OT Gain Staging

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out something considering OT gain staging, maybe someone got an explanation…

im trying to prepare the OT for a live performance. I render samples for playback in ableton and the import them to the OT.

what I noticed is, the imported samples are way quieter than the rendered ones on the computer. so i ran this test that you can see below:

I chose a curtain sample, and streamed it straight from the computer into the soundcard’s line inputs, and did the same with the same sample, straight from the OT.

with all the OT configurations set to default, there’s a 27dB drop (!!) compared to the same sample that is on the computer.

I’m aware to all the stages in the OT where you can raise the sample volume (sample editor gain, track’s amp, track vol, master/main vol etc). But still, I can’t figure out by default the sample is being played 27dB quieter ?? am I doing something wrong? or that’s just the way it is?
(All of the analog in and out in my converter are operating at nominal trim level of +4dBu)

thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 19.28.52|350x500

First thing you want to do, if you haven’t already, is increase the gain under the File Attribute page.

Next is to use the board search :wink:

3 Likes

if you take all the water from your sink and put it in your bathtub it’s not goint to fill it - the OT inputs have high headroom, even higher on MK2 - the OT is capable of taking voltages your soundcard possibly can’t dream of generating - the soundcard is the sink in that analogy - there are even more topics on OT gain etc - so read through those for insights on what you can do within OT to minimise the controllable aspects of the issue, but keep in mind that the clipping FS digital range is not comparable across two devices you need to look at the analog potential of both if you send via analogue - the OT handles far hotter signals than nominal +4 both inwards and out

3 Likes

I tried!! (: