OT midi tracks send 1 octave up midi notes?

Hi there, I just spend a lot of time debugging some midi processing scripts just to discover that my :elot: sends midi notes 1 ocatve higher than what is expected.

I verified lfo’s, arps and stuff, all off and it makes the same on every midi track…

Plugged directly in the analog four same thing : I send a c#1 plocked trig and the A4 plays c#2…
Same result using trigs or chromatic keyboard…

Is it a known bug, some sort of feature or is there some not so obvious function I misses that transposes my midi tracks ?

Thanks a lot and sorry if this is a dumb question…

Check transpose in Arp page. It is active even with arp off.
Try with a new project.
Midi notes octave numbers can differ, depending on manufacturers, but OT and A4 have same numbers theorically.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I have to infirm what you said, transpose in arp setting does not affect notes when arp is off, tested, it only has an influence when I switch on arp.

I tried a new project, same story, one octave up.

A4 is plugged directly into the OT midi out, no other gremlin in the chain…
Tried with the DN, same story…

I’m used to octave difference between different manufacturers but between synths from the same brand, seems curious…

That is workable once you know it and definitely not a show stopper but I would like to know if this is a bug, design or user error…

Transpose in arp page works when arp is off.

The fact that it seems not to behave that way for you may be a clue to what’s happening here, but I can’t think of anything rn

I Don’t think I ever checked whether the OT’s chromatic page numbers match to standard midi octave numbering, maybe they don’t - and maybe the default note parameter reflects that

1 Like

Thanks for taking time to answer…You’re indeed absolutely right !

In fact it always affects note trigs but only chromatic keyboard when switched on, hence why I thought I actually had to switch it on for it to work…Identifiable user mistake ! :smiley:

So everything works as expected, arp transp is set to 0 and my notes are 1 octave up ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone could confirm this behaviour ? I absolutely hate this kind of little things that tells you : " Hey buddy, you missed the obvious, you have no clue"…

3 Likes

I confirm what you infirmed, transpose works with arp off, and I confirm for octave up. Playing C4 with a new OT project, C5 is recorded in A4. :zonked:
I wrote theorically above, I wasn’t 100% sure without checking but I’m quite surprised that the reality is different ! :smile:

We are now totally infirmed confirmed users ! :slight_smile:

Now I’m not alone anymore, let’s send a bug report !!! :smiling_imp:

No…I’m going to wait a lil’ longer…Just to let some :elot: guru validates !

I don’t think it’s a bug, but a note reference problem, 0-127 midi notes values are the same I think.
Maybe they corrected it in A4.

Let’s call it a misunderstood feature then ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Anybody with OT and A4 can confirm that OT’s lowest note is C-1 and A4’s C0. :wink:
Note value = 0.
Apparently the most common is C-2.
For Yamaha it’s C-1.

1 Like

I was just noticing this recently while using a Yamaha synth as a controller… I have sometimes used other things as a controller, and I don’t think I noticed it then. But I may have to experiment with this a bit to confirm that this is what I’m seeing.

I thought there wasn’t an exact standard and some midi devices will refer to the octave number one off from others…

The midi note numbers should be the same, like OT sending note 48 will always trig note 48 on a device, it’s just the octave reference is different…
Maybe I made that up… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s from the Logic X manual, octave reference is configurable in logic and the description talks of two standards, Yamaha and Roland…

1 Like

Finally the only “real” problem if any, is that we have different standards between products from the same brand…:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep C60 is the reference, I wrote something wrong I read about Yamaha, which seem to use C3 > C-2 as lowest.

A4 uses C5, so A=440Hz (#69), is A5. A4 would have been easier to remember…

1 Like

Haha

1 Like