Old school sampler

Yep, I saw someone using the DT + SP404A, wired the DT main out in the SP in. This will add the FX of the SP to the DT and avoid the usage of a mixer (with EXT SRC pad activated)
My main sample source is my computer (youtube mainly, or movies), so I think I can send sample from Computer -> USB OB -> DT -> SP404.
This sound cool.

1 Like

The sequencer actually isn’t so bad once you get used to it. Quite a bit of features. Can even delete what you enter if you mess up. Up to 99 bars per pattern. Quantize or no quantize. Time effects sync to the sequencer.

I made below tracks on the 404sx (chopped & all) & I used the sequencer. Really simple tracks, just sp-forum battle beats. I did a lot more, actually you should check out the sp-forum music section & arena to see what sp’s can do!!

I hated the sequencer the first 2 years I had the sx, I only made tracks in resample mode, but once I got used to the sequencer, I liked it a lot. Combining resample mode & the sequencer is where it’s at!

I think old samplers can be well worth it… some let you down sample to serious extremes and pitching on them also often has it’s own sort of flavor. 95% of the time I just resample right back into the digitakt as it retains the sound to my ear. Microgranny 2 is also great for a lofi sample mangle. Personally the work flow is a bit hard to get in the flow with in my standard set up so I decided to relegate them to processing sounds for the most part.

Nice tracks. I like a lot this kind of beats!
Can you sync the sequencer of the SP and the DT together to use both ?

If theses old sampler are used just for processing, or add grain, I think it’s not the piece of gear I have to buy to add to my DT. Maybe, If you already own an old school sampler, it worth to keep it.

2 Likes

Don’t own a DT but a DN and yes assuming it’s the same. I sequence my 404sx from the DN via midi and it’s awesome.

Not sure where you are located but you can still grab a new SX from Amazon for a lot cheaper.

SP-404SX Amazon

1 Like

Some of them like Emu ultras for example are v powerful machines. You could have ssd installed on them with a lot of hard disk space. They have 128mb ram to play long samples. You can have very intricate multisample patches stored in banks. Offers a lot of sound design possibilities with it cords modulation matrix. A lot of internal parameters can be assigned to midi controllers etc etc. On top of that everything that you record with that beast sounds very pleasing. It’s cool to control powerfull sampler like that from Digitakt midi tracks. Extreme transposing of samples sounds way better than in Elektrons.

4 Likes

I normally make beats on just the 404sx or control it with an MPC, I’ve never synced the sequencers. I would be surprised if you couldn’t sync it’s sequencer with another sequencer, I’ll see if I can find out.

When making beats on an sp, it’s a lot of work… but you gain skill :grinning: It seems like most people that own an sp don’t even chop their samples on them or make beats on them… they just control it with another sequencer or dump all their beats on it to play live shows.

So even if you get too frustrated making beats on it, it would go really well with a Digitakt. There are a lot of uses for the sp404sx

I just read a few comments in the sp-forum & looked over the manual - it’s sequencer can sync with another sequencer.

1 Like

To add to this it really just depends on what you’re looking for & the kind of workflow you like. There are a ton of amazing samplers out there, all with different possibilities.

Personally I love the Roland sp-series, but they can be frustrating if you’re used to software &/or more advanced hardware. I started making beats on sp’s, so I see them a little differently. They have a lot of limitations (for example the 404sx doesn’t have a decent pitch feature, no chromatic mode, BUT Digitakt has that), but I personally like limitations. At the same time, when combined with another piece of hardware, like the Digitakt, there are a lot of possibilities. The Digitakt has a great sequencer, pitch, chromatic mode, the sp404sx has A LOT of sample memory & A LOT of effects. No waveform display on the sx, so chopping takes time, but if you don’t like chopping on it you can easily transfer samples to it that are already chopped.

1 Like

I hate complexity. I can’t use software or DAW because too many possibility make me panic. I like small and simple limitied gear that why I chose DT instead of OT when I started remake a setup.
Using ears to chop sample sound logic for me, I already work like that when I choose starting point on DT.
The sp look like what I want. Adding some long samples and chops melodies to my DT, and FX look very cool.
Working like you describe sound cool. I’m an amateur and play music for the pleasure. I have no need to release a track so I don’t care if it’s longer or harder, if it’s pleasant and rewarding. Actually I already record unquantize on the DT, with a MPD226 pads, so I’m used of this workflow.

2 Likes

Sounds like you will really like the sp404sx :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

How would you set up an asr10 to your digitakt? I have both. but I have no idea what Im doing.

1 Like

Should get you on your way. Check the description under the video for more helpful links.

2 Likes

Yeah they compliment each other pretty well. The asr has 8 polyphonic tracks, and you can set them all to a different midi channel (1-8) in the settings, and use the dt midi tracks to sequence them. This gives you 8 extra tracks with polyphony and the ability to chop samples.

1 Like

I’m becoming increasingly drawn to a DT. I have more than enough sampling options but I hear so many good things about it

2 Likes

Old skool samplers (and other vintage kit) can be good fun but can be very frustrating as other have pointed out. Bear in mind some of the practicalities like disk drives as many of these save to 3.5mm floppies. My Korg DSS and DSM only read/write to DD disks. Akai s1000/1100/3000 are happy with HD disks but the drives can be flaky and the Ensoniq Mirage is another that suffers drive woes. Many of these units have had alternatives developed such as SD card based drives but they’re not universally available. Just something to be aware of if you’re planning on spending some money.

I briefly had a Kurzweil K2500 here and I found it sounded great and I had good fun playing with it.

2 Likes

The akai s20 does this and isn’t that hard to use

2 Likes

I’m curious, having enjoyed listening to your beats: this comment about not being able to chop samples and have them choke on Digitakt, you found your way to do so right? Or was the comment about doing it when playing live ( the live word confuses me in your post)

Did you end up buying another sampler? I love sampling with passion, love my Digitakt, could do with a complementary one some day :blush:

1 Like

Here are a few videos. These vintage samplers are sought after not only for the workflow, but for the digital limitations and artifacts.

Here is one focused around the 6400 ///

2 Likes