OP-1 like tape scrub

I realy like the way you can move the tape on the OP-1 with a knob: turn and the tape turns with the same speed as you turn it, even backwards, stop turning and there’s no sound. You can even record onto tape while scrubbing it this way.

Is there any gear (maybe eurorack?) that can do this? I’ve been looking into some tapelike delays and stuff but can’t find anything that can do this.

this

2 Likes

Thanks, interesting device. But as i look at the controls, its just normal delay controls and no way to scrub the tape by hand. Or am i missing something?

If you are looking for the “real” analog thing, then something like the hc-tt will fit your needs (hand scrubbing only).

Here is an usage example:

For digital only scrubbing the OT fulfills the need in my arsenal nicely …

1 Like

Have you considered a cheap cassette player with motor speed mod?

1 Like

If you’re dead-set on doing this in eurorack, Strymon Magneto in loop mode will accomplish what you’re looking for here. It’s pretty spendy though, so I’d honestly only recommend if other features of the module (tape delay simulator, phrase sampler) also interest you.

1 Like

Thanks for all the input an suggestions! I’m mostly curious if something like this existst. And that may result in some interest. It doesn’t need to be the real analog thing or eurorack, but the OP-1 has it downsides in combining with other gear.

I do have an OT and yes it comes close using the rate with the crossfader for example. But it’s not direct control over the tape/sample ‘playhead’. Or maybe i miss something here, the OT is an endless journey of gaining new tricks :slight_smile: If you do have a trick i’m curious to know!

i’ll look into that! Altough pricey indeed…

Do you have an iOS device ?

Samplr has a tape mode which is excellent.

4 Likes

With rate you can slow down to zero and going negative it starts to reverse. How much more control do you need? Am I missing something here?

1 Like

Yes thats close. But the main difference is that rate is controlling the speed of the playback head, and not the playhead itself. And thats with most gear. Mmm maybe i should make (or find) a video of the difference.

Samplr is one of my favourite iOS apps and yes it’s a very nice tape mode! But as with most other suggestions, not the same: its controlling the speed of the head, but not the playhead itself.

The OP-1 playhead can remain static, then use the knob to scroll playback either way at the rate at which you are turning the knob, also you can record like this too, it is AFAIK unique to the OP-1.

Edit: In other words the playback is directly connected to the knob, on the OT the playback happens according to the current rate setting and continues until the rate is changed, on OP-1 it does not play when you stop turning the knob - aside from a little emulated inertia.

5 Likes

Look for iDensity for iOS - might be what you’re looking for, although I’m not sure about that inertia movement

So, it’s like moving a vinyl on a turntable without pressing play.

Any Controller with a jog wheel and a DJ Software (e.g. Traktor) should do the trick.

Yes that is what it is like, although the recording aspect is the thing that makes it unique - so you could for example hold record, sing into mic whilst turning knob slowly forward then start turning the knob backwards and it will record over without replacing, it is pretty clever.

2 Likes

Various Korg Kaoss Pads! For example (at the start):

Edit: in fact, I’m 99% sure Radiohead used a Kaoss Pad to recreate ‘tape scrubbing’ of Yorke’s live vocals on Everything in its Right Place. An effect originally created by Jonny by shifting the playhead on ProTools in the studio.

1 Like

iDensity is amazing. Other similar iOS/iPadOS AUv3 apps worth researching are RE-1, Enso, Fly-Tape, soundfruuze, Looperator/Effectrix… Erik Sigth apps if you like the OP-1’s UI.

1 Like

Yes thats why i like it also :wink: thanks for clarification.

1 Like

I love RE-1. I don’t own all that many AUv3, but I really like that one