OT + 1 ...who's on the guest list?

While I was lucky enough to stash away some cash to add an A4 mk2 to the OT I am immediately rethinking/regretting my decision.

I use the Octatrack to make Hip Hop -ish beats mainly and I love it’s sampling capabilities, but of course monophonic playback can be quite limiting. Also I like to switch between using samples as my foundation and playing my own melodies.
Because I liked the OT I thought, why not go with another Elektron device…here are my immediate findings:

• I am not a synthesist (meaning I have no freakin clue what I am doing really)
  • I am torn between wanting to learn synthesis better and just wanting to make songs
  • I like the sounds of the A4 + very nice drums
  • I love the idea of being able to sculpt sounds like some fellow forum members here, for more relaxed soundscapes
  • I am worried I would regret selling the A4
  • I don’t need 2 Elektron sequencers
  • I have a feeling I’d be better off just getting a rompler module to add to my OT using its great sequencer (like a 101/707/Kross…)
  • I should focus more on the OT learn it inside out (which a Rompler wouldn’t distract me from as much)
  • I feel I am missing keys
  • Should I get an AK, DNK

What are your thought? Has anybody been in a similar situation?

Thank you for being my therapists elektronauts.

This. Just do this.

11 Likes

…but my GAS? A Rompler surely won’t hurt or distract me, right? :wink:

Get a Jupiter Xm.

The XV-5080 model in the Xm will satisfy your rompler cravings, and the knobby interface and simple vintage Roland synths will make learning synthesis easy if you want to go there.

Alternately, get a used Korg MS-20 mini. Plenty of knobs, patch cables aren’t strictly necessary, but will help you understand and love-hate mod matrices.

Edit: I’ve got the AK, OT Mk2, MD, and MnM as well as a bunch of non-Elektron stuff. There’s nothing wrong with having multiple Elektron sequencers - they play nicely together - but they are rather complex beasts that benefit from having a mental model of how a synth really works. Before the Elektrons, I had a MS-2000 and a SuperNova II Keyboard. Knobby synths are the best for learning. The MS-20 isn’t the only way to go, but it is a pretty good way to start on a budget.

If you want some GAS fun, check out the '90s and early '00 half-rack units:

• Roland XV-2020 (probably very similar to what you get in the 5080 with the Xm)
  • Yamaha MU series
  • Various little Korgs

Unfortunately, these are in demand for vintage video games. It isn’t much more money to get a MC-101 with it’s sequencer and more modern UI. Then you think about upgrading to the 707, or the MV-1. And then you see the Jupiter Xm, which has a few Boutiques built in.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input!
I thought of the Jupiter Xm as well, but somehow I find the price quite steep…and call me superficial, but I don’t like the look of it. But I may be convinced otherwise. I think that if I go the Rompler way I won’t be sound designing that much anyway…
I was thinking even a Korg MicroX would give me a lot of functionality. But then again, does the Jupiter Xm do multitrack via USB? That could be a factor as well.

I won’t get the X-5080, because I don’t want a rack unit. I would like some extra functionality, of either having a keyboard, or if that isn’t possible, it functioning as a groovebox (like the 101)

1 Like

MC-101 is not a bad idea. It’s a Zen-Core groovebox with a rompler section, a VA section that peeps (including me) like, 128 voice polyphony, 4-part multi-timbral, etc. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with just using presets and not getting deep into sound design.

I have a Keystep 37 as a keyboard controller for it. If you’re not a picky about keys, it’s got a good feature set for the money.

4 Likes

The Jupiter Xm and A4 Mk2 both list for $1500, but that is a lot of money if you don’t like the way it looks.

The Roland, Korg and Yamaha romplers are all good - if you like the sound and you find a good deal then absolutely jump on one. The only romplers I’ve owend were the actual XV-5080, Korg EX-5, Yamaha TG-77 and TG-33. Other than that, it’s all synths, samplers and drum machines for me.

The Jupiter should multitrack the audio via USB, but I’m DAWless at the moment and don’t yet have a Xm, so hopefully someone else can confirm or contradict this.

Nice, I didn’t know there was a proper VA engine in there as well, thought it’s all romples.
Keystep 37 looks nice…do you know how it compares to the Launchkey 37?

@obscurerobot Yup that is a lot of money…and seeing how cheap the 101 is on the used market it seems like a lot of wasted money to me. At least for my purspose.

Do I know? No, not really.

About the 101 VA engine…

2 Likes

Here is an extended discussion of the early Roland romplers. TL;DR: The D-50 turned into the JV series which turned into the XV series which turned into Xen.

The reason I bring the predecessors up is that the romplers can be thought of as VA synths without any knobs at all. This isn’t important now but if you get the MC-101 and learn it you will reach the point where this all becomes clear. (when you understand that samplers, synths and romplers are merely regions on a common spectrum, you will Fully Understand)

Another advantage of a used 101 is that you can easily sell it on if find you really wanted the Xm. There are fewer Xm buyers out there, so you will probably take a bigger hit selling it.

Interesting stuff. Next question:

As there are limited controls on the 101, can you easily control the complex engines via MIDI CC from the OT? If most parameters are accessible that sounds like a great deal.

@obscurerobot thanks for the info!

1 Like

You can get the MIDI implementation chart here:

Over 20 MIDI CCs are supported

Thanks, I know how to find it :wink:

I was just asking if it works in real life application. Are you using it with the OT? Sometimes MIDI implementation on paper worked better than the real thing (Sampletrack, I’m looking at you)

So far I’ve only tried using it with its own sequencer, not the OT. But there’s a couple of peeps on the forum who have - I forgot who they are though.

Also your remark about complex engines compels me to call attention to the synthesis editing onboard the 101 - you don’t get access to deep synth editing on it like you do on the 707, even though both run ZenCore.

If you get the 101 and don’t plan to get Zenology Pro software, it will pretty much be just a preset playing machine. You will only have access to basic synth parameters like filter cutoff, attack and release times, etc. In your case though, perhaps this is actually a good thing, as you wish to avoid wasting many hours of synth patching.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I could live with it as a preset machine.
Tough call, I think the A4 is such a nice device, but it feels like I am not ready to use it to it’s full potential. Using it as just a preset machine seems to be wasting a lot of money. Also I feel it would be a bit much using it together with the OT. Whereas OT + Rompler could keep me focussed.
But then again, would I miss the A4? HAHA…1st world problems.

Another Option of course would be a DN, but then again I would feel like I have to get into sound design…and the sound option are more limited.

I reckon it makes a difference whether you want keys or not.
I’m a fan of keys - I think it can really speed up / inspire songwriting to have them (not for everyone of course) - and in some ways it might be more important than whether the sound source is synthesis or rompled.
My suggestion: hook up a MIDI keyboard to the A4 (or swap for an AK if that’s an option). Take your time learning it. Maybe buy some poly-synth sound packs for it, if you haven’t, to give you sounds to work with while you figure it out.

3 Likes

You are 100% right…there are some really nice sound packs out there. I like the spontaneous chords a lot for getting a groovebox workflow going. Still gotta check @taro 's FM drums out…very much looking forward to those.

After just playing with the A4 again I think I am way too hasty. It sounds super nice, it somehow all gels together really easy and nothing sticks out. I think I would regret selling it.
So what, if I just use presets for now…nobody cares.
Maybe I will learn to be a Hainbach later down the line :slight_smile:

And since I still got a monologue lying around which I won’t need anymore, I might just flip that for a MIDI keyboard (although it’s a really great synth).

1 Like

My favorite OT companions are Yamaha QY70 and Nord Lead/Rack

Qy70 is 80s cheese personafied but even with its very few parameters over the rompler engine you can get alot of suprising results, lush pads and deep basse are not out of the question here…

Nord Lead is great because it compliments OT so well, plug midi in and out between the two and you can very easily use the midi learn function on OT. It has four outputs and Ot has four inputs (match made in heaven).

Between the two you have a great balance between programming and playing. And nord lead is deep but not to deep (like the A4)

Another sleeper is ZOIA because you can use it for so much… you can create a midi template which will fire of OT flex recorders and at the same time use it as a send effect for OT.

2 Likes

OT is a beast, you don’t need anything else but whatever it’s buddy is, it’s going to extend its capabilities to the double or even more.

Check Barker thread to learn how to quickly sample chord chains and use it in OT.
It’s such a great fun!
Indeed the lack of polyphonic sample playback is annoying, but rather easy to overcome.
I used Decent sampler and Barker MIDI files, really smooth workflow.

1 Like

There are many synths that would do a fine job. But…
Benefits of keeping the A4 and hooking up a keyboard:
-it can do all the classic synth sounds (bass, leads, chords… ) and do them very nicely
-it might prove useful in the future to have the compatibility with OT if you’re syncing them up
-A4 modulation options can be nice for playing expressively if you have a keyboard with velocity, mod, aftertouch, any of that
-you already have one
Downsides of keeping the A4:
-not an easy synth to learn synthin’ on
-polyphony is only 4 voices
-only does synth sounds, no helicopter or applause presets
-you don’t get to buy something new

4 Likes