OT Gainstaging (Sorry)

Hi

I have found numerous posts about this stuff, including one with a lovely diagram

…but my experience varies from this so wanted to know if anyone can give me a definitive answer…

Im sending a kick from machine drum directly into my interface and it peaks at -3.9db

If I plug the MD output into input A/B on the OT it comes through at -20db, which isn’t any -12db multiple lower than -3.9db, so can’t be achieved by adjusting any of the gain stages by any ‘full’ amounts

Then I set the input volume on the THRU track to 64 and it adds 6db and lands at -14

Then set the AMP to 64 and get around -3.5db

So the 12db adjustments on each knob surely aren’t accurate!?

I just want to send my MD through the OT clean! And know im not messing with it (unless I want to) on its journey!

Help appreciated!

…don’t get lost…when it comes to all sorts of daisy chaining equipment and “proper” gainstaging control, there’s only one basic rule…make sure, each single element of such a chain gives out a close to maximum output gain possible first of all, one after the other, and all final finetune trimming takes place at the last possible stage in that chain…

ot has quite some internal gainstage controls along any signal path…
so first make sure, ur md is actually really giving out max…then level ot’s first input gain until u see actual orange, red in best case only blinking rarely…what u want is solid orange…
don’t compare it to actual db numbers too much…ot has to take care of all sorts of possible summing up, so any direct comparison to naked numbers any audiointerface might read out for u, can’t be really compared in the math ur trying to do…

1 Like