OP-1 field

I’ve had a Live, One, Force, Live II and I fully appreciate what they’re capable of, but I simply get very little joy using them. The X was my last attempt at the Mpc workflow.

I have an OG Op-1 and an Octatrack and when I play with those the results are always unexpected and magical.

So I appreciate what I have on paper, but in practice i feel drained by the Mpc X.

I’m not 100% certain of selling it, but it’s a waste if I’m not drawn to using it.

3 Likes

I have been there… I feel you. I’m kinda the opposite, I tried elektron and all the others and came back to the mpc… for me nothing replaces it, but you have to play it yourself, it doesn’t just add stuff like newer stuff, it is really old school in the workflow and not for everybody, it only records what you play so to keep stuff interesting you really got to put the work in our you will just have a infinite running cool loop that gets old quick.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right & there’s my problem. I’m too old & tired for it.

As mentioned elsewhere, when using the X i’m drawn to make the stuff i’ve been making for over 30 years but the OT & Op-1 enable completely new avenues & thought processes.

And i feel really torn by it all. Over 30 years of making Detroit inspired techno but i know deep down i’m done with it and unfortunately I don’t know how to reinvent myself on the Mpc.

3 Likes

you can rename, but not delete I believe

Sorry to feed the GAS for some but for what it’s worth, the OP-1f is my favorite device at this stage. This is the OP-1 OG as I wanted it to be. My favorite new things are: the new form factor (a pleasure to use it), the projects, the connectivity (o/w Bluetooth, usb-c), the possibility to name stuff (presets, projects) and the overall better sound quality (including for sampling).

9 Likes

You’re right. Tested it today, and as it is now you get a superlong list of snapshots that you can’t delete from the OP-1f itself. Wish for:

1. Overwrite
  2. Delete
  3. Perhaps a function to sort by name/date saved/synth engine

It would also be handy to be able to copy/paste (or lift/drop) the names of the saved snapshots.

Coming soon though…

5 Likes

Why isn’t there a custom screen protector for this yet?

I fully agree. Wasn’t thinking I would like this much, but it’s just so good. The sound quality is surprising every time I work on a new song, the Mother reverb is excellent.

1 Like

Is there a solid demo of just the patches on their own somewhere, with and without internal fx? I’ve searched but haven’t found one specific where someone just plays through a few patches.

1 Like

Not exactly, but @SonWu’s demo is great.

3 Likes

in this video digiphex goes through many patches

4 Likes

So it’s basically 4 params per synth (besides standard ADSR stuff) ?

Getitng a bit tired of OP-Z with only 2 params and worried OP-1 will feel as limiting

I felt the same way with the OP-Z…2 parameters is not enough.
But in my experience, the OP-1 hits the sweet spot. The 4 parameters work very well.
On top of that the FX also have 4 parameters that can be addressed with the LFO.
So the sound shaping possibilities are much greater.

From glancing at the manual it seems as there is one FX per “track” and then one on the master - is this correct?

Yes! to both questions.

Other thing: this guy:

touches upon a big problem/downside: that if you are working with multiple tapedecks/projects, that the mixer settings are not saved per file/project!!! I did not know this. Really hope teenage engineering changes this in an update

Actually, it’s not one effect per track if you mean the tape tracks. You can have 1 effect per patch (synth patch or drum patch), which you can record to the tape tracks. The tape tracks don’t run through any dedicated effects, they just run through the master eq, master effect and master drive.

Edit: Screenshot from the manual:

2 Likes

Hey @rephazer listening through your work on the Field again. Fantastic work, especially the Field Notebook.

How much of the mixing and mastering was done outside the Field, if any? The work holds such high standard in terms of production values, I’m curious to know how far the Field can go on its own in this area.

2 Likes