Old projects sounding different after 1.30 update and how to solve it

I don’t know how familiar you are with him, but he’s bound to have a ton of projects, he’s been putting in work for quite a while… Anyone who has a lot of projects is not going to be fond of reinstalling a firmware every time they want to get to a project?

3 Likes

Hmm I just went through all my old projects and they all sounds the same to me. Even some where I Plocked LFO to effect pitch for slides seemed the same. I do parameter lock tune occasionally but I often use it as a means to transpose a pattern so I mostly Plock the drums tune to avoid transposing them so maybe I am just not noticing it because it is on drums? I would suggest reloading the project just incase it is some odd loading issue made that happened but it sounds like you are seeing the issue across multiple projects. :persevere:

You could always just adjust enough for each live session perhaps, really depends on how much work it would really end up being. Either way it’s a bummer hopefully it gets sorted.

1 Like

Right now I’m only seeing changes in one specific project.

Of course it is the one I love the most :smiley: the weird thing is, it sounds different for those trigs that are both P locked, but one is a regular while the next trig is a trigless trig, and on the trigless trig sometimes an lfo parameter is locked. I tried to resolve one specific sound that I remembered how it sounded and I came close with locking the trigless trig an octave higher, but I knew it still sounded off.

This is one of my most complex projects, I will make a video about it because I think it deserves the attention so that we can get to the core of this issue.

I saved my projects thankfully before 1.30
(Elektron I praise you for that aswell, kisses to all your tummys)
but yeah it is irrelevent if I saved it or not, I suspect the issue won’t be resolved with that, although I will give it a try when I have the time.

Another thing I noticed, I made my kicks out of single cycle sine waves with an exponential LFO on the pitch, now they sound way more snappy and hollow then before, it’s like the bass is not as present as before.
The weirder thing is I saved my initial sine kick as a sound which when loaded sounds like it should.

I’m really at a loss with this

| ||

|| |_

2 Likes

Hi all,

I have also noticed changes in tuning for some of my p-locked trigs. I’m so stoked on the new OS that I almost don’t care, but I do spend a lot of time dialing in my patterns so I’ve been trying to determine what kinds of parameters are “offset”.

I p-lock a lot of steps with the LFO controlling “Sample Tune” to get a wonkey pitch bend effect. I just noticed that anything I previously had set to “Sample Tune” was shifted to “LFO2 SPD”. Changing it back to sample tune has fixed a lot of post-update discrepancies for me.

2 Likes

Yeah I noticed this too, only with a few scattered patterns though. Didn’t take the time to see what changed but they aren’t so fucked that I think I couldn’t get them back to where they were. A little annoying but still worth the update.

2 Likes

In case you (or anyone else) need(s) the link to the previous firmware, here it is:

Digitakt_OS1.21A.zip

You can downgrade the OS of the Digitakt the same way as you upgrade it.

3 Likes

Also…don’t forget to report this to Elektron with a ticket…just because it got missed in dev doesn’t mean its not going to change.

But the dev team probably don’t read this forum so remember to make a ticket…:blush:

5 Likes

Do you remember which DT OS version the project was last saved with?

It’s possible you found a bug that was missed in beta testing.

Projects before 1.3 shouldn’t have any references / modulations linked to lfo2 because it never existed before. ( obviously ) …

3 Likes

I noticed differences aswell, the filter seems to have some difference in character. And I noticed the P-locked LFO to samplestart parameter got screwed up in one case.

Oh and in my overjoyed enthusiasm for 1.30 I saved a project, then reverted back to 1.20 and noticed I couldn’t open the project. A little dumb on my part to be fair.

Weird I haven’t noticed any difference to older projects at all. Not yet anyway. But I’m sure that they’ll come up with a fix. Good topic and best to document things you find as detailed as possible. Making sure it’s actually the case rather than a feeling :slight_smile:

@Hibu the filter character hasn’t changed.

3 Likes

Are you sure… I have been bouncing back and forth now for some time. Try listening to what the resonance does, especially when you use the filter envelope. Bouncing between 1. 20A and 1.30

1.20A seems to have more grunt in extreme settings. To my ears the volume is compensated when using heavy resonance in the new filter. I might be wrong though. Maybe you could try, your ears should definitely notice this after so much digitakfullness over the years.

Anyhow, a killer update!

1 Like

Only thing I’ve encountered so far was an LFO setting on one track. On the version installed before, 1.20, I P-Locked LFO 1 to Random Sample Start on 2 Steps. Both these modulations did not work on 1.30. LFO 1 initially had LFO 2 WAVE as a destination. Worked fine after resetting it to samplestart.

1 Like

You mean LFO 2 initially had LFO 1 WAVE as a Destination.

They put LFO 1 Destinations first in the list of LFO 2. LFO 1 WAVE and SAMPLE START are fifth in the list of Destinations, coincidence?

Nope, LFO 1 still contained all relevant settings of my project (Wave, Depth, Speed, multiplier etc.) but the destination was messed up. LFO 2 was still in it‘s INIT state so to say.

But LFO 1 can’t modulate LFO 2.

Or maybe I misunderstood what you first wrote.

Yeah, I know. I initially thought that the entry might have been something that was unintentionally left in and came up as a bug. Not sure though, since I really just saw the destination entry for a brief second before changing it back to samplestart.

1 Like

Yeah peep this. It’s the LFO destination for my LFO one page. This LFO destination doesn’t appear to exist outside of these altered P-Locks. ie It is not an actual LFO1 destination that appears in the drop down menu

8 Likes

So, there’s a bug somewhere in the coding. Nice find.

Did you report this as a bug by creating a new ticket? As this looks like this is one looking at your picture.

LFO 1 modulating LFO2 which modulates LFO1 again: A potential portal for entering black holes or changing the laws of gravity.

2 Likes