Old school sampler

This one is certainly worth the listen. Amiga 1000 with impulse tracker ///

You can’t recreate these sounds with software.

2 Likes

thanks for the tips :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since this message, I improved a lot my skill with Digitatk. There is no way to do choke group on DT, neither on SP303.
I found 2 ways of chopping samples:
First, assign same sample on each track and play it with AMP env to note and just release trig at the right time. Thing can be adjusted then in the grid edit mode, but with training, things are on grid.
Second, just use trig preview and program everything.

About changing the start point in live, I tried something with midi controller to send midi CC to start point + a note to trigger but the trigger come always before the midi CC. So it change the start point for the next trigger and not very usable and I forget this workflow.

I bought the Boss SP303. It take dust and I don’t really use it. Very fun at begening, but so slow workflow and limited features… I don’t like desk full of gears and cables, so I use one machine at the time, and it’s Digitakt right now (and PERfourMER synth racked on the side)

If I had to buy another sampler today… Maybe I will try and ASR 10 rack.

2 Likes

I’m fine with the Digitakt so far and chopping samples while sequencing. Sure I can’t really play them, just sequence them.

Same sample on different tracks starting at different points is a good idea. One thing I started to do, which is a little tedious, et to lock everything in a sequences, once I’m good with it, and then set the tracks with samples to play live, which cuts the sequences of course. I get great playability and fun worth that.

I’d go for a sampler that immediate, playable and can play longer stereo samples as a complement. For now it will be iPad.

Man, I would love to find another yamaha su10 sampler. Little thing had a lot of limitations but a ton of character. would love to pair it up with my mpc

1 Like

Someone posted a wish for the Digitakt (maybe you?) about the ability to P-lock each note on the the chromatic keyboard for a track, that would do it. That would be a true enhancement to the Digitakt that I find otherwise quite perfect.

1 Like

I first used sampling on Amiga Technosound Turbo back when i was about 10 years old, then used Akai S2800 at 18 which i still own now some 23 years later, i also used PC computers in 2000’s built stuff in Max/MSP, Audiomulch, Waveditor etc and more recently bought an Akai S900 which i almost bought instead of S2800 originally, and also have Elektron Rytm Mk2 and a few days ago enjoying using Ozone Rx7 on Mac.

I think one aspect that often gets missed in this sort of stuff is convenience doesn’t always get you a better sound. If i use the Akai, which is probably still my goto sampler, the workflow can be different in that it takes a bit longer, although it’s super quick once you know it, but the process of collecting samples or using it for it’s unique quirks that obviously aren’t picked up in sound emulation, and not forgetting the feeling and what happens in that time when using slightly technically limited or slower workflows often gives a worthy sound to keep them in the studio as a main tool.

Convenience, quicker workflows doesn’t equal good tracks. I personally find the speed of sampling and processing in the Elektron amazing, but also find i struggle to get it sounding inspiring as stuff gets complex super fast or I’m moving from sound creating to structure to recording at a pace I barely get time to understand what the sounds are or what the track is.

In think old samplers are different enough on many fronts that they inspire studio sessions and allow interesting approaches to other gear that might have not found.

If it’s just the sound your after, then you can get close if not exact on a sound by sound comparison in software but most of that “sound” isnt caught in sound to sound, it’s also workflow.

After being told since my teens i should get an R8 drum machine, which is pretty awkward workflow it must be said, i finally got one a few years back…amazing. I can now see how much this drum machine was key in Aphex sound and the workflow of creating quantity. Also obviously Autechre for different reasons. Its been so inspiring ive started using the Elektron Rytm Mk2 in similar ways, interchanging kits and patterns being a main one.

If you’re interested, I highly recommend trying an old sampler and am super curious how it feels to a newcomer as I’ve always used them.

3 Likes

was me :slight_smile:

If you are not DAWless monomaniac, check Serato Sample on computer, it really do the job.

2 Likes

Interesting. I lwould love to own many of vintage sampler to listen each of them and choose wich sample will go in which machine. Also, I’m agree with a slow workflow, you better care about what you are doing.
But, in fact, I don’t have much time to make music, and why I love Elektron and Digitakt is because you can quickly make satisfiying beats. Even on computer I take more time to make beat than on DT.
If I was a professionnal artist, sure I will go with some vintage samplers.

2 Likes

Yeah I often use the Elektron when chilling out on the sofa.

The not having much time is a tough one, I hear you on that. I worked 5 days a week up until recently cutting down to 4 which makes a massive difference, way more than simply an extra day, but having that extra day gives me way more energy through the week and weekends, so I get way more than an extra days worth of music, wish I had done that a long time ago.

Given the limited amount of time, I have, I actually started getting machines with slower workflows to see how I felt about spending ages on very little and how that felt more justified as an end result, which is crazy really. I bought a Yamaha QX1 for thus reason, but again, loads of new workflow stuff come out of it, and it was easier to add 16th steps and then edit length and timing than to add different lengths and timings out the gate, so immediately it was different and the tracks were very different as a result.

Another cool thing was recording everything and overtime it is surprising how that adds up, and for me having a DAT machine was key as it’s really hard and inconvenient to listen back to stuff, which totally changes the workflow post recording. It tends to be fill up a few DATs and then record off to computer, see if there is something worth collecting to upload to bandcamp or something. Although the main reason I switched back to DAT was it was way more convenient to just hit record on a DAT machine than constant issues with computer and listening back endlessly haha.

2 Likes

I’m wanting to get another E-MU 6400.

If you’ve not used one before, it might seem pretty complicated. They’re defo worth it if you can make use of the crazy envelopes, z-planes, offline fx processing. The E-MUs sound very different when pitching down to software. Prices are too high, when I see a reasonable priced one I’ll grab it.

2 Likes

Resampling into the 6400 was how every damn Dillinja track was made. King shit. I have never used, or owned, but the power has been heard.

4 Likes

They are the sound of a lot of Mid 90s> Drum and Bass. Well worth getting if you want that sound. £500 is a reasonable price for one with all the fx and maybe some kind of flash or hdd. The’re a lot of fiddling about but when you get the hang of them they can do stuff that you couldn’t do on any digitakt gear, I’m not even sure there’s still anything out there that has the same features.

2 Likes

Don’t forget 1010 Blackbox as a newer alternative. Not much in recent history has let you use multisamples (and now automatically create multisamples since v1.6) in a purely hardware sampler. Nice modern micro SD (I have a 256GB card in mine).

Compare this to my Yamaha EX5 (Blue Beast) in the closet with SCSI and Zip disk drives :joy:

To me, that’s what made these older samplers stand out vs most most modern samplers. Polyphonic and multisample capable, which Blackbox is…

5 Likes

Where are you based? Might be selling mine

I grabed an Akai s20, it’s perfect! Very easy to use, 16bit 32khz but you can reduce to 16 or 8khz to get a lofi sound. The artifacts when pitching sound very old school, i Like it! It take 10 sec to switch on and start sampling. I think it’s a good tool to feed a dt or another modern sampler, to add caracter to the samples.

4 Likes

@drrumble
Le grain lofi du s20 est il différent du sp404?
Merci

oui c’est différent, le choix de la fréquence d’échantillonnage permet d’avoir des sonorités lofi assez variées, il me semble pas qu’on puisse la choisir avec le sp404.

2 Likes

Ok !intéressant merci!Et le yamaha Su 10 déjà testé?

1 Like

Je connais pas celui là.

My zoom st 224 is coming, can’t wait to pair it with the DT.