OpenAI - ChatGPT: what a surprise

Jesus :joy:

1 Like

In the style of Namlook:

In the style of Autechre

How to be miserable

Eno

Is the Octatrack still relevant in 2023?

3 Likes

lovin the last one :joy::+1:

1 Like

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/god-i-love-the-virus/191003/49

1 Like

GPT4:

4 Likes

In computing power, but garbage in, garbage out.

A lot of GPT and the like rely on the prevalence of “user generated content” which may not be worthwhile.

Finding people to give me answers has rarely been a problem online.

Finding people to give me useful answers generally is, I’m testing many ML tools but their models are so generalist and dim that it’s almost patronizing. I don’t blame the algorithm but whoever designed the bots to confidently spout bullshit with the swagger of any human trying to speak above their ability.

4 Likes

Absolutely, which is why advances in fine tuning are so interesting. For less than the cost of a Machinedrum, you can fine-tune a state of the art model.

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 7.35.01 PM

That’s the computing time only, isn’t it? you still need to collect the good data to train it on, and filter out the bad. That’s not something you can do by renting CPU cycles.

2 Likes

Correct - but the human part shouldn’t be difficult. Scour the earth for the world’s ten best children’s educators. Offer them $500k/year cash + 0.01% revenue share. $5M annual budget to train and improve the education models, and you can effectively support an unlimited number of students. I imagine this is on the very low end for a small, local, private school and the potential reach is global.

Edit: people with terrible, retrograde ideas will do this first.

Ugh, almost certainly true :sob:

1 Like

Introducing the Elektron DodecaFlow, the next generation performance sampler and sequencer from Elektron, building on the legacy of the Octatrack. The DodecaFlow takes the powerful sampling and sequencing capabilities of the Octatrack to new heights, offering enhanced features and a refreshed design that is sure to captivate the hearts of musicians and producers alike.

Key features:

16-track polyphonic sampler with time-stretching and pitch-shifting capabilities.
Advanced 64-step sequencer with parameter locks and conditional trigs.
High-resolution touchscreen interface for intuitive navigation and editing.
12 stereo audio tracks with individual outputs and real-time sample manipulation.
12 dedicated MIDI tracks for controlling external gear.
8 CV/Gate outputs for seamless integration with modular synthesizers.
Dual USB ports for storage, MIDI, and audio interface capabilities.
32GB internal storage and SD card slot for expanded sample storage.
Enhanced real-time effects engine with 4 assignable effect slots per track.
Advanced sample slicing, chopping, and resampling tools.
Robust performance features, including crossfader and assignable macro controls.
Overbridge 3.0 support for seamless integration with DAWs and advanced parameter control.

Physical description:

The Elektron DodecaFlow is housed in a sleek, matte black aluminum enclosure measuring approximately 340mm x 200mm x 50mm (WxDxH). The front panel is ergonomically designed with a comfortable slope, allowing for easy access to all controls and connections.

Connections:

12x individual 1/4" TRS audio outputs for each audio track.
2x 1/4" TRS main audio outputs (Left and Right).
2x 1/4" TRS audio inputs (Left and Right) with dedicated gain controls.
8x 3.5mm CV/Gate outputs.
1x 5-pin DIN MIDI In, Out, and Thru ports.
2x USB Type-A ports for storage, MIDI, and audio interface functionality.
1x USB Type-C port for power and computer connectivity.
1x SD card slot for expanded sample storage.
1x 1/4" TRS headphone output with dedicated volume control.
1x 1/4" TRS input for an expression pedal or footswitch.

With its powerful feature set, intuitive interface, and versatile connectivity, the Elektron DodecaFlow stands as a worthy successor to the iconic Octatrack, promising to inspire musicians and producers to create even more groundbreaking performances and productions.

1 Like

This idea is problematic on so many levels. How do you determine who the best child educators are? What are the motivations/incentives behind whoever is paying for this? What’s the point of this obscene compensation? There’s simply no way to do this without being infected by problematic ideology from beginning to end. Which is true of most things we do and that’s precisely why diversity is so important. Your proposal is the inverse of that, a kind of mass standardization of education. What we need is to reverse standardization and to go back to a notion of education where its purpose is the full development of the human being(with a diversity in ideas of what that means) instead of the glorified job training it has become. Like all new tech, AI is nothing but a distraction from that.

4 Likes

I know this is not a serious topic, but I am utterly amazed by the possibilities ChatGPT.

Lately, I’ve been thinking how to use my DN to create more gabber music. But I need some unconventional sounds for it and i am far from proficient with that machine.

How can I create a supersaw sound?

Pretty accurate…. I also asked for a distorted kick and a “hardstyle screech’

Besides the fact that I don’t know which algorithm the answer refers to, it seems pretty accurate….

Next I am going to try if it can help me to understand pickup machines, and to help me improve the OT sound quality :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ask it :wink:

1 Like

I’m not sure where I stand in the whole debate of whether these chat tools are genuinely genius or ingenious copy-pasters but this is a pretty big fail, although it sure sounds legit!

Given the amount of debate / whining online, I would expect it to determine that this is, in fact, a lie

:frowning:

4 Likes

very dystopian to imagine a world where education is based around asking chatgpt prompts.

Plato had essentially the same concern about books, although he put the words into Socrates’ mouth.

If you ask GPT-4 about Overbridge for OT, it gives you the wrong answer. But if you ask “are you sure?” then it will correct itself. GPT-4 seems a drunk friend at a bar or an inexperienced teacher. Quality is inconsistent, but if you ask clarifying questions and double check you can get to a good answer quickly.

It seems clear that LLMs will be extremely powerful tools for almost everyone and far easier to use than query languages like SQL. As long as you keep some good advice from the '90s in mind:

trust no one

3 Likes

i think when it comes to education i think it will always come down to whether educators are using tools mindfully and productively or if they are using them as teacher replacements. but thats its own crock of worms

i will say the last thing any developing child needs is /less/ human to human interaction

3 Likes

Fair point… but I would expect some level of “are you sure” to be built in to the model.

2 Likes

OpenAI did put effort into harm reduction, which is detailed in the GPT4 paper below. I suspect that their reasoning is that they built enough safety in for a general purpose demo and input from adversarial humans will help them detect and correct more problems. This has the additional benefit of showcasing how mitigations impact the model’s performance to the general public.