Off-Topic Etiquette Issue

Ollie is actually a person with thoughts, feelings, and emotions… He is not the physical embodiment of “Elektron”. He has expressed that he does not work for marketing or make official statements, he is support…
A real person has conveyed their real thoughts and concerns to you…

I am not defending Elektron, the entire issue means nothing to me and is not part of my thought process right now…
I am however defending Ollie because I don’t think he deserves disrespect… I think he should be treated like a human being, he’s not the company, he’s a person, and has conveyed personal concerns…

2 Likes

i dont think anyone has disrespected olle, and quite frankly, as a customer rep, he/she should be able to handle a little (analog) HEAT from customer base. that’s a big part of customer service.

to ask that a response to an email not be posted publicly is so weird and in my opinion, arrogant. to ask that the poster put his comments in ‘his own words’ is even sillier, wouldn’t you rather have your words published verbatim than through heresy?

imagine if i had emailed british airways about a complaint, and they responded, and i posted their response on twitter, and they asked me to take it down…those customer reps are ‘people’ too.

this is 2017 folks, anyone can figure out who anybody is, especially PUBLIC facing employees like olle.

1 Like

I don’t think laying that at my door is fair at all. If Elektron are so precious about customers sharing what they’ve said that they then refuse to engage at all, I would suggest that the issue is with Elektron - not us as customers - and that it’s a rather serious one.

to ask that a response to an email not be posted publicly is so weird and in my opinion, arrogant. to ask that the poster put his comments in ‘his own words’ is even sillier, wouldn’t you rather have your words published verbatim than through heresy?

imagine if i had emailed british airways about a complaint, and they responded, and i posted their response on twitter, and they asked me to take it down…those customer reps are ‘people’ too.

Precisely this. Disagreeing with what Olle said doesn’t mean that I wasn’t treating him like a human being. I disagreed because it seems like a ridiculous and unnecessary request from someone responding to a customer support ticket - especially because it was delivered in a way that implied that I should feel guilty for betraying some kind of unspoken trust or confidentiality.

I’m sorry that this has come to this, and I really hope that this interaction hasn’t meant that Olle has had a bad day to any extent, but I haven’t done anything to warrant hurt feelings except share the response to a support ticket I received - which is a completely reasonable thing to do.

I would suggest that this topic has run its course, and should probably be closed.

Imagine working for support answering tickets all day, knowing that every word you type might be published to the world as an official business statement, it would be quite challenging…
It seems like working for support you would solve tech issues, and let people know to the best of your knowledge about timeframes/features/etc, but those would be out of your control as they are other departments, your just relaying the best current info, not giving absolutes…
I can see a big difference in a support person giving their best thoughts on the matter, and someone preparing an official statement to be declared…

And I guess my point is that if this wasn’t clear to begin with, this is what is being expressed from Ollie, from what I gather. So we could just listen to him, or we can tell him he is wrong and everything he says all day long on support is the absolute “official” word signed by him.

Anyway, I’m a people person and don’t really care about business politics…
I don’t want to offend any of you either, you’re alright with me…
I just want everyone to get along…
Ollies an Elektronaut too, he probably wants the DT to be worked out just like the rest of us!

This is exactly what I do, and yes, that is one of the responsibilities of the job. Nobody suggested that what he was saying was an official statement on an update schedule, and the response he gave didn’t actually make any kind of definite statement anyway, so I’m not sure what the issue is at all.

Haha, sorry, I don’t even know why I get into this stuff, I’m just sensitive to vibes and generally want the world to be happy…
I’m a happy camper, I love the world and all of its inhabitants, and just want them all to be happy, get along, and not stress out.
I’m not on any side, I want us all to be on the same team…
Take care friends…
:grinning:

1 Like

which is why Olle getting his/her feathers ruffled makes zero sense.

1 Like

some interesting perspectives above - I guess I don’t see us fostering a relationship with megacorp.inc and therefore need to hold them to account in that style … aren’t we nurturing a more low level mutually respectful one where it can work well if we keep it cordial -that doesn’t mean that things can be promised and then not delivered and that there isn’t a case to be accounted for, but we’re all trying to get to the same place and won’t we be in a better place if the guys at Elektron (especially the front line) are part of the fold here to some extent … it’s the one element I miss more than any other, it wasn’t too long ago that we’d have any number of Elektron staff chipping in and it was usually some tasty insights

I dunno, maybe it’s just me but screen-grabbing has a different role/connotation - sure, it can be an expedient, but I don’t think that was the sole intent here … having said that, if the whole post was quoted (thus avoiding misrepresentation) then I suppose it’s not massively different on the face of it from what has been shared, but there is a subtle difference imho - besides, it was potentially easy enough to just share the words as requested, even just to keep one party sweet

something and nothing tbh - but compare it here to Facebook e.g. - we don’t want the comms to go that way, let’s make it possible for the chat to happen both ways and stay respectful

1 Like

Read his words again, I don’t feel like he’s so hard about this.
Now I do believe @cupfungus has stated some real points, I tend to agree with some of them.
Anger has passed, I don’t think there was disrespect from his side, no need to add some heat now people.

Communication from :3lektron: towards Elektronauts is pretty hard already, we all wish for getting more info…
There is definitely some work to be done on their side (hire @andreasroman if you need :wink: ) Let’s hope such “affair” will give some clues about how communicating better, but as @avantronica I’m afraid it will only make them more cautious about their words, so more silent.

But on Elektronauts side, I do believe that frustration and anger will not help.
Reporting bugs as precisely as possible and organizing feature requests would help :3lektron: more to make better machines, I believe.

2 Likes

I guess I don’t see us fostering a relationship with megacorp.inc and therefore need to hold them to account in that style … aren’t we nurturing a more low level mutually respectful one where it can work well if we keep it cordial -that doesn’t mean that things can be promised and then not delivered and that there isn’t a case to be accounted for, but we’re all trying to get to the same place and won’t we be in a better place if the guys at Elektron (especially the front line) are part of the fold here to some extent … it’s the one element I miss more than any other, it wasn’t too long ago that we’d have any number of Elektron staff chipping in and it was usually some tasty insights

I can appreciate that, and having only joined the community recently, don’t have any experience with that. For me, I was caught off guard by what seemed like a pretty silly and unnecessary request. I’m happy to contribute in a way that helps foster community, but also don’t like the feeling that I’m being pushed about by a company to keep me quiet for some bizarre reason. In future I’ll take this experience under consideration. I doubt I’ll be getting in touch with support any time soon anyway now. :slight_smile:

maybe it’s just me but screen-grabbing has a different role/connotation - sure, it can be an expedient, but I don’t think that was the sole intent here

Worth saying that it definitely was. For me, paraphrasing what someone else has said is never as valuable (or efficient) as posting a screenshot - at least not when it comes to things that really aren’t supposed to be sensitive - like a response regarding a potential bug-fix/feature addition. I don’t think anybody in customer support should be surprised or take it personally when customers share info in this way.

I think I’ll stick to other parts of the forum from now on. It seems like there’s plenty of things that need worked out in the next releases anyway, so adding to the pile isn’t particularly rewarding.

I just asked not to be citated. Either you say sure and edit the post or you say no. Getting crazy mad is just strange.

I just asked not to be citated. Either you say sure and edit the post or you say no. Getting crazy mad is just strange.

I didn’t cite you. I posted a screenshot to share information with other customers about the product we have bought, which you didn’t like. Your response to me was bizarre and unnecessary. That’s what’s strange here.

Either way, we’ve gone over this, so not sure what the point is in continuing round in circles.

Should they call, I would answer. And be honored to.

2 Likes

i don’t think he got “crazy mad” - just surprised by your unorthodox request since you are a public facing employee, and we are all here trying to figure out what your request means (probably nothing except that you are having a not ideal day)

1 Like