Open source support for TM-1 / TurboMIDI

This is a new topic to continue the off-topic TM-1 discussion from Please just open source c6

Elektroid 1.4 can’t talk to the TM-1 right now:

$ elektroid-cli ld
1 Elektron TM-1 MIDI 1
$ elektroid-cli info 1 -vv
DEBUG:connector.c:1672:(connector_init): Initializing connector to 'hw:1'...
DEBUG:connector.c:1681:(connector_init): Setting blocking mode...
DEBUG:connector.c:1693:(connector_init): Stopping device...
DEBUG:connector.c:597:(connector_rx_drain): Draining buffer...
DEBUG:connector.c:581:(connector_tx): Raw message sent (13): f0 00 20 3c 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 f7
DEBUG:connector.c:586:(connector_tx): Message sent (5): 00 00 00 00 01
DEBUG:connector.c:653:(connector_rx_raw): Timeout!
DEBUG:connector.c:1542:(connector_destroy): Destroying connector...

(Edit: elektroid 2.1 gives the same result)

Pressing the turbo button on the TM-1 while it’s connected via USB (but with nothing connected to the DIN MIDI ports) shows a short message:

$ amidi -l
Dir Device    Name
IO  hw:1,0,0  Elektron TM-1 MIDI 1
$ amidi -p hw:1 -d -t 10

F000203C04000201F7
9 bytes read

I’ll make some time later this week (or at the weekend) to debug it a bit, try it with the MD connected, and try manually sending the Turbo mode sysex messages documented at the back of the MD manual.

2 Likes

I’ve just opened a new issue to add support for this. Just in case you’d prefer GitHub.

The Machinedrum support MIDI SDS as stated by youself in Transfer samples from/to MachineDrum, right?

If so, I could try to develop the basics around a sampler and a USB MIDI interface that I have.

3 Likes

Right.

https://github.com/bsl/send-sds supports sending audio samples to the MD (and works well).

2 Likes

I’ve been doing some research on MIDI SDS and I think this is not only doable but extensible to other devices supporting SDS. Still, there is a GUI issue that we need to solve first.

Both uploading and requesting a download need the number of the sample slot and if we don’t have a remote browser this is not possible to know. We still can fake it and simulate that there are some samples there (with a fixed number).

If we go this route, downloading is easy but uploading is not as it’s currently implemented because we don’t know on which sample slots we want to upload the selected samples.

Should we limit the upload process to a single sample?
How was C6 achieving this?
Is a popup window asking for the sample slot of the first sample enough?

Let me know your thougths.

BTW, is the Machinedrum able to handle stereo samples?

2 Likes

I’ve pushed some code to the branch sds to add support for MIDI SDS.

Take a look at the forementioned issue on Github and let’s work from there.

1 Like

The sds branch contains fully working code for MIDI SDS. Among other things, all MIDI devices are shown in the GUI and CLI.

$ elektroid-cli ld
0 padKONTROL MIDI 1

Could you try with the TM-1? We’ll fix the turbo speed later.

2 Likes

Cool! Will try it in the next few days. Crazy busy at work right now :frowning:

1 Like

Any update on this?

The issue on GitHub has updated information regarding how to implement this.

1 Like

Just chiming in to say thanks for doing this @PofM and @DG2 :beers:

I have almost 0 real programming experience except some old html stuff from myspace days, but I would love to help out and force myself to learn on something meaningful if you guys need any extra hands on deck. Able to provide unnecessary commentary, as well. :muscle:

It’s all @DG2, not me! I haven’t even had time to test it :cry:

1 Like

Lol right on :beers: for the honesty
I kind of realized a bit late after reading that it was for linux, my bad yall don’t think I’ll be of much help here :clown_face:

I thought I’d revisit this. I’ve a Monomachine and MDUW+ pair that’s just gathering dust because I don’t want to deal with the gear and admin overhead required to get the most from these machines. I’d rather use them with minimal friction than sell them off, so… any news on this front?

What news are you looking for? Have you tried using elektroid? Both elektroid and send-sds can upload samples to the MDUW.

Hi, thanks. The topic is TM-1 and TurboMIDI; I’m aware of software alternatives to C6.