OT 1.30C upgrade error

Hi,
I accidentally interrupted the OS upgrade from 1.25 to 1.30 version which resulted in a glitch sreen as shown in few topics here at elektronauts like this one: Octatrack Update Error

I tried to upgrade the OT with sysex file via MIDI>USB using C6. Octatrack’s triggers started blinking so I was hoping in a good result, however, at the end of the process the OT display ended up with this message

I used a simple MIDI to USB cable from Alesis https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/USBtoMIDI--alesis-usb-midi-cable connected to Apogee Duet MIDI input and repeated the process, but nothing changed.
Is it because I need to use the previous OS version or some “boot up” sysex file, not the latest 1.30C?
I contacted the support team and I am waiting for the reply, but maybe somebody here can help me?
Thank you

Peter

I always copy the new OS on the CF card to install it. Did you do that first, when you interrupted it ? You can’t do it anymore ?

1 Like

Like @sezare56, I always use the binary file ( i.e. DPS-1_OS1.30C.bin ) copied onto the CF card, and upgrade via the [ Project -> System -> OS Upgrade ] menu.

You don’t need any previous OS to upgrade.

So you see this screen everytime you power on? Or is it just sitting in this state now?

2 Likes

When i wanted to upgrade the OS I was upgrading by using the binary file on the CF card, but the loading took ages and I lost patience and wanted to restart the OT and do it again, and that was the big mistake.

So yes, now, when I turn on the OT I only have the glitched screen (this one - https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/2X/8/8cc9a368555b76c323f63db159bd6d0137814bb4.PNG ) and I cant get to Project menu or choose the CF card. I can only get to settings when I start the OT and hold down the FUNCTION button, so the MIDI upgrade (trigger button num 3) seems like the only option.
When I upgrade it now using MIDI I get this message at the end of the process of ID and TRANSF failure as mentioned above.

So thats why I think I probably need to use the previous OS version, or I am wrong?

in what location do you place the bin file? my OT says it cannot find my file

thanks

edit: - i figured it out and moved it to the initial folder

THAT METHOD IS WAY MORE COMFORTABLE than over sysex

youch, that’s a bit of a pickle, not being alble to get to the project menu to load from the CF card… that’s definitely the least painful/fastest way to go. sysex is slow.

have you tried another sysex tool, like syxes librarian? (https://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/)

if that doesn’t work immediately, try changing the “pause between messages” setting…?

Exactly, that is what I am struggling with right now, not being to able to do anything else than just the MIDI upgrade option while holding down FUNCTION while powering on the OT, otherwise I only see the glitched screen and cannot use the CF.

Thanks for the tip, I will check the app when I am at home. And what do you mean by the “pause between messages” , is it an option in the sysex librarian?
Thanks

yeah it’s an option. basically sysex sends a bunch of messages and if you send them too quickly, some midi interfaces/computers/receiving devices can’t handle it.

may not be the problem, but worth a shot.

1 Like

So I downloaded the sysex librarian and started midi upgrading, however even with slowering the midi messages, the process was finished with the same result ID and transf fail.

Yesterday I received an answer on ticket support and was told that the problem, the error message, is in communication between MIDI and OT.

As I said in the first post, I am using a simple Alesis usb to midi in/out going to apogee duet midi usb input.
I am thinking of trying different MIDI to usb cable or a standalone MIDI interface. Maybe M-Audio Midisport?

Ah, not possible to use the CF Card?

Try and slow down the sending of the midi file.

Or open it in a sequencer, and drop the tempo down to say 40 bpm and send it that way.

2 Likes

I would plug the Alesis usb to midi in a regular usb port, not in apogee’s.

1 Like

I’m missing something… why are you plugging that Alesis cable into your Duet? you should plug the Alesis cable into your computer, and the midi out (black) to the midi in of the OT. then select the Alesis device from Sysex Librarian or C6 and send.

2 Likes

Because my mac did not recognize the alesis midi cable in the C6 or Librarian interface preference, it just did not show up. I have just tried it out on a different computer where the alesis midi cable is shown in the preference and it finaly works, the process went fine with sysex librarian and OT is booted completely. Thank you very much for pointing out this idea, now its fixed!:slight_smile:

Now it feels like it was trivial, but it just did not occur to me and I am really glad I could share it here at elektronauts
So thanks to everybody here for helping me out with this problem!

1 Like

yay!!! glad you finally got it.

fwiw, I would recommend picking up another midi/usb interface, for situations like this. it looks like Alesis stopped selling that cable, and dropped support for it. I’d go with a proven name that’s not likely to do the same. I’ve had an m-audio uno for fifteen years and it still works; it’s my backup option when nothing else will.

2 Likes