OT Feature Requests Thread (active)

It would be really cool to be able to mute and unmute individual trigs (without losing any parameter locks).

I’ve been using the Midibox SE v4 a lot lately and having the actual triggers exist on a separate layer from the other parameters is such a simple, powerful tool for building and manipulating sequences live, and something the Octatrack really can’t replicate. On the other hand, parameter locks are way quicker and more performance friendly than the MBSeq’s parameter layers and some of the trig conditions the Octatrack has are more powerful than the MBSeq’s equivalent. Something as simple as being able to edit plocks on a muted step, or start with a pattern that had no active trigs but already had complex plocks already set up on every step would go a really long way toward combining the best of both styles of step sequencing.

Same with the arp pattern editor, it would be nice to have an option to mute individual steps instead of clearing them.

1 Like

Ohh yess!

I really hope that this makes it in a future firmware update. :upside_down_face:

Isn’t that exactly what you do when you turn them off?

Afaik you can’t mute a step in the arp setup without clearing it.

1 Like

Ahh sorry I’m in the LFO designer. You mean midi arp?

Yep, the midi arp. Double tap to go to arp setup. It’s basically a sequencer inside the arp. Very powerful.

1 Like

We just want more scales :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, MIDI arp and the main sequencer. It’s nice to be able to clear them quickly but just as often it would be nice to turn them off but retain all of the plocks/arp value.

Obviously step skip would be cool, too, but I didn’t want to suggest too many things in one post.

I just keep feeling like somewhere between the Midibox and the Elektron sequencer is the perfect performance step sequencer.

If the arp had step muting (and still let you adjust the step value while it was muted) and one custom scale per part that’s all I’d use for sequencing most of the time. It’s still really good but if you could define a user scale and mute/unmute steps on the fly with the main sequencer just doing changes while the arp did the actual melody it would be spectacular.

Or even a single user-definable scale would be enough.

1 Like

Alright I’ve got an easy one (maybe):
I want to be able to play slices live via trig keys or external midi controller, WITH sample locks. Right now, it seems that performing the slices overrides any sample locks, so you’re stuck with whatever is loaded into the Machine/Part. If you could use sample locks, you could roll through a bunch of different samples in the same song, and just continue hitting the same pads/trig keys.
I know it’s possible with Parts, but those are fairly limited. Being able to do this freely within a song would be really fun, and open up a lot of creative possibilities.

Don’t know it this was already mentioned by anyone, but ‘scene conditions’ like In Drambo would work really well. Think of it as multiple fill options. It’s a trig condition linked to a specific scene.

Also, borrowing from the opz: hold trig and enter second trig will determine length of first held trig.

+1 for naming cc parameters.

3 Likes

Just got the Octa (first post here), and here are a few things that I was surprised I couldn’t do. The thing can just do so much, I guess I just want it to do it all! These are a few issues that I’m having.

First off, normal mutes mute the audio stream for a track. Is there a way to quickly “mute MIDI notes” so that trig releases and effect tails are not abruptly cut off when performing?

Secondly, I have a pattern where the final snare needs to be a different sample, and be sent to reverb, during the fill. To me, this would mean a sample lock and parameter lock, but only when FILL is held. Is that possible? There is already a “normal” snare on this same trig, I want it to change just for the fill.

If not, I have a possible feature request. In the Track Trig Edit menu, add one to edit the “fill trigs” of the sequence. This way, fills can even replace existing trigs with new ones, instead of only adding or subtracting trigs. Make sense? Maybe this would half the number of sequences in a bank or project because it’s basically a fast switch between two sequences at that point, but maybe this could be a project setting (“Pattern Fill Type” perhaps?).

(I just realized, this could solve my first problem somewhat. if the “fill sequence” was empty. An “empty” fill = mute all tracks, but effects tails preserved).

On the topic of effects, all reverbs should have the option to be mix or send style. If there is a way to achieve send-style effect with the spring reverb for instance, please let me know!

A bit less pipe-dreamy, it would be nice to have the Digi-style visualized envelope editing (and options for envelopes to be lin log or exp), and useful parameter values for things like compressor attack / release / ratio / threshold, reverb time, etc. I get that the point is to use your ears, but in a live setting this would be invaluable for quick tweax. At least in the manual, it would be nice to note where, for instance, common compressor ratios occur on the 0-127 scale of the Octa.

My feeling is that 1.40 will be the last major update to the OT firmware, so let me know if there are workarounds for these issues. I will be hard at work finding my own!

edit: grammar

I guess you mean mute audio tracks trigs…no midi implied.
An option to mute trigs only with track mute buttons would be great.

You can with Arranger, Plays Free tracks.
You can also assign AMP VOL to scenes…
Edit : yes, /FILL

You can set a trig B playing a second sample just after a trig A (first sample), a step after, with microtiming -23/384 (very close).

Trig A : /FILL TRC sample 1 (Played without FILL)
Trig B : FILL TRC sample 2 (Played with FILL)

1 Like

thank you! that fixes my FILL issue in this case.

i guess when i first saw “conditional locks” used interchangeably with “trig conditions”, i assumed that it would be possible to do parameter or sample locks based on probability/conditions.

1 Like

3D Sound for silent discos! Sounds sweeping in from below and above! A multidimensional sound mangling wonder!

C’mon who wants to see binaural encoding per track on the OT?

It would be nice to be able to set conditional trigs on record Trigs.

2 Likes

A “SYNC FREE” LFO mode.

ie. an LFO that syncs on START but never resets.

2 Likes

Welcome. A Sync Once lfo?

Possible with TRIG mode, if the trig is triggered once (1ST trig condition, one shot). Not working for all scenarios.

1 Like