OP-1 field

That’s strange! Than I should probably assume it’s 5v but don’t know what to assume regarding amps!

So the Tula might be surplus to requirements…

Funny, because I got along with the H1 for a mic for so long, I more or less set aside the idea of using the internal mic.

1 Like

I have a little stereo roland recorder I can use with the OP-1 via USB, but usually I just use the built-in mic.

Okay, thanks for the heads up.

I think I’ll give the Field mic a go and pass on the Tula (which in retrospect was a bit of a GASsy addition).

Easily amended.

2 Likes

The field mic is really good, I tried a couple of mics I had for the vocoder and the internal mic worked the best - obviously it will pickup key presses but that’s usually not an issue. My one gripe with internal mic, the new TE CM-15 and the Tula is they’re all mono - so I do carry a Zoom H1n. The USB-C of OP-1 Field can bus power the Zoom in audio interface mode so it just works as a stereo XY mic over USB, nice and easy.

1 Like

How do you power and route the audio for the pedals?

I have a mini ‘Pedal Power’ unit.
At home it typically powers 3 or 4 pedals.

As for audio routing.
Currently I have a Tensor -> MOOD Mk2 —> Gen Loss Mk2 —> Cosmos
on on one of my sends. So I’ll likely do the same as a send from the TX 6.

Dropping in to say that the Op-1 Field pairs beautifully with Ableton Note, not sure if anyone here is using it.

Now that the field has velocity I use it as a keyboard quite a bit. Ableton Note now has midi input, and the synths/samples on board + effects make it a really nice sound engine.

Another great feature of Note is Midi capture that’s always on, I have been enjoying being able to play into the field and still have quick and easy access to the midi of what I just played if I need/want it. Both from a replay perspective if I want to tweak the synth or effects while it plays back, or if I want to play in a drum part but make a few little tweaks.

One cable between the two, audio and midi over usb: midi to note, audio from note to the OP-1, it’s great! Idk if the Note app is still $5, but it was at one point and it was absolutely worth it.

6 Likes

The OP-1 F also acts as a loopback device for audio. This means that it takes the audio from anything else playing on your iPad, and pipes it into Ableton Note. That gets around the lack of IAA or AUv3 in Note, which is cool.

2 Likes

Ah damn it! Nothing interesting enough for me came out of Superbooth so i ordered an OP-1 Field!
What now? :slight_smile:

10 Likes

So it seems ive installed so many patches/presets that i’m reaching the limit, and regardless, for overviews sake i’d like to clean up a bit and delete a considerable amount of patches.

Whats the easiest way to delete them as i go through them and audition them on the op-1 field?

Is the only way to delete them from my computer after mounting the device? That would be a pain since i can’t audition them that way, and id have to write down all the presets that i want to delete first or something like that.

If there’s a better workflow i’m open for suggestions haha

Can you delete them on-device now? i know you can rename them. Maybe you can delete too.

Weirdly, only patches in the snapshot folder can be renamed and deleted on the device.

In that case the answer is probably to do what I used to do on the OG-1, and just go through the patches, and write down the ones I wanted to keep/delete, then do it all with the computer.

1 Like

If you’re asking about deleting stock patches I’m not sure that you can, I think you can only delete user patches, and on the field you can now do that on the device itself.

Not sure because I haven’t tried, but I’d love to hear if anyone has deleted the stock patches

practically zero cons” review:

2 Likes

Great call out. I discovered this using koala sampler which is also a great op1 companion.

Makes it so much quicker to record anything playing on my phone into the app input

1 Like

Yep i’m afraid youre right. Strange that this is not possible on the device itself……

Just mentioning over here, that I updated DigiChain yesterday with the OP-1 Field specific features live on the main url.

Importing the aif files from the Field allows you to get the slices out of the kit into separate samples, and you can create new drum kits to feed into the Field. The merge allows the creation of A/B kits with a different sample on each channel.

And, if you load in the tape files, you can can also load in the tape.json file in the slicer panel to chop up the tape into the slice points you made on the fields tape. I’ve been using this to quickly get loops out of the field and into a daw without having to manually slice them up.

Let me know if there are any other Field specific things that I could add, Thanks!

17 Likes

Reading now. While I am someone who LOVES the field, I can’t say it doesn’t have cons. I can however say that, at least for me, it doesn’t have cons which are enough to dissuade me from using it as much as I possibly can.

From the review:

Blockquote There is not any portable device that can do all the things that the OP-1 can do on its own.

I feel this point is oft overlooked. Good mic, usable speaker, bus power for USB mics, BLE midi, built in velocity sensitive keys, knobs etc - there is not a directly comparable product out there. Not to mention the workflow where ‘tape’ and sampler can lift and drop back and forth am bizarre textural storms can be whipped up with aplomb, even if at the end you can’t say exactly how you made that awesome sample or how to exactly recreate it again.

10 Likes