Orbital green album live

Anyone been to see this tour yet, I went last night and what struck me was how good and magnificent the green album section was. The second section ‘brown’ was almost equally as good but then in the encore they played a couple of more recent tracks which felt out of place, different style and showed just how good those early tracks were.

2 Likes

Green and brown. Fantastic. Worst encore ever. I had really hoped they would stick to what they announced or at least play stuff that was around that time. The box, Are we here etc.

I heard they dropped the SG track at Bangface this year. Didn’t think they would but they did. Really hate that sleafords track as well. Properly burst my bubble.

1 Like

And drop the scary spice wig Phil. That track was the worst one of the night

1 Like

Yeah I just don’t really know who they are targeting. Just odd

1 Like

Had to google out of curiosity … lol.

To be fair they’ve always had that element in their shows, not sure are they still doing the Belinda Carlisle / Bon Jovi mashup. Always felt like it worked back then, but it’s been years and I’ve always been very much … in the mood … when I’ve seen them.

1 Like

Yeah seen them do the Belinda mashup quite a few times, but it’s not half as jarring and misplaced as spice Girls. Yeah like you say in the mood. The encore was a terrible departure mood wise I thought

Their early work was what got me into dance music and live performance, but they seem to have lost their way the last few years, I thought the last album was awful. Hope dusting out the old tunes reinvigorate’s them to get back to what they do best.

1 Like

It’s kind of a shame but I feel like a lot of the old big dance acts have lost their way. Underworld are probably the most credible in my opinion and are still amazing live, but they’ve done their fair share of not so great new material too. I guess it’s just hard to sustain that level of creativity and freshness long term, especially as you probably lose touch with club culture etc.

2 Likes

I sometimes wonder if the old way of doing stuff influenced the tracks, in todays world anything is possible and not always for the better, maybe the hartnolls should bring out the mmt8’s and Atari and do it the old school way

2 Likes

watched their sets from Coachella, which were a nice mix of the old and the new. and the tracks they played from the new album slapped just as hard as the classics to my ears. hadn’t heard the Spice Girls sample before – it totally works with that piano break. last year Chemical Bros and Underworld brought it and Orbital felt like they’re still at that same level. top geezers

1 Like

Saw them in London on Saturday, Green and Brown sets were phenomenal.

1 Like

Both parts were amazing! (London show)

1 Like

Got to say though I thought satan was epic at the end, back to the old school version but then slowed down for the breakbeats

1 Like

Saw their Coachella set, which I assume was the same as their tour. Such a weird set to go from Halcyon into fucking Spice Girls remix. Don’t know how I’d react if I was tripping balls. One minute I’m hearing the best part of 90s music, then the next minute I’m getting the worst. Still think it’s pretty kick ass that they’re still rocking along with Underworld and Chemicals. Hopefully FSOL and The Orb could do some live sets of their mid 90s stuff as well.

2 Likes

Yeah underworld have been consistently amazing. I have seen them maybe 10 times I think since the early 2000s. Every time they smash it. Especially when they did the whole of dubnobass at Royal Festival Hall.

1 Like