OP-1 field

I know the TAPE has been talked about a lot, but I think there is still no other hyper portable device with a nice screen that has a linear timeline tape model that you can dip in wherever you want and replace/overdub? Plus set loop points etc

(easy for DAWS of course)

2 Likes

It’s an interesting discussion because luxury furniture certainly goes beyond its intrinsic value. It’s an object to desire as it is as much to use. A genuine eames will cost £5k but it’s still just a seat.

But I dunno, I don’t feel like that’s what the OP-1 is. A better analogy there would be the new Oberheim.

And the anology breaks down a bit anyway. You’ll own that eames your whole life, and probably pass it on to your children/pets.

This is a darned groovebox that you’ll be listing on Reverb in 5 years. It’s just not the same thing.

It’s not a ‘luxury’ object, it’s just an expensive one.

But gosh darned it I really wish they would give me one for free because I would like one.

3 Likes

to be fair they’ve stuck to their guns and there are few cheap 2nd hand OP-1s on the market since launch

As was linked in the other thread, I’m not so sure which guns they’re sticking to tbh. They’ve certainly made a decision about how they’re moving forward.

3 Likes

The “oh how could you!” tone of this video is insufferable

8 Likes

I think in certain circles the TE brand and specifically the OP1 has definite signaling power. So that’s experience value created right there if signaling is important to you and if status matters in your circles there goes some relational value as well.

Use value is there also, the product does things and some of them well.

I do think it is a lot like LV or Rolex etc, only that those are more or less universally considered “luxury (read: signaling) brands” whereas TE has that brand power in certain circles only.

1 Like

Yea that’s fair lol - but the point stands

If I recall correctly the ‘this price’ was $22,000

Haha if that’s true then I regret reposting the video…

But remember it has a synth engine and can playback samples, nothing else like it on the market, so maybe it is worth 22k. If it’s worth 2k then it might as well be!

I sometimes feel like we are a bunch of guitar hero players moaning about the price of expensive guitars made for Jimmi Hendrix

2 Likes

iPad :wink:

Least this has taken the heat off the TX-6!!!

5 Likes

Clever bastards!

1 Like

youtuber making a video to make money if people choose to watch him,
moaning about the companies he covers making money if they sell their gear and people chose to buy it

1 Like

My posts are sponsored by Nord VPN

They are not yet, but that’s because they don’t know - yet.

I plan on making a real “whistleblower” expose on my youtube channel, complete with “disgusted face” thumbnail, and at the end I’ll angrily sweep the carefully yet casually placed succulents and action figures off my mid century teak coffee table in protest.

Your move creep :joy:

8 Likes

Subscribed :crazy_face:

1 Like

But I think that is what most people want. You’re just hearing the extremes because those are what are loudest.

No one here is asking for the OP-1f to cost ÂŁ10.

Ive never seen anyone who says they dont want one. That my friends is the elephant in the room not the price.

1 Like