OT lessons?

Ok, one month in I have a general working knowledge of this thing, but I’m hung up on one thing still, and I think it’s a carry over from the digitakt.

Patterns can change the trigs
Parts and scenes change the parameters ( very broadly speaking)

However without p-locking each trig, is there a way in patterns to change all the parameters and samples on a track from one pattern to the next? For some reason I thought holding PTN and making changes did it, but I was wrong. I’m a little stumped on how to compose big variations if I have to chose between changing parameters or the trigs on a track. Am I missing something? am I unimaginative?

hmm sounds like the kind of situation where you’d use parts? why not use parts?

2 Likes

Yes. Assign a pattern to a part. That part contains all the changes you want. So for example pattern B1-2 is assigned to Part 1. Pattern B3-4 assigned to part 2.
So now changing patterns automatically changes parts. The changes you want happen when the pattern change happens. Easy.

2 Likes

because if you change the trigs on a part it changes them for all the parts, right?

Oh wait

I see, so I change the trigs on a different pattern, and the parameters on a different part!

1 Like

mind blown. this is huge. this is like finding out butter is good for you. Thank you :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

congratulations!
A friend of mine had the same experience recently, realising Oh that’s what parts are for
I think parts are ‘hidden’ a little in the OT, it’s not obvious that they are important.

1 Like

Level 1 completed. :panda:

5 Likes

How do you assign them? I dont use parts but that would make things different

Open the part menu. Select your part. Press yes. Done.
Enjoy.

2 Likes

Now screw with your new part a bit til unrecognizable…then hit reload part. Like taking a warm shower.

1 Like

So it just remembers the last part you were in on that pattern? Thanks

1 Like

This was a big night

Yep. Each pattern always has a part linked to it.
You link a part to it simply by opening the part menu and selecting one (press yes to confirm).
No that pattern will use this part.

If you only need some variations in your patterns, it’s best to copy the part you came from to another part and then change what you want to change.
This way you don’t have to start from scratch.

1 Like
  • If you want to change fx types and track machines, no choice : parts. Good for a new song / drastic break.

• If you just want to change some samples, you have to think about sample locks.

• If you want to keep fx / machines but change their settings radically, you have to think about scenes.

Advantages to avoid part change : all the common settings are set once. Example with 2 parts : if you change tracks’s levels in Part 1, you have to set them in Part 2. Same for all common parameters.
Smoother changes with scenes, from very subtle to drastic.

I oftenly feel alone on those points, maybe because I’m not a Merlin’s guide adept…:sketchy:
Feel free to disagree or agree with me! :content:

2 Likes

I do like how when you switch parts on a pattern change you can jump to a new scene though… so you can do a build up with reverb and delay and filters, then when you change pattern the scene changes and doesn’t have all the effects

2 Likes

Good example.

Doable with arranger but that’d be great to assign scenes to patterns! I think I’d use crossfader, plocks or arranger (scene assign). You can plock faster with parameters live recording.

As I change parameters and fx types a lot, part changes anoy me because you have to change things twice or more. I mostly use scenes and crossfader, but it may not suit everyone!

1 Like

The arranger is great for scene automation.
I’ve been using the arranger a lot for multitracking recently which makes the whole process much easier.
I also like to use scenes for pattern variations in the sense of scene not active = original pattern, scene active = pattern variation.
With the arranger doing scene automation, I can leave the crossfader at scene b and arranger does the rest.
No need for a scene list on a notepad and thus I can focus more on other stuff during tracking and record longer sections in one take.

The reminder function is also pretty cool. I’ll usually use it as a notification for transitions.

3 Likes

You’re not alone here :wink: Although i liked Merlin’s guide a lot, i rarely use multiple parts, for the same reasons you mentioned.
Where i use parts is: I have a template project where each part (which i gave a descriptive name) is in essence a complete template. So i have a looper template, a more midi focused template and a template with some standard flex tracks, just in one project.
And dont’t forget you can use a part for a simple reminder: rename it to the tempo of you’re ‘song’ for example.

1 Like