OT alternative for live midi-sync'd looping?

Some alternatives that might fit your requirements…

Backline Engineering: RiffBox
Pigtronix: Infinity Looper
Looperlative: LP2

They may do only some or all of your specified quests, more or less. I don´t know, as I don´t have experience with any of them (but big interest in loopers overall).

same problem here…
the tc helicon voice live 2 has a syncable looper option with six independant recording slots…easy to use with a dedicated footcontroler from tc for under 40 bucks…

but did you put the ot to the test, when it comes to jumping back on the midi clock train…?

i was not convinced…would’nt call it smooth and tight…

a usb stick in a pioneer player next by, might be the better gap filler…

seems our beloved PERFORMANCE GAMPLER is best, if you got TWO of them…

maybe that’s why they’re out of stock…he he…everbody who’s seriously performing with them came to the same solution…
i’ll better get another one…

have you checked out the red sound soundbite?
http://www.livelooping.org/tools/tabletops/red-sound-soundbite-xl/

syncs to audio very well and primarily does what you are asking - that is what I use when I need to load a new project on the octa

An ipad (ipad 2 or newer) running Loopy HD with an Akai EIE interface works pretty well as an extra looping device in my rig, but I would suggest using a mixer and an FX send (or subgroup) rather than running OT straight through.

The app is MOSTLY stable and syncs well with OT.
Most commands are midi learnable (rec, start, stop, loop length, etc), so hands-free operation is possible.
Bonus of Akai EIE is that you get a usb (x4)->midi solution on top of 2 mic pre’s, 4 ins, 4 outs and 4 inserts. Pretty cheap, too. Not much more than the Kenton usb->midi box.

For me, Looping with the ipad and foot controls isn’t quite as satisfying as using a EHX 2880 (which I stupidly sold), or other dedicated hardware looper but is far more flexible and the tablet is an admirable multi-tasker.

Second the Pigtronix Infinity Looper pedal. Small form factor and syncs well to midi clock. Pigtronix just recently released a final firmware update that improved midi sync as well as midi cc commands to control many functions via another midi controller or foot switch if necessary.

I sync the Infinity with the Octatrack’s midi clock. Also use a SoftStep2 to control the functions of the Infinity. The iConnectmidi4+ works well merging the clock from the OT and CC info from the Softstep2 . IMO the 4+ is the best midi interface on the market now.

I looked around for a while for a looper with midi clock sync and the Infinity works great for me. Pigtronix also seems to be active with firmware updates and listening to requests from its users.

thanks for all the replies :slight_smile:

only just seen them, as thread subscription email alerts aren’t working for me :frowning:

the pigtronix sounds like it might be a goer. also the ehx 2880/45000. the ehx might have the edge as it has faders to play with dry/loop levels.

• do any of the pigtronix knobs (or midi controllable params) do a simple source/loop wet/dry mix? that and solid midi sync are my 2 main requirements…

I’ve never had any sync issues with the KP3 and have been using it for years. The Repeater is also wonderful, would never part with mine.

Not cheap but the Roland RC-505 syncs very well to MIDI. I turned to it when I got rid of my Octatrack and have never looked back. It just works. I should say it follows Roland’s usual ‘almost brilliant, not quite finished’ ethos but nevertheless, I like it a lot.

I’m also interested in the Pigtronix. Looking to use it in series on the end of my chain (MdM—>A4—>Rytm) and not in a mixer/aux send configuration. I wonder if it is just a matter of turning up the Loop 1 or Loop 2 volume and adjusting Master accordingly, and just coordinating turning down the input signal (Rytm) when looping begins.

Anyone using the Pigtronix to loop Elektron boxe (playing beats) without a mixer?
Wasn’t even that interested in looping until I came across this. The form factor and price are just right.

Strymon timeline is a possibility. It has several controls that can only be accessed by midi, such as loop level (for your fades), and you can also start, stop, play etc your loops by note or CC commands. The eventide H9 should fit the bill for this too.

The upside would be bonus killer effects unit if it works…

1 Like

Good point! I also like that there’s a HPF inside. This would be handy in conjunction with the mix knob for mixing the loop out of the program material.

Edit:
Apparently the Timeline’s looper does not sync to midi clock? :-/

1 Like

Good point! I also like that there’s a HPF inside. This would be handy in conjunction with the mix knob for mixing the loop out of the program material.

Edit:
Apparently the Timeline’s looper does not sync to midi clock? :-/[/quote]
Darn - you’re right. The delay does sync to clock, but not the looper. BUT…you could trigger the loop record/play via midi command from the OT, and then the loop would play in time while changing projects. This is how I use it in my band - Ableton starts and controls the loops while I just play guitar. I began by sequencing “play” every 4 bars or so but soon realized that the loop didn’t really drift too much. I bet it would work fine for transitions.

Eventide H9 looper can sync to midi clock though. And it has full midi implementation for all parameters…

1 Like

Edit:
Apparently the Timeline’s looper does not sync to midi clock? :-/[/quote]
there’s a real gap in the market for a simple high quality midi-sync’d stereo looper, i’d say!

pretty sure it’s an adaptation of the TimeFactor looper, which is mono… also limited to 12 seconds at high quality.

i experimented with my TimeFactor as a looper for a while. it didn’t work too well - really noticeable drop in quality when using the dry/wet knob to move from source to the loop :frowning:

some info here: http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/p/9785/44717.aspx

EDIT: oops, i wrote Timeline instead of Timefactor!

pretty sure it’s an adaptation of the TimeFactor looper, which is mono… also limited to 12 seconds at high quality.

i experimented with my TimeFactor as a looper for a while. it didn’t work too well - really noticeable drop in quality when using the dry/wet knob to move from source to the loop :frowning:

some info here: http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/p/9785/44717.aspx

EDIT: oops, i wrote Timeline instead of Timefactor![/quote]
You are right. The inputs are summed to mono.
Boo. Back to looking at the Pigtronix. I can get by without the wet/dry knob.
Have two hands for loop level and level of Rytm going in to get the job done.

have thought about the op-1? That instrument is fantastic for loops.

Hey guys is anyone aware of any newcomers fitting the bill.

I’m trying to sort my transitions with my MD and DN live setup, without buying an Octa.

Not to keen on the rc505 either, ideally itwould have 2 stereo ins and midi connectivity

iPad! I’m currently saving up for another OT (sold mine a few months back) and will use it with the iPad for transitions and looping.

1 Like

Cool, which apps do you have in mind?

I have an iPad so that’s great news!

Need to dive into dongle town to get midi and audio sorted probably though.

Loopy HD or Audiokit Looper

1 Like

Personally, I’d use AUM or Audiobus with the ENSO looper AU, that way I can apply extra fx, mix and match, and do other things. To be fair, I haven’t really tried any other loopers.