Oldschool hip hop drum sample library recommendation

Thanks!
After opening this thread I bought 2 of them. They are incredible good sounding.
Will add some more :slight_smile:

A big recommendation for past to future samples. They only sell drumkits (for NI Kontakt etc) and impulse responses, but if you’re a half decent finger drummer, you can come up with killer breaks :diddly: The amount of round robin samples they use for their drumkits is insane!

2 Likes

I miss my Push2 (or maschine) only for finger drumming and playing in scale mode :frowning:
I practiced a lot. Guess I unlearn a lot now, only using Elektron sequencers…
Thanks for the recommendation

Splice has loads of this kind of thing in their archive. Get a month’s sub for $13.99, download 300 samples and keep ‘em for life.

Winner.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I’ve been looking for a big hip hop drum sample library lately… processing funky breaks for hours can be a bit uninspiring, sometimes. Rawcutz libraries sound cool, and I see that it has a good reputation amongst 'Nauts. What pack have you guys bought? The Raw Kitz Complete looks nice and is only 45€ right now.

I bought rawskillz first but then in a sale the whole superpack
Highly recommended. Made many boombap beats with it but also use in many electronic productions to add some organic elements

2 Likes

I got one of the big RawKitz. It is a lot.

I was disappointed to find all the instrument one-shots - keys and guitars and such - were processed with FX. So it all sounds samey house, dubdelayesque. Plus considering the sheer amount of files it would have been nice to have some labels or coherence for all the drums, but, alas, little to none. It’s very off putting to be going through them and have no idea what they are at first glance.

But maybe I’m asking too much. It was my first big sample pack; won’t be doing it again.

HOWEVER, the drums - processed by samplers and signal chains and distortion and whatnot - are delicious. Sound great and absolutely slam. And considering how many you get, if sample packs are your thing, you won’t need another one (I don’t think?)

4 Likes

the only downside of the superpack is, that it‘s only wavs
the recent sample packs from them have ableton drumkits, machine etc…

1 Like

Any feedback on these?

I am only interested in drums, they can keep the bells and jingles though :totes:

1 Like

A big pile of fat drum samples is precisely what I’m after, the other stuff is a nice bonus. Rawcutz, here I come!

And the stupid dilemma of the day: after years being convinced that good boom bap drums are harvested and processed homemade-style, will my soul survive using a samplepack? :no_mouth:

Yes it will. The sample pack will get you 80% of the way there. You will need to make decisions on transient shaping, timing, EQ, dynamics.

3 Likes

Producing and sound design are different fields. 1 person can do both of course but that is not a rule. For hiphop drum sound design: real drums - expensive mics to tape with outboard processing - not everyone’s cup a tea + be or rent a pro enough drummer.

Might snap that sample pack too :relieved:

1 Like

Cleanse yourself in an episode of that Kennybeats The Cave YT. He flies through sample packs.

3 Likes

@xidnpnlss never watched this show before. The guy is dope, most of the tracks are absolute fire!

BTW, I’ve just bought the pack: it is indeed a lot! I think I’ll never need another pack. Shame about the pack hierarchy though, it’s a bit of a mess. From what I gather, all the one shots are also in the construction kits, which may be the best way to explore them.

1 Like

Oh man, talking about great Hip Hop drum packs… Most of you probably already have them but both packages from RealDrumSamples are superb. Use them on every production. The free package is definitely worth a shot

"after years being convinced that good boom bap drums are harvested and processed homemade-style, will my soul survive using a samplepack? " I hear ya! But fortunately others have done the trouble for me.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind reviving this to ask for a recommendation. I’ve read through and checked out a lot of the examples already. Just wanted to chat about my use-case.

I’m working the Rytm again and while I spin up a lot of my own electronic sounds on it, I want some easy to grab hip hop drums.

Looking for one shots with a lot of baked in vibe. I’m talking weird spring reverb tales on hi-hats, kicks with more air than you’d think you’d want, etc.

I love what I can do to a sample onboard the Rytm so I want some real vibe/meat to carve into. Those weird ambience tails make for great glitchy segments to loop as well. Shit like that.

I get option paralysis so going the splice route does not work for me. I need one pack I can load on the Rytm and never look back. Because of this, something that’s like 8 gigs ain’t gonna work. That would force me to sit there and make decisions on what to even import to rytm ha.

Help me out. Give me a good versatile, one stop shop for some hip hop drum one shots with a lot of vibe to em.

There’s rhythmlab: Processed vinyl drums - Rhythm Lab | Free Wav Samples, Loops, Breaks, VST Plugins, Synth Presets and much more!

It’s free, it’s big enough that there’s variety but small enough to not be paralyzing.

Also on that site is a TON of free breaks from classic records, use snippets of those too.

Also, if you don’t have Essential WAV from Mars, that’s just a requirement.

And Dirt & Layers is a classic from Goldbaby–not hiphop stuff per se but great layers for Rytm.