Organelle pairing with Digitakt

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been following the Digitakt pairing threads but haven’t seen much about the Organelle.
I have previously convinced myself that the Micromonsta would be exactly what I need but after looking more into the Organelle, I think it would do the job plus more.

Does anyone have much experience with sequencing an Organelle with a Digitakt over midi?

Thank you

1 Like

I’m not certain if anyone here has that specific combination

That’s what I’m wondering.
Manuals, for good reason, don’t do into detail about quirks between specific devices.

Obviously, in theory, these two devices should work great together but I am specifically asking if people have any experience with them together and if there are any strange drawbacks.

I appreciate your input though and will be looking further into the organelle and its functions.

This website has so many people with very diverse setups, I just figured there would be someone that had the same non unique idea I did.

if you don’t need multi-timbrality, +1 to Micromonsta
I have it’s previous incarnation - Audiothingies’ P6 - and I think it’s a really nice and versatile synth… Micromonsta is pretty much the same except 2 more voices and some sort of wavetable synthesis afaik

EDIT: specially if you’re not into coding, then Organielle might be worth checking out

1 Like

Yeah, I am looking for a poly specifically to be paired with the Digitakt. I really love the Micromonsta. Looks be powerful and very easy top use, but I am into coding and maybe think the future of my creativity looks brighter with the Organelle.

There’s a massive thread on here on the exact same topic:

I’ve got both a Digitakt and an Organelle! Unfortunately, I only recently got a Digitakt and have only spent about an hour with it so far, and I haven’t tried to do any DT/Organelle pairings yet. So I’m not of much help to you, sorry. But I’m very much keen on these two being good buddies.

The Organelle is great for sample fodder. People have made absolutely beautiful and deep patches for it that you can get lost in and end up with amazing sounds. It’s then pretty simple to sample those in the Digitakt and see what you can do with them.

I’m guessing you’ve heard of the new Orac for Organelle - if not, get yourself to the Critter & Guitari forums and read/watch material on it. It’s a game changer and it’s going to keep getting better in future versions. Of relevance to you, Orac has “MIDI learn”, and the author Mark Harris demonstrated it with a Squarp Pyramid sequencer. I would think that makes it easier to use the Digitakt as a MIDI sequencer for the Organelle and exploit the MIDI CC parameters to their fullest.

Anyway, I’m a huge evangelist for the Organelle. I think it’s brilliant and the community is a passionate one. Monome Norns is going to be ported to Organelle soon enough, too, so you can expect it to just keep getting better and more powerful for years to come.

2 Likes

P.S. Ran into this video a few days ago - it’s lmnts (a port of Mutable Instruments’ Elements module) on the Organelle controlled by Digitakt. From the comments, it sounds like the Digitakt is recognized by the Organelle and can receive MIDI over USB. It also works the other way, with the Organelle being recognized by the Digitakt. The youtuber also confirms that MIDI learn is pretty easy to do with Orac for mapping parameters.

2 Likes

I gave Organelle+Digitakt a test run today, and everything works perfectly. I had Digitakt outputting MIDI signals via USB to Organelle, and Organelle’s audio output running into Digitakt’s input. With Orac’s MIDI learn, you just twist a knob on the Organelle, then twist a knob on the Digitakt, and the mapping is complete. Then you can parameter lock anything on the Organelle to your heart’s content.

I did this with brds (the Organelle port of Braids). Shape, color, and timbre were all being modulated and sequenced on the fly for some very wild sounds. Then I sampled it on the fly, modified it further, sampled that on the fly, modified it further, and so on. All of this feels very intuitive and musical and I very quickly ended up in some kind of strange Metroid parallel universe.

I have no doubt I could create entire albums with just the Organelle/Digitakt combo. Very happy with this pairing and I feel like the possibilities are endless.

10 Likes

This is exactly the post I was looking for.
Thank you so much for sharing, I truly appreciate it.

I will definitely be looking into Orac’s MIDI Learn.

2 Likes

@mods shouldn’t this thread be merged with this one?

1 Like

So the Organelle acts as its own USB MIDI host then? Wow, that’s a game changer, I am totally considering it now!

An alternative that is also multitimbral is Zynthian, and it’s open source. It can also run Pure Data patches, according to their forum. This one also should receive MIDI over USB from any machine, and it has MIDI CC learn too. It is very competitively priced if you are willing to do the soldering, but they offer it pre-built as well.

http://zynthian.org/#section-home

Can’t decide between the Organelle or Zynthian!

1 Like

I would say no cause this thread is specifically looking for info on the dt organelle combo. Maybe a title change would be good.

Of course I’m not a mod so just opinion.

1 Like

Sorry, I wrote the title without thinking.

Okay, how about that?

1 Like

OK. Now with that new title + focus it makes sense to have a separate thread.

1 Like

Hey All,

I do have this setup - I like it — I’m actually using ORAC on the Organelle so that I have two different paths: 1) the input to the Organelle from my mixer SFX path so that I can process the sound and 2) the second path I’ve put a synth with effects on it… From there I use the MIDI learn function to then use the MIDI tracks to setup and driver the effects.

I like it so far and highly recommend the ORAC setup to help you out.

Thanks,
Brett

3 Likes

Wow, that sounds like a really awesome idea. Thanks for the comment.
I have a video on my watch later about ORAC, I’m excited to learn about it. It sounds like it’s the type of thing that you can’t imagine all the possibilities until it’s in your setup. I may just have to figure out what bill not to pay and buy it.

1 Like

Quick question that I have not been able to find in the ORAC threads (I hope it’s not too silly):

Let’s say I have a bass in one of the ORAC layers, and a polyphonic pad on a second layer. Can I assign MIDI channel 9 to the bass patch and channel 10 to the pad patch, ending up with a multitimbral setup?

2 Likes

Seriously considering the organelle as my next purchase.

It has been mentioned before but this ORAC implementation could be a serious game changer. I think it is an absolute genius move by critter and guitari to go open source because what they got back as a result is insane.

Before orac; organelle could be many instruments/devices but only one at a time

Now: it can be all those devices at the same time AND the audio can be routed between those patches for further complexity and creativity…

Kinda beggars belief. Kinda like a virtual modular…

Well played critter and guitari.

Well played

2 Likes

Yes, you can… they can also be on the same channel but different messages… it is done through a MIDI learn mode where you turn/adjust the MIDI slider/knob you wan to control on the Organelle and then twist the parameter knob for the associated item on the Organelle and it maps it for you.

You do have to setup the ORAC MIDI and audio routing info.

Here is what I’ve got setup in ORAC (if I get time this week i’ll do a quick vid and post it here)… but basically I have loaded what ORAC calls a 4x4+2 (for 10 total slots)… slot 10 is always the router setup… so I have 9 others to play with… slots 0-3 make up chain 1, slots 4-7 make up chain 2 and slot 8 and 9 are the last two (note the total chain starts at 0 so that 0-9 are 10 total slots…) I have audio in going into chain 2: (so that slot 4) have and the input audio then flows through 4, 5, 6, 7, and then into the shared chain of 8, and 9. on slot 8 I had a one of my fav reverbs and granulators there… then the full audio signal came out of the Organelle into my mixer… good fun for sure…

A few things to note ORAC is cool for sure, but you have to patient in learning the dials and setup… and, it is a nice processor, but you still can overload it if you are not careful when loading up effects and synths and all of that… but it highly flexible for sure.

here is an overview:

And here is the more full walkthrough:

Thanks,
Brett

4 Likes

I’m so glad i found this, i just bought organelle “not new version” and digitakt and I was wondering if digitakt can run midi via usb, because i have octa and i know it can’t receive midi via usb. was almost about to buy extra cable. so i’m soooooooooo glad it works Thanks for the info guys