Open Challenge #16 - Pure Sounds and No FX – Has Ended!

I agree! I wasn’t asking so I could bend the rules - merely so that I wouldn’t disqualify myself on accident.

1 Like

Sure you can change my quote.
One is not using external fx, the other is. And you know that.

Im not trying to be a dick, just asking questions.
If analogue heat is allowed (which is an external effects unit) then distortion pedals would be, then what other pedals etc?

A mixer isnt an fx unit.
Blah blah blah Im bored now forget I said anything. Carry on.

3 Likes

nah, it’s a valid point. the heat is a performance box that adds so much colour.
if it’s precluded i’m cool with that

1 Like

20 seconds but It’s taking shape…

Just single waves from the SuperGlue “buzzes” folder using the M:S.

No delay, no reverb, no daw, no mastering, no talent:

9 Likes

Whoo boy this is a tough one!

A while ago I tried to write a song on the DT with nothing but single-cycles to make an 8-voice “orchestra” or “choir” . . . I can’t remember how well it went . . .

2 Likes

Hello and good morning everybody!
I sense a lot of enthusiasm in this thread already after just one day! That’s more than I could have ever expected to happen. Thank you! :pray:

It’s good that so many questions are coming up, that would have never occurred to me either because of lack of knowledge/experience or because of sloppiness in drafting that set of challenge rules. We’ll find answers to all of them, I’m pretty sure. And in the end nobody gets disqualified – at least not from my side. The community will have to speak the final verdict.

@waftlord @Microtribe
Some heat was generated in the last few posts. Maybe from interpreting the answer to a very specific question into a general wishful rule.

In short: I can’t rule out saturation from a mixer, because an analog mixer is inherent to the recording process of many. But using an external device for it is a whole different story, because it can easily be left out, if you’d be so kind.

Effectively this means: No (external) effects.

Friendly reminder to @Leonsarmiento: It would be way easier if you could stick to mp3 uploads for the sake of all being treated equal in the spirit of this thread. Especially when it comes to the final voting it makes it also technically easier for me to consolidate everything.

6 Likes

just md synthesis

20 Likes

If I use the Syntakt, there is an Overdrive parameter on the SYNthesis page, can I use it?

I’m not here to win, though. :rofl:

1 Like

Can’t stop you from doing so. I’d use the filter overdrive in A4 most likely, too. Or Master OD in Digitone. Might be considered by some as inherent to raw sound design/mixing/gain staging/….

3 Likes

lush use of decay and the lfo to modulate out the stabs like a delay

2 Likes

you enlightened me to those magic low frequency oranges!

1 Like

A test. 4 tracks of 8bit singlecyclewaves on the octatrack, Tb-03 and minibrute. Took some time to make the kick and im gonna work some more on it. Fun and challenging.

9 Likes

Yay! Some nice submissions already. :green_heart:

I have the feeling the set time frame for the challenge might be stretching it too long. Just about two weeks until the end of March seems more likely to keep up interest and motivation. What’s your opinion towards this? Would you be ok to reduce the amount of time?

Edit: Started a poll:

3 Likes

I haven’t thought about starting yet…

2 Likes

Whaaaaaaat?

1 Like

Oh deadline 30th april. Yeah no problem. I can bash something out before that.

1 Like

Yes, please!

The deadline might get changed to an earlier date, though. Having doubts to keep the challenge in focus for so long…

2 Likes

Nah leave it as is.
Ive always found they get pushed back anyway.

2 Likes

Hi, been a while… Virus Ti only - respected the rules. Restriction - 1hour.
Peace

11 Likes

8bit singlecyclewaveforms + minibrute

10 Likes