OT lessons?

And if you have the memory all 8 track recorders can record while the 8 tracks playback :wink:

Also remember the arranger does not necessarily have to be “just press play” as it can be set to infinite loop, so for example each row can have your pattern, mutes, BPM, offset, length, and scene all set, then you can manually move to each row in an improvised way, you can jump around to each row in any order you want, and you can even set remarks to label each row to make remembering what is where, it is very flexible, and does not have to just play in a linear and automatic way.

5 Likes

I’m an old rocker, still think I’m basic song structure. At the very least for learning this thing today has been massive familiarizing myself with it. Honestly now I want to free up tracks to get more interesting with the patterns I have in arrangement.

It’s like training wheels haha

I really wonder if the project i’ve been working on for the last few months is going to be ok. This is the first project i’ve done where I use static for all samples… I got on a kick where I took most of my favorite samples and made them into samplechains with OctaChainer, and then loaded them all into static slots…So most of my tracks are Static samplechains, where I parameter lock slices per step. Love this way of working, but I feel this impending doom that everything will lock up… Or, at some point the OT won’t be able to do it any more. Could that happen? I am plocking the start point, but just to change slices. I’ve got about 5 songs that are stuff I would’ve never expected to be able to do…But, what do you think? If the OT starts to choke, what happens? Is it possible to loose everything? Or, does it just slow down and glitch a bit untill you stop doing what your doing?
Thanx in advance for thoughts

What do sample chains do?

It’s a good way of reducing the number of sample slots you need to use.
For example:
You have 64 snare drum samples. You don’t know in advance which ones you’ll want to use on your tracks. So you glue the 64 individual hits together as one audio file, which won’t even be that long, maybe a minute.
Then you use OctaChainer (faster) or the sample editor (possible but slow) to slice the sample into 64 slices.
Once you get the idea you’ll realise there are a lot of ways to use it - bearing in mind that slices can be manipulated by LFOs and scenes for example…

Now you can just have the one snare sample chain in all your projects and patterns, and to choose the snare you want, you just have to go through the slices til you find the one you like best.

4 Likes

That what I suspected! Very cool.

@sezare56 I saw you on a complex OT AH thread. Super basic question ( I’m already trying to complicate my life after I sold some gear) considering an AH. Can I Send and return The individual tracks from the OT to the AH essentially using the mixer in the OT?

A sample chain is a sample consisting of up to 64 samples, all with slice markers dividing them. Using these chains in slice mode makes possible to play said samples across a keyboard, or plock a given slice per step.

1 Like

I’m really exited about this.

Or, you can play/record the samples in “slice mode” across the OT keyboard. I come up with some of the most amazing stuff this way, depending on how I make my samplechains.

Yes. Selected tracks > CUE Out > AH > Input AB (Thru track)
I’d mute selected tracks, to send to CUE only.

1 Like

Do you do this in the sample editor?

Hmmm. I’m not sure about the “glue” part. With OctaChainer I just dropped my samples in and it makes samplechains, complete with slice markers. I didn’t glue them together and then go in and slice marker them… But, when you do get the file from the OctaChainer, it will also generate a OT file that goes along with it on the cf card, which holds all the data for slices.

This is gonna be a really dumb question, but im trying to wrap my head around the AH and the OT. Can I say, add a filter to track 1 from the AH to the OT and then distortion to track 2 from the AH to the OT without either effect effecting the other track or is the AH just one setting and I’m just setting the amount in the OT?

I understand glue as making 1 wav file (+. ot file) from 64 wav files.
That’s what Octachainer do.

AH channels are not independent. All you can do is use Freq Pan, making an offset between L and R filter frequency.

2 Likes

I understand what he is saying (and it’s a good waay to explain it), but maybe this was just with an older version on octachainer… What I am saying is that octachainer didn’t only “glue” the samples together, it also placed a tiny bit of silence between the samples and placed the slice points in all at once. That’s how I did it.

Cool, I figured, but you never know, was feeling greedy, haha. Torn between the AH and the Boum.

That’s an option among v3 new others indeed.
Fade ins, out, Megabreak…

I’d try both. I want a Boum too.

1 Like

Hey will octachain convert 96k to 44k?