OP-1 or Organelle?

Bela is pretty friendly in this regard - it’s all pre-set up to load pd patches directly through a browser ide. so very little tinkering required if you use it as a blackbox. that said i haven’t experimented yet.

Interesting. I’ll look into it when I next have the desire to get an axoloti or something similar!

It’s true, I didn’t ask about time stretching, and it’s a consideration, but not a deal breaker. I’ve decided not to get either the organelle or the OP-1. I don’t commute by train or bus in my city, but I do when overseas, so I categorized the portability factor (in terms of battery power) as a separate issue. I was mainly asking within the context of a live setup that doesn’t need that kind of portability.

1 Like

I’m eyeing the Linnstrument 128; smaller than the original, and so appropriate for my carry-on and general gigging as well as studio use. Axoloti looks interesting to pair with it, but still doing research.

I’m eyeing that too.

I’m sure you know it has no sound generation capability of its own. :wink: But the size makes it relatively travel friendly. You may want to have a look at Linn’s list of MPE sound generators - includes hardware synths as well as softsynths. http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/ls-mpe-synths.html

Too bad the hardware list is so small.

Indeed! That list steered me toward looking at the Parva synth, since it specifically has MPE implementation.

The Linnstrument 128 + Parva would be pretty amazing :sunglasses:

Are you sure? Parva does not appear on the list of 3 hardware synths supporting MPE.

Sorry, you’re right, it’s not on that list. Perhaps needs a separate topic, and I definitely don’t know much about MPE support. The idea seems intriguing, and I need to research where I picked up that the Parva specifically supports MPE and what that means (beyond fully independent multi-timbral voices, channel pressure, etc.)

edit: perhaps here …

You’re right after all. Futuresonus announced MPE more than a year ago. Dunno why Linn didn’t include Parva on his list - maybe he’s simply not aware. This is a synth that has often been overlooked in the excitement over polysynths such as the Minilogue, DeepMind 12, OB-6, etc.

2 Likes

I guess the reason Parva is not officially listed yet is there are still some updates/bug fixes in the works. I suspect Linn will add the Parva once he and Geert are satisfied with the Parva firmware. There’s a Sep. 5 post that says “Sadly we have identified further issues… Brad is on the case fixing these…”.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130894&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

Thanks for that, GovernorSilver, I’m nowhere near financially able to get Parva or Linnstrument yet, but perhaps next year. I’ll probably pick up Parva first and just sequence with the OT before I get a proper controller. Good to know they are at work on some of the issues (which are not preventing the majority of users from making music with it, it seems). Definitely a nice-sounding and usable synth.

I’m in the same boat.

On top of that I vacillate between Artiphon and Linnstrument as my melodic/harmonic MIDI controller of choice.

Beginner here. I’m a bit confused as to what OT stands for. Anyone feel like enlightening me?

Octatrack.

1 Like

Something about it continues to appeal. Anyone have/had one? What’s the current state of the community patch library? Seemed still pretty slim last time I looked but just watched a few vids from past few months and seems like some more stuff floating around now.

Would LOVE to see Elektron do something like this (with a battery)/op1… TE + Critter & Guitari have done great jobs but something in the same mould (multiple instruments/fx/drum machines/sequencers inside one box) with more cpu/memory/din midi/more voices/multi-timbral etc combined with an Elektron sequencer would be ridiculous…

Looked into it for a while but ended up discarding it due to perceived lack of bang for buck and the fact that the community didn’t seem all that big. I’d love something like an updated, programmable OP1, though.

2 Likes

A couple of users have recently been going bananas creating tons of pd stuff. Very experimental weird and inspirational things happening inside my organelle. It recently got an OS update which makes the pages of the patches a bit deeper.

There is something about the sound of it I love. I would recommend it as a mangler efx box as well as a synth / rhythm generator. It is definitely a left field device though if that is where your interests lie. Check the new patches to see. I am getting stuff out of way different to the OP-1. The only similarity is the size and the digital nature. Connecting them together via USB is great though for multi timbres.

4 Likes

Check them out here: Shreeswifty and Blatavasky user patches are great:

http://patchstorage.com/platform/organelle/

2 Likes

Organelle probably benefits from the pd base, but axoloti is a great alternative. Even used at it’s most extremely simple just as a midi USB interpreter between your OT and USB midi synths. But deeply capable with a great community of contributors.
€65 and add your own case and knobs

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll check those out :slight_smile: