OP1-Field sequenced by Elektron gears (or any other external sequencer)

Hello there!
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to sequence the OP1 with an elektron gear (or OXI ONE or any other sequencer)?
It would make a lot of sense if that would work since the OP1 as it is, with its limitations would make it quite hard for live performances.
So I thought it would make a good combo with ST, OT or Digitakt or Digitone. And if yes, I wonder if you could then be able to sequence all the four tracks?
Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, I don’t believe the OP1 works like that, I think you can only sequence one thing at a time and it’s either the synth or the drum engine (whichever you most recently have selected). The four “tracks” are just placeholders for audio and are not linked to specific sounds in any way.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your message!
Yes, I figured that won’t work as the OP-1 is a monotimbral synth.

Any tips for multitimbral synths that are portable and sounds great, in the sound palette of Microfreak/OP-1 digital synths?

Not sure about sound palette being the same, but two that come to mind are Waldorf Blofeld and Roland SH-4d

The op-1 tape does at least now sync to external clock so you can sequence one thing and have the tape running at the same time (iirc), but yeah I wish you could multi-sequence

1 Like

Mmm I don’t quite like the sound quality of those.
I wonder why Arturia didn’t come with a 'Freak edition that is multitimbral?.. Is that complicated? It would make a killer machine more than it already is IMO :slight_smile:

That’s at least a good comprimise! Even though I found it crazy that a 2000€ synth (with quite some limitation like no undo etc.) isn’t even multitimbral…

Actually a great choice of intriguing sound palette (not too 80s like the Roland and not too FMish) it would be the Deluge! That is multitimbral, quite small and actually polyphonic. Anyone has had a direct experience with it?