OT + 1 ...who's on the guest list?

I have QY100, same audio engine and I really like it too. You can sequence quite a few general midi parameters like cutoff, resonance, attack, decay, fx send…

@MichaalHell do you have OT vs QY70 examples ?
OT sequencing QY100 sounds only + voice :

1 Like

:rofl:

Thanks for the tip. Now I’m glad I open this thread, may have never stumbled upon this. Learning new techniques is always fun, but sometimes you.

I also have Typhon and Micromonsta 2, tiny powerfull combo with OT !

And my A4 MKI is great…:content:

3 Likes

Haha, yeah these toys are too much fun…

But in the end, I need as few devices as possible on my table. And I think the OT + A4 should be more than enough to make any kind of music…nevermind the simple stuff that I make.
I somehow needed to convince myself the A4 is worth it for me (in 2021 :wink: ) because I usually don’t make these kinds of pricey purchases. Nevertheless I enjoy hearing everybody opinion and learning something new along the way.

1 Like

Doesn’t the QY100 have a input as well?

I guess you could use it as a send effect then as well.

I love How tight the drums sound!

That reminds of my favorite OT+ QY trick that i havent been able to do on any other device… open up the attack on the ADSR of a drum track on the QY and the drums instantly becomes a pad. It’s a super cool trick. You can create these swooshy drums if you program it correctly.

1 Like

Yes I did similar things. :wink:
On my example above I used random program to change sounds (midi processor).
The Distortions are pretty good too…

The input is mono guitar / mic level, but seems usable.

2 Likes

I have had that feeling, sold it, regretted it, bought it. You don’t have to use a synth to “it’s full potential”. I bet you wrote your message on a computational device more powerful that those used to put a person on the moon…and you used to ask about what to buy next.

In answer to your question, Digitone. Very rewarding and immediate, good presets, as deep as you want it to be when you want to go there.

4 Likes

…the a4 is deep…
and truu analg capabilties are not first thing that come to my mind if i hear u sayin’ ur into hiphop… but u can make it super flexible jump around analog rompler if u want…
get some preset pax and keep in mind, all that sound and parameterlockin capabilties and the fact, that each sound needs only a little twiddle here and there to make it a unique sonic event…no need to be a full fledged sounddesigner…really…fool around with it…

buy some keystep thing to play little licks that u record in realtime…
harvest it’s scale jump capabilties…
the a4 will make u happy promise…will give ur hiphop thoughts a special taste…

and hell yeah, ur ot midi sequencer needs a sonic comrad… some old second hand rompler from emu like mophatt or some roland cheese thing through ot’s inputs will be ur icing on ur hiphop cake…keep ur eyes open on some 2nd hand option for this…some cheap catch is easy to find, when it comes to romplers…

Oh no…you are giving me the good old “buy both” here I see!

Well for now I’ll keep the A4 and I guess at some point I will need a keyboard…so instead of a MIDI keyboard, why not a Rompler… or a DNK…and down we go into the rabbit hole. Let’s see, I’ll keep you guys posted so you can encourage my addiction :wink:

@igtheflig The ad has already been taken offline…don’t want to regret anything.
And yes, presets it is for now.

1 Like

Hey, first off I subscribe to your channel if you’re the same SON WU guy on Youtube. Great videos, you’re well on your way with your OT journey. I always search for fresh OT content on Youtube. I added the Octatrack to my Digitakt only setup and eventually found myself in search of a synth that I could feed the Octatrack and focus my Digitakt on strictly drum / fx one shot duties. The Korg Wavestate is what I settled on.

It has a hierarchy that goes from Performance, which consists of 4 Programs, each of which can consist of wavesequences that encapsulate butt loads of samples. The 4 available programs in a performance can be individually controlled by 4 separate MIDI channels. This means you can use the Octatrack to sequence four separate polyphonic instruments on the Wavestate.

There’s a shitload of Wavestate programs available so you don’t have to worry about sound design if you’re looking for starting points, and with vitually unlimited patch storage you’ll never want for flexibility. The editor is really cool as well. Anyways, that’s my suggestion to your missing piece. Looking forward to seeing whatever direction you choose in your videos.

1 Like

@sezare56

Here’s video I put together sometime ago with QY70 and OT.

https://youtu.be/kC1W29Du4CQ

2 Likes

Cool. All that said, I think I am about to sell mine, but only because my circumstances have changed AND I want to try that year of depth thing that @PeteSasqwax posted about in another thread and focus on fewer bits of kit.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s me, thanks for subscribing!
I still got looooots to learn about the OT, but maybe showing some simple beatmaking helps people that are afraid of the big bad OT to give it a chance. I haven’t even thought of the Wavestate and didn’t no you could play 4 timbres separately. Certainly a good suggestion.

@MichaalHell Subscribed, especially like the 3rd jam!

1 Like

Your suffocating in decisions. Keep both Elektrons and learn them inside out over the next year. Thats your Project. Stop looking and start learning you will reap the rewards later down the line(yes they are perfect for each other).

2 Likes

Can’t argue with that.

On top of the four separate timbres, you can access up to 64 performances through PROG CH messages. You essentially have 4 fully polyphonic synths in one unit available for individual tweaking with the Octatrack, which can also auto-map CC messages per channel.

…sorry…not sorry… :wink:

but we’re speaking about a 300 bux investment that’ll boost it all…
don’t worry…any super cheap old rompler will do, once u run it through the ot inputs and feed it with ot’s midi capabilties…the more u abuse the fx and resample stuff, the better…

and that ordinary keystep arturia is under 100 bux new…and really a gamechanger for any synth…ur a4 will benefit from it big time…
also here…fool around with realtime recordings…and then just drop some plocks and soundlock jumparounds in there later on…and ur hiphop can grow to a newschool hiphop style that the world really needs, after endless ages of trap 'n stuff in this genre…

1 Like

Not too shabby!

@reeloy too late I posted my first Trap beat in…HipHop will stay stagnant :smiley:

Anyway…to sum up: I am stupid and the A4 is staying…for now

3 Likes

Just to dart back to OT+QY70

I think @ylva has the best showcase of the pair…

This is probably one of my favorite songs still.

5 Likes