OP1 as a vocoder?!

looking through various web clippings in evernote, I came across this:

basic vocoding: using audio over Line in as a modulator source under LFO/Element allows you to then play a synth engine (Pulse works very well) to vocode. The Pulse engine sounds good when the blue “O O” icons are overlapping and the orange mod wave icon is at about 50% on the positive (right) side. then it’s just a matter of tweaking your audio input in the LFO’s parameters and your all set. you can then apply the Phone effect at any degree of robo-garbled fun you like :slight_smile:

this sure seems like fun but could anyone attest if this produces usable results? :))

afaik
the line/mic input to the Element LFO operates as an Envelope Follower,
so parameters will be modulated by the amplitude of the input signal, rather than the frequency components.

You can however get some interesting reactive variations by modulating synth or effect parameters from line/mic/radio.

sorry, no idea, but i think you could get interesting results on the octatrack
using the comb filter at 100%, then locking the notes
ive used it to great effect on samples;but never tried it on my voice,
have to give it a go

Ohh that’s pretty freaky!! Tried it out and yeah it works!

@Tornfrayed:
the OP1 vocoder or the OT one Rael mentioned?

anyway, guys, do share audio of how it works! :wink:

OP1

cool.

still wondering if it’s usable and if its possible to achieve decent results using the built-in mic on the op1

Ok did a test for you using the built in mic.
https://soundcloud.com/mlr-3/op1-vocoder-winternal-mic-ck/s-q6Fpv

omg this is bananas :smiley:
cant wait to get back from vacation and try it out myself
(impending pseudo-vocoder doom)

got back home and tried it with some sampled vocals i’ve been trying to fit into a track. the result sounded kinda meh (tried with and w/o the phone effect) - definitely far from a usable result :confused:
guess you can’t solve all your woes with an OP1

did you try the CWO effect?