Oldschool hip hop drum sample library recommendation

Samplefrommars MPC60 pack has some nice drums in it… I’ve been using it a lot lately

3 Likes

Also mpc-samples has some great drum samples

2 Likes

For me there‘s enough variety. Anyway, as you said, OT will coax any sample into submission.

1 Like
5 Likes

The Rawcutz stuff sounds extremely nice :slight_smile: Considering the big pack… But maybe I should start with a small one and see how I like working with it.

I got the „anthology“ at a huge discount. Maybe it‘s worth to wait for one of those. The entire library has a permanent home on my OT‘s card and I randomly drop a few of the melodic samples onto the DT‘s +drive. Get‘s me going everytime.

2 Likes

Means all packs together? Waiting is not my strength :wink:

1 Like

What are you waiting for then? We‘re talking about approx. 2.500 jazzy, funky, dusty, crunchy one shots and short phrases plus a f§ckload of drum breaks and drum hits. It‘s like the golden age of hip hop construction kit.

4 Likes

Ok. Ok :grin:

1 Like

Oops missed this post, reposted it… not knowing

1 Like

Seem not to be on sale anymore.

This is the same resource I’ve used. Great stuff.

Try bigfishaudio

2 Likes

I grew up on sampled records, so I still enjoy doing it for fun, which is one of the reasons why I like doing beat battles.

For my own stuff however, I’m trying to sample my own instruments. I never really liked sample libraries.

2 Likes

Me too. 90s Hip hop was my first big musical love :slight_smile: I love sampled beats, I much prefer this style over a lot of modern hip hop. Although I love synths as well, I rarely found any hip hop record made with synths that I liked. I can’t stand trap beats.
I used to sample a lot, but I’m not enjyoing the crate digging :wink: When I want to make music, I want to immediately start und not search for good samples for hours. And as I said the moral point of view…
That’s what got me interested in synths in the first place. Cause you create everything from scratch…
So I tried some of the Rawcutz stuff yesterday on the Octatrack and it was pretty fun. Getting a basic idea going and then adding my own playing to that.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to hearing your stuff!

I was living in NY from 94-98, and hip hop had a huge impact on me. It was just the sound of the city at that time.

I got my first sampler and synth setup around 2002 (Korg ESX-1 and a Microkorg) and then soon after an MPC1000. Most of my friends here in Japan were traditional musicians (drummer, guitarists, etc), and I got a lot of flack about sampling not being “real” music. I had played guitar back in high school (indie stuff), and by this time I was really deep into digging, so I ended up going through this phase where I decided to give up sampling and electronic music all together and just started playing guitar and bass again wanting to learn to play stuff that were on the original records I had been sampling.

Anyway, it all came full circle when I bought a place last year, and decided to put together a little music lab again. I picked up a Digitakt and now I’m back at it.

If you have time I really encourage you to listen to this Red Bull session with Mario Caldato Jr. He is a huge inspiration for me, especially his work on Paul’s Boutique and Check Your Head. He talks a lot in this video about sampling live instruments for Check Your Head. That’s sort of the direction I’m heading at the moment. I’m really inspired by his work and by some of the really early hybrid electronic stuff, where bands were making grooves out of synths and fuzzed out guitars. I’m still experimenting at the moment, trying to pin down the sound in my head, but I hope I can do a little EP or at least a beat tape this year.

6 Likes

Nice :slight_smile: Thanks for the link.
Excited to listen to your stuff as well.

Beside my solo, synth, more electronic attempts I have a project with my brother which was/is a lot about sampling combined with “real” instrumentation. More on the organic, acoustic side… The late 90s trip hop, downbeat, Ninja Tune era was the role model for this. We had a little album in 2012, I finally finished a second one recently and now I want to go back to that direction a little more.
That’s why I started this thread here. I have to provide myself with some new dusty drum samples :slight_smile:

This time I want to work more with physical modeling synths instead of sampling records. Creating sequences on my modular and sample that, but creating sounds that have more of an acoustic vibe to it.

2 Likes

That sounds awesome!

2 Likes

The rawcutz sale is back
https://www.pluginboutique.com/deals/show?sale_id=4101

Good until July 15

1 Like