OT controlling Bass Station II - weird Cutoff MIDI behaviour

Hey octamates,
Using my OT to control a bunch of desktop synths but having some wird interactions with my Bass Station.
I am running MIDI out of the OT to a quadra-thru and also running MIDI out of the Bass Station into the MIDI in on the OT.
With this set up whenever I move the Cutoff dial on my BS it starts flicking up and down erratically.
I’ve tried Paramater locking each step for the BS however the problem still occurs creating some pretty undesirable sounds.

Is this a problem that others have encountered?
Is it a problem with the BS or is there a fix in the settings on the OT?

Cheers,

LXDN

Sure yo’re not unintentionally sending midi CC’s to the Bass Station?

Whats the CC for Filter Cutoff?

Nah doesn’t seem like it because if I leave the cutoff dial alone it doesn’t do anything.
Cutoff is cc105 but even when I disable the cc on the OT it does it.
I’ve tried just messing around with sequences programmed into the BSII and it doesn’t do it - only when it’s plugged into the OT.

Sounds like you might have a midi loop going on then?

When you remove the BassStation MidiOut -> Octatrack MidiIn cable, does it all work fine?

what’s the CC direct connect setting and local control for BS2 ?

1 Like

if i remember correctly, the BS2´s cutoff knob actually uses TWO (!) MIDI CCs to achieve a higher resolution… 256 values instead of 128.

that causes some problems with some sequencers… you have to assign/record BOTH MIDI CCs ( 16 and 48 according to the chart ) in order to sequence the cutoff knob.

(see: http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/novation-bass-station-2 and the midi implementation chart in the back of the manual)

now, that shouldn´t be the sole cause of your weird jumpy behaviour, but I think it might play into that… check the other user´s suggestions re: MIDI loop!

1 Like

Probably neither. Follow the “Octatrack as a MIDI control centre” setup example in the Octatrack’s manual and (as hinted above) remember to disable Local Control on the BS2 as specified in step 1 of the setup example.

Thanks for the suggestions Octamates,

Sorry for the late reply as well.

I have tried all of these suggestions and nothing seems to work thanks for taking the time though!

yep