Opinions: MKIIs vs each other and vs DigiT_ _ _s

Okay, so I’m back!
I once owned several Octatracks, Analog Four and a Rytm. I have Digitakt and love it but once the Digitone was announced, I started to think about what I really need. I really like what Digitone seems to have but I know the new MKII units should not be overlooked.

I would like some opinions on the following options:

1. OT MKII vs AR MKII. Is OT MKII still necessary since AR MKII can sample? I know AR has strength in Overbridge support but OT has strength in sampling and I really want to know if anyone has a strong, valid argument that supports both or one over the other.
    I’m wondering if I should:
    a. Even get another OT (MKII)?
    b. Also get a Rytm MKII -or-
    c. Just Rytm MKII?

If anyone knows a link where Rytm MKII’s sampling is compared to OT MKII, please pass.

1. A4 MKII vs Digitone. I have Digitakt so Digitone would be nice to have but…
    What is better on A4MKII that is not ever going to happen in Digitone?

(other than Analog)

I assume the trio are still Elektron’s top of the line products and expect there to be major differences but I really don’t want to end up with just more crap, I can’t enjoy using. I’d be happy adding just a Digitone but I do desire the ability to do more and don’t want to be limited by the Digi_ _ _ units, if that is possible.

Thanks in advance!

If money is no object, then ideal combo, in my opinion is:
OT + AR + one synth (either AF, or DN [Digitone] )

There are other analog synths out there, and if their parameters respond to MIDI CC, you can do p-lock type stuff when sequencing it using OT. However, virtually nothing out there does what Digitone does. If you’re into funky hard gritty crystalline, then Digitone is for you. If you like round analoggy classic tones, go for AF.

AR MKII sampling engine is the same as Digitakt’s. It’s mono, can sample from ext or internal sources, and is VERY workflow optimized, it’s quick and dirty and I love it. OT sampling as you recall is a complex beast which allows you to integrate live stereo sampling into a performative context, as well as build more diverse soundscapes because of stereo samples and lots of effect processing power. Also slicing and timestretching.

What were your reasons for selling off your OTs and re-buying again? I myself have done that once. Had an MKI back in the day, now holding on tightly to an MKII.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I gather that you’re saying OT is still relevant and has not been made obsolete by AR MKII’s new ability to sample. I kinda figured that but I’m still not sold on going back to OTs. It’s a love-hate relationship because I did a lot with them but working inside, was about as fun as figuring out how to undo complex Intermediate Algebra equations with substitutions of functions, all in your head. Sometimes the weird results would be fun, other times I just liked to play with what I could see (software).

I like the portability of Digitone too… I’m wondering if I can get by with just adding a Digitone and maybe an OT MKII once I get over our previous relationship.

Yeah, if you want to build upon the DT you’ve already got, get a Digitone…and just focus on sharpening your workflow with those two beasts. Digitone can do sawtooth waves and voice stacking and stuff, so you can get “analog-esque”
Then later down the line, OT MKII.

2 Likes

the real questions is how much do you value real analogue drums ?the price is really high for the type of sound you can get, i mean the uniqueness of the AR is the sound engine,the samples you can get from any other sampler ,vst etcc.
is your music really depends on the classic toms and hi hats of the analogue world ?
for me the combo octatrack + digitone is doing really well for now, i have a very wide sonic spectrum, the digitone is really amazing, not turned on the A4 since i got one.for the drum things i bought an old electribe ER-1 and this box is still doing the job done for 150€ !!! added a po-32 for toying around new sound! and also sampling a lot from elastic drum on the Ipad, the digitone have good drums sounds too.
i think has you already have the digitakt, the octatrack is more or less covering the same field(samplin) but is more powerfull, all you need is a synth not a drum machine, the synth can feed your sampler with drums and make synths ( obviously) the AR will make super drums but mehhh synths.

1 Like

Chiming in with a sort-of related question dec 2019.
(please redirect this post to another post if its more relevant elsewhere, thanks)…

Got a OT-mk2 and A4mk2 both recently, so just starting out. As I was working with them, was thinking to myself…Can an Octatrack produce Analog sounds that sound as rich, fat and analogy as the A4? or does the A4 have a specific Analog engine… I really dig the classic fatness and richness of the A4;
But is the A4 even necessary if I have an OT? Talking more about sound here than performance. I also had a Digitakt and Digitone but sold them, figuring that learning these 2 boxes is enough, not 4, but I might buy a Digitone again…for its digital wavetable character.

Surprisingly, Analog Four is analog!

OT Overdrive and filters sounds really different.
You can play OT through A4 analog circuits, or other gear like Analog Heat, Analog Drive, OTO Boum…

OT drums + saw, OT filter, thru AD

Same through AH

4 Likes

You should also consider what your workflow is like and which devices fit with it.

For example having that little keyboard on the A4mk2 is (unexpectedly) one of my favourite features as it greatly speeds up putting in notes as opposed to turning knobs to get the same result

1 Like

That sounds great. both ways.

1 Like

From a pure technical point of view the OT cannot reproduce the complete sound palette of an A4 and from a performance point of view the crossfader with scenes is definitely no replacement for 10 customizable performance knobs.

But if the differences are worth to own both is a complete personal decision (what sounds you looking for and how you want to operate the machines).

3 Likes

yeah, I really like both so far. Have MD2 +drive also. so I’d like to keep all 3.

How about OT mk2 and an OT mk1…with the A4,MdM…not crazy.