"Oops! Something went wrong, boot again" error message

After contacting Elektron support, they said that a factory reset won’t solve this problem. I think you’re good to send the unit back to Sweden!

Hopefully don’t take long to fix

If I had to guess, I would say this issue is somehow related to bad flash memory used either by the processor or the FPGA. It could be returning the wrong data depending on some other factor, like device temperature, thus raising an exception. Maybe different OS versions place the code in slightly different places, causing the issue to manifest. In order words, it is likely a HW fault. It would be interesting to try to determine if all affected units were manufactured at the same period.

I just got this error as well, on my second unit that I got as a replacement for my launch day unit about a month after launch.

My first unit was displaying this message nearly every time it was powered on after a longer period of time.

I also had the FX track active as others have mentioned.

I have had my Syntakt for a few months now, and mostly, it works. However, whenever I turn it off, I dread having to turn it on again, as a very noticeable amount of the time, it crashes on startup with the message “OOPS! Something went wrong. Switch off/on to boot again.” Tonight I am at my wits end, as I have periodically tried to restart it for a couple of hours.

Having emailed Elektron, I know they are aware of this issue, and that it is firmware related. Has anyone had this issue and found a way to get around this? It is beyond infuriating, and the latest update has no addressed this issue at all.

I know I have the option to send it back to them for them to fix it, but I really really enjoy this box when it works, and would much prefer not to go through the bother to send it it, especially considering it is a mere firmware issue that they are aware of, and - I would assume - more than capable of fixing. (Edit: with an update)

Things I’ve tried:

• Updating to latest OS 1.20B
  • Factory reset
  • Shouting at it

Hmm… this usually works for me with my DT.
Did you try shouting at it in German?

2 Likes

My take from this is that the only hope is to send it back, or wait for the issue to get less frequent again. I have never been this annoyed about spending 800 pounds - well, not counting every time I pay rent.

For reference, here is the reply from support:

We are aware of a bug that can cause this behavior on any Syntakt unit. Typically, powering off the unit and waiting approximately a minute before powering it on again resolves the issue. However, we have seen very rare cases where the error message may persist even after powering off and waiting and appears more frequently than in other cases. Our team is currently investigating this and working on fixing the bug. Please let us know how frequently the error occurs and if it stops happening after powering off and waiting for 30-60 seconds.

Please note that this issue is firmware-related and will be addressed in a future update. However, if the issue occurs frequently and you cannot wait for the update, we can arrange for the unit to be inspected in our workshop. If you rather want to have the unit replaced, please get in touch with your retailer. Depending on their policy, they may be able to exchange the unit.

2 Likes

It only happens with my Syntakt if I power it on within 30–60 seconds or so of being switched off, once the unit has warmed up. If I don’t wait, it can crash every time.
Are you saying that it happens on yours when starting it cold? Or after waiting a minute?

It’s a little annoying when I get some inspiration right after switching the machine off and standing up/stretching (happens more than you might think) or if I think “oh, I forgot to save this sound,” or “make this one last change.”

But ultimately it doesn’t seem to be a hardware fault, just a quirk of the machine.

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem? I just got a syntakt the other day that has this issue. It was on v1.20 when it arrived, was giving this error so upgraded it to v1.21 and am still getting the error. Would hate to have to send it back if its not a hardware related issue.

I didn’t have that problem since a long time…

Just had this issue two times in one week … second units here (first one had the screen issue thing)

Anybody can confirm if it’s related to bad units or only under certain scenario … mine is only used via USB / overbridge

No button combinaison . First time might be this

I’m on 1.20 and got this again this morning. I’ve seen it probably 10 times over the last 14 months. As with every other time, the box was warm after some fun groovin’ for a decent amount of time (usually over an hour). The only solution is to wait and let the box cool down. 5 to 10 minutes usually does it - and then the Syntakt boots up normally. Hope this is helpful for the Dev team. I know intermittent errors are the worst to try and address - but this one is quite persistent and does need to be addressed. If you accidentally pulled a plug at a show, and then you got the “opps…” I’d shudder to think what then???

1 Like

It happened to me unit not hot , i also noticed sometime a small lagg when turning a knob faster than usual , like a lagg and then jump …
Will try another usb port , but by reading this thread , people having this issue also full standalone .*
This is my second unit that 'im using since a week , while previous one didn’t exhibit anything in 30 dayz …