One Polysynth Module. But which?!

I tried a Deepmind but I didn’t have a very good first impression of the UI and build quality. I’ve heard some really nice sounds from it, but I think I was expecting it to sound and work more like a Juno than it did (I am aware that it can sound pretty similar). I find the Peak interface much easier to use and the synthesis/modulation is more powerful. The effects sound a lot better on the Peak as well. The DM12 module is undeniably great value though. I’ve seen them for £544. Hell of a lot of synth for the money.

1 Like

Yeah the Peak is a fantastic instrument and that reverb sounds amazing. The Summit looks cool too! Although it’s not in the mix for this discussion. I’d heard that the FX on the DM were pretty good to the point people were saying they want an audio in to make full advantage of them. I guess the build quality is reflected in the prices of the two.

1 Like

Prophet 6 and OB-6 have been mentioned a few times. The OB-6 is the best sounding synth I’ve ever owned. It’s a dream to play, and very immediate.

3 Likes

Well after much investigation, I’m not interested in any of them. So I’ve just ordered another monosynth instead. Pittsburgh Microvolt 3900 incoming!

4 Likes

I would recommend to keep the Blofeld for rich and evolving pads. The Microvolt will add many new tones to your setup.

The GR-1 sounds amazing. But how much of it is a computer at this point?

I’m not sure I understand the question.
Hopefully you can find what you need over at the Tasty Chips forum - https://tastychips.nl/vanilla/

this guy gets it.

with those requirements, my list would start and end with OB6. goosebumps the first time I heard it; in YouTube videos, no less. and it’s grown on me even more since I got it.

2 Likes

Any owners of Nord 2X and Minilogue XD that can help with the difference sound wise?

I own an A4 as 4 voice poly and a DN as 8 voice FM poly.

I’m looking for poly for pads in the $500 bracket and Minilogue XD and Nord Rack 2X are topping my list.

I’m loving the vintage character of 2X but Minilogue XD seems pretty capable and warm and maybe can cover the grounds of 2X?

1 Like

This what I’ve just bought for this purpose:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/novation/nova.php

I own a blofeld, but would definately recommend a peak for a poly. After that something from the nord lead line.

Minilogue xd had no chance in the comparison I made.

But it’s a taste thing…

I don’t know about the XD, but the original Minilogue envelopes have pretty short attack and release times - can be a problem for pads.

With the Nord Lead, you get a lot more possibilities than with Peak: 4 part multitimbral. A big advantage for a live rig.

…to this question i always give the same answer…

if not to recommend elektron again and again…but swedish hardware anyways…

the nord.lead2 xt rack version…

hands on full on interface…20 voices, 4 multitimbral parts…endless storage space…famous nord drumsynthesis inclusive, creamy multimode filters, all virtual analog, but i can’t tell the difference here, little fm options, lot’s of lfo’s all over the place, super tight envelopes, also for the filter, nice grittyness if u want so, from beauty low end grumble bass to hard cutting edge sequencing arps, creamy pads… free routing to 4 outputs…u name it…
500 bux used…but hard to catch…
no internal fx might be the only bummer…but in my case, i see this as an advantage…

2 Likes

yeah it‘s amazing

Even better - Nord Modular 1 or 2 if you can find one

1 Like

seconded

1 Like

Had the Nord Lead 2 but found it annoying for multitimbral use as there were no patch names, just numbers, which made it hard to keep track of patches on each engine on each song. Otherwise it was a great synth. Sold it for a Korg MS2000R which I’m now selling for a Novation Nova.

What’s a good small option?

How small?