[Off topic] Mission discussion / copyright

Oh well now, if I theres pizza at stakeā€¦

4 Likes

Actual lolzā€‹:rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Yo. I live in Chicago. Pizza is a commodity here.

So itā€™s Giordanoā€™s, or Lou Malnatiā€™s if you go chain.

But there is also Pequodā€™s.

Or I like Freddyā€™s in Cicero.

And to answer the question, itā€™s simple. We just start a record label, and sign all the submissions. Then everyone keeps what the earn.

(Fixed it when I realized I can hardly run a DnB Battle, much less a record label)

3 Likes

Try to turn down the volume of your ego, try to listen to what Iā€™m saying.
This soundcloud method is basically what a record label does but you are doing without signing any contract with the artist, so any income generated will end up in your pocket. If this is really your project then youā€™re scamming people.
If, on the other hand, yours is just a clumsy proposal, letā€™s all talk about it together and work it out better, because that way it wonā€™t work

1 Like

In the four months this DnB Battle thread has been running, money has not been raised once, and no one is complaining about the format for submitting or listening to tracks. And certainly no-one has called into question the integrity of @BLKrbbt or need to stress them out.

I think it is a non-issue right now.

Back to DnB people! :drum::guitar::musical_keyboard:

9 Likes

As for myself, Iā€™m unlikely to come up with something anyone would pay money for anyway, so the world can have my practice track :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome by the way!

Iā€™ll add you to the notification list for all the upcoming battles.

I apologize for the thread derailment.

But a little drama is kinda fun every once in a while.

The SoundCloud these get posted to is not monetized in any way.

1 Like

To think. This is how it all started!

@Crudeliar Weā€™re all just a couple of beat bros/broettes trying to inspire each other to learn/stay active in pursuit of our passions, while life throws constant curveballs.

Moreover, I have yet to hear of a better alternative to soundcloud from your point of view in regards to uploading multiple user submissions that are intended to be released all at once. Lastly, The file that you generated and sent has a way you can alter the information to include your details as an artist/owner/publisher/etc, which of course can be removed on the other end, but your original file contains the date of creation, which will undoubtedly be in your favor should any malpractice take place (because of the time difference). In the event that one would wish to take any legal action, which would be absolutely idiotic even for $50k worth of streaming cash because like @Symian mentioned copyright police will want a word with you, followed by lawyer fees, possibly losing actual important income generating opportunities due to stress, and the biggest cost, which would be wasted time.

2 Likes

I am aware of what you are saying, I do not question the good faith of the contest, but precisely because there is no trick I do not understand this passive aggressive attitude, this desire to close the discussion. Is there perhaps something to hide?
My experience as an artist tells me this: when you deal with a record label in an informal, friendly way, it always ends very badly. You are not aware of the possible value of what you are delivering, but the business jackals know it very well and will try to take advantage of it as much as possible. At the end of the movie it always happens that you will never see the earnings generated by the song.
My advice is never to make this mistake: itā€™s really painful, itā€™s like having your child kidnapped

Never give away a master of your own track to anyone unless there is a signed contract in the presence of your lawyer.

2 Likes

Speaking for myself, yes. Iā€™m a huge music nerd. :older_man:

If you want to discuss anything about streaming/ in terms of monetization a quick google search garnered the following results below. Also, itā€™s off topic and a new thread should have been opened discussing it or a private message would have likely sufficed, without the unnecessary slander. Everyone that attends these challenges here is already pretty familiar with each other even by display picture, with other OGs being around here much longer. If I were in your shoes I would try to focus my concern towards lurkers, and unregistered visitors (hope I didnā€™t cause more sleep to be lost). What about posting directly to Elektron? Would that make Elektron the owner of creations (dank memes included)?

Here is a post from reddit 4 years ago discussing a ā€œbeat marketplaceā€ called Distrokid, and I am assuming not much has changed favorably for artists especially since then, as my previous research concluded.

$500, as a label owner - so across 600 tracks LOL" - u/makashka

3 Likes

Damn @aarb420.

You bodied themā€¦

ā€¦with receipts!

I think that @Crudeliar raises some good considerations that may be relevant to some people - if you are protective of your work and are more focussed on commercial releases then this defintiely isnā€™t the venue to share those tracks. Iā€™d consider someone wanting to steal my track a good problem to have but having heard the quality of Crudeliaā€™s work I can see why that might be a concern for them :slight_smile: I suspect youā€™ve possibly enjoyed commercial success and know that space well?

Iā€™d echo others and say that this like the other challenges is just a formalised way to muck-about. Might even be worth stating @BLKrbbt that any track submitted is public domain. That said, without any formal contract in place anyone sharing their work remains the sole copyright owner, giving BLK a file doesnā€™t transfer ownership. In fact itā€™s technically him at risk, if he were to profit from our work then we could sue for the royalties.

Not that I doubt BLKā€™s intentions for a second. If for no other reason than creating compilation albums from amateur musicians is a terrible business plan :laughing:

5 Likes

Not even 3 battles complete and weā€™ve got our first dis track.

Is this some fucked up marketing scheme you crazy cats brewed up for ā€œDrum nā€™ Bass Battle #5 - No Vaselineā€?

I love foreshadowing

5 Likes

You know what they say.

If you start getting haters, you must be doing something right.

Iā€™m assuming itā€™s hate. I havenā€™t listened to it.

I choose not to engage.

2 Likes

Iā€™m on the fence if I should take this discussion down or not, but I believe itā€™s better to sort this.

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE FURTHER IN THIS DISCUSSION PLEASE STAY FRIENDLY.

@Crudeliar you raise an interesting aspect but it was wrong to do it in a middle of a battle thread. There were many ways to handle this more elegantly, including contacting us mods about this so we could talk through PM without all the fuss.
But I understand your concern.

@BLKrbbt I understand how hard youā€™ve felt about getting insulted in the middle of a battle thread, can we forget this and take it as clumsiness? Reading @Crudeliar it doesnā€™t seem they mean real harm.

6 Likes

My own opinion, as someone who participated to battles for 8 years on op-forums and tried to launch such tradition here is that it takes some effort to set this up and follow this till itā€™s over.
I can blindly assume @BLKrbbt and any people organizing a battle have pure intentions.

In 8 years I have never seen using SoundCloud being a problem. Nor one track becoming a hit.
We do it for fun, as a practice, with uncleared samples, doing our bestā€¦

While the point stays theoretically valid, IMO the few listenings donā€™t make it a case in reality.

Maybe it should be made clear that every track submitted is under one of Creative Commons license, so that itā€™s a bit protected and not used to make money by a third party.

7 Likes