OT lessons?

You need to read the manual, other guides, and print / read all the Elektronauts topics about Octatrack.

13 Likes

Take breaks!

There is more in life … NOT

2 Likes

there is only octatrack :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Nothing like spending months messing about and getting to know it yourself. Not everything requires the manual, apart from perhaps button combos.

2 Likes

Ahhh, the manual…

7 Likes

Once you read the manual enough to know it by heart like @Open_Mike (he knows all Elektrons manuals), you can have a break, shave for example, and then practice Octatrack until you know all button combinations…

10 Likes

You all are making me want one :smile:. Sounds like a fun journey.

*downloading manual

13 Likes

Just think, for only a grand or so give or take, you could be as crazy and obsessed as we are! :smiley:

Might fulfill your sonic dreams, might frustrate to your wits end…
Most likely both!

6 Likes

Already crazy and obsessed, so that would be a good fit :smile:
Have been contemplating off and on to go for it for months. Want to take the sampling trips and videos a step further so I think octatrack is growing slowly into a necessity. We’ll see. Just started with reading the manual so I guess I’m now camping near the rabbit hole :wink:

10 Likes

Do it!! Learn it fast and then my student fees will help fund it!! It’s a beast. I probably should have stuck with the Digitakt but stereo synths sound insane one here!!

1 Like

Hey gang- heres one, when I switch patterns one of the tracks caries over, is this normal?

Pattern 1: 32 bars bass drums
Pattern 2: 64 bars, bass drum synth.

When I switch back to pattern 1 from two, the synth keeps playing from a track on pattern 2 until I stop. It loops over and over, oddly playing a 54 note phrase of a 32 note pattern.

Any thoughts?

Is it an audio track or a MIDI track?

In pattern 1, do you have any trigs on the track which is still playing from pattern 2?

You’e gonna love this Peter. So on the Digitakt, each pattern is autonomous from the next, so however you effect say, pattern 2, it won’t carry over to pattern one. The OT carries the track settings across all the patterns in a bank unless you p-lock them, at least that’s how this project is set up. It’s good in one sense because on the DT you can be chasing levels or copying and pasting settings pages if you discover you like the tweak you did on a track on pattern 3 and you want it on pattern 1, for instance ( I hope this makes sense)

Anyway, goofy me had the loop on a track on pattern two that would continue to play if I switched to pattern 1 while it was playing.

2 Likes

Hey gang, Very confused about something.

On track 4 I have a sample. I want that sample to play on patterns 1-3

on pattern 4 I want to put a new sample into track 4, in fact I want to sample something in there. I still want patterns 1-3 to have the original sample.

Track 4 is a flex track on all the patterns.

Questions

A. Should I swap out the sample from the recording buffer and pull the sample from the pool on track 4 for patterns 1-3 and keep the recording buffer clear?

B. By having that recording buffer clear, can I now sample onto track 4 on pattern 4?

C. Do I have to use p-locks to change the sample on track 4 pattern 4 from what resides there on patterns 1-3 for the sample to change when I go to that pattern?

This process is a lot easier on the Digitakt, where the tracks on the patterns have far more autonomy.

Hope this makes sense!

This is where Parts come in on the OT

3 Likes

So the only real way to swap samples between patterns is within a pattern with parts? so your basically stuck with 8 sounds across your pattern banks???

This is also where parts are used…

1 Like

I don’t know how others work with the OT, but I sample lock a lot. I get 64 samples per track if I want.

1 Like

Thats what I need to figure out. that was the buzz word. “Sample lock” and Im assuming this works across patterns

You can parameter lock per step the samples…press the step and turn the tempo knob.