Off-Topic Etiquette Issue

Elektron apparently aren’t pleased that I posted the above screenshot, and want me to remove it. That seems pretty ridiculous to me, so I won’t be doing so.

1 Like

You do as you please but I don’t feel comfortable with a screenshot or direct citations of my conversations and would never do it the other way around. It makes it hard to have confidence when writing. It’s ok for me that you spread the info but please do it using your own words. The date is not official and can move back or forth. I’m not working for the marketing, I do support, I don’t make official statements.

3 Likes

I am a customer asking for information about an issue with your product. You are a representative of a company responding to a support ticket. I shared the information with other customers in good faith so that they wouldn’t also have to get in touch to ask the same thing. Whether that was with a screenshot or otherwise is neither here nor there - and it is not the same thing as an employee posting customer details. The relationship in that scenario is totally different.

To be honest, I’m pretty pissed off at this point at the suggestion in your message to me that I have done something wrong by sharing your answer - which is precisely why I have chosen to leave it up. Criticising your customers for something like this is hardly good business.

1 Like

as much as I understand your concern with publishing information in your name…
I am more concerned that a tech company like elektron is ruled by marketing concerning public informations.
This is nothing special in these times, I guess it is pretty common that marketing does that.
But I want to express my deepest annoyment about that.
Marketing is a worthless department to me as it spreads false and glorious infos without any value.
I have no respect at all for them.
Again, I would advise too to remove the above information as nearly everyone has already the idea that something is going wrong wit the DT and it will take a while to get this done.

if it’s even possible to “get it done” with DT hardware

I find the timeframe cited here as disconcerting as I find the unauthorized posting of personal conversations rude.

I find the timeframe cited here as disconcerting as I find the unauthorized posting of personal conversations rude.

Since when were responses to customer support tickets about issues with a company’s product classed as ‘personal conversations’?

If I had e-mailed the engineers personally then that would be a different story. As it stands, I’m a customer asking a question about a product I have bought, through the official channels, and sharing that information with other customers who have the same issue. That isn’t ‘rude’ in the slightest.

1 Like

And spreading that, has always, as I wrote been ok. If you use your own words instead of a citation, it is nicer. What I don’t feel comfortable with is the screenshot directly from our conversation with my name on a public forum. It’s just my personal reaction and web etiquette.

1 Like

No, it definitely isn’t web etiquette. When you give responses to customer support questions acting as a representative of a company, you should expect them to share that information - including as a screenshot.

I specifically shared the screenshot rather than typing things out here so that it was clear that the information was coming from someone in customer support rather than me. That is a perfectly reasonable thing to do - especially when there is a lot of uncertainty and misinformation around release dates at this point. It isn’t acceptable to criticise customers for doing so.

If you hadn’t been accusatory in your message to me in the first place - then I would gladly have replaced the screenshot. As it was, you made out as if I should feel guilty for posting, which is completely unreasonable.

Either way, at this point there’s nothing else to say. When it comes down to it, I’m not impressed with the number of bugs in the Digitakt, or the amount of features that are half finished or not implemented at all (Overbridge, anyone?). I had a lot of goodwill for Elektron up til this point and was prepared to wait, but being chastised for sharing the response to a question about yet another issue has eroded that pretty quickly. It’s difficult to maintain much enthusiasm for a buggy product when this is the kind of response you get.

1 Like

Please try to be civil in your dealings on here, it was a legitimate and courteous request. So please, for the sake of the other Elektronauts (so that we have support being open and on our side) can you please fix your post to convey the essence of the message (not a screengrab) as you read it thanks and remove the screen grab

This is a rule that the mods take to any private communications not originally in the public forum

Please try to be civil in your dealings on here

I have been perfectly civil. Please kindly point out where I haven’t been.

it was a legitimate and courteous request.

I disagree. The request (initially made in a support ticket) suggested that I had done something wrong in posting the screenshot. The tone of that request is precisely why I chose not to remove the post.

This is a rule that the mods take to any private communications not originally in the public forum

Responses to customer support requests are not private communications - at least not from the customer side.

I’m not going to be removing the screenshot. I think it’s ridiculous that Elektron are trying to control the dissemination of responses to legitimate support queries. If you wish to remove it, that’s your choice, but it will demonstrate a severely poor approach to customer support.

If need be, I’ll just highlight the issue elsewhere.

I share that sentiment. Let’s agree to disagree on the rest.

You’re on Elektronauts, please try to keep the atmosphere civil and be respectful of the wishes of others - don’t derail the goodwill of Elektron by making it increasingly less likely that they’ll be open on here by being a stubborn warrior about it - it’s merely a small matter of etiquette and we agree that it’s a fair request

I’m not going to engage with you about how and why the truculent tone isn’t conducive to a good atmosphere here, but it’s clear you’re agitated and it’s clouding your judgement

See the big picture (for all of us), convey the message as you see it (and respect the wishes of another user), it’s really nothing to dwell on

If this is a precedent you think that should be followed, how do you see it playing out (rhetorical !) for the rest of us browsing … official responses would just get more and more subject to scrutiny if there’s a suggestion they’re actually public statements and they’d be less informative as a result

We need to maintain a harmony so that Elektron will join in with us here, more than they do hopefully, don’t be alienating them unnecessarily … you can still share the message, just do so in a more polite manner and at least be a bit responsive to the wishes of others

I’m feeling a little alienated tbh, from the metal, almost-paperweight in my studio w/ all the flashing lights. granted, i could always sell it for a loss, go back to the MPC1000. reminds me of when I bought shares in American Apparel circa 2008

1 Like

I’m not going to engage with you about how and why the truculent tone isn’t conducive to a good atmosphere here, but it’s clear you’re agitated and it’s clouding your judgement

Except, you just did? Yes, I am pissed off at Elektron, and the way this has been handled - but that does not mean that my judgement is impaired, so please don’t be so condescending.

official responses would just get more and more subject to scrutiny if there’s a suggestion they’re actually public statements and they’d be less informative as a result

I’ll raise you a rhetorical question in return: Would it not be better that Elektron are actually held to account, rather than being allowed to get away with vague statements in response to customer queries because they get no scrutiny at all?

This idea that we need to cozy up to all of the wishes to Elektron so that they throw us a bone and might give us some vague idea of timescale for when they are going to repair key flaws in their premium products is pretty ridiculous. They owe us answers because we are customers - not because we don’t criticise them.

you can still share the message, just do so in a more polite manner and at least be a bit responsive to the wishes of others

As I said above, I would gladly have been ‘responsive to the wishes of others’, and replaced the screenshot if the tone of the message I got from Elektron was different. That alone is the reason that I am irritated here.

Either way, the issue is apparently now that the screenshot contains a name. I’ve replaced it with a modified version that obscures that portion. Engaging further on this is pointless. As you point out, it’s a minor issue. I’m just amazed that Elektron’s customer support are happy to alienate their own customers and erode goodwill over something so trivial.

2 Likes

It still isn’t a great way to effectively write-off all of our chances of nurturing an open convivial relationship with Elektron at Elektronauts - there was a time when there was more involvement, but every official statement gets subjected to a forensic scrutiny that makes it impossible if people are so set on it being an official thing

You’ve won your own battle on a point of principle (you got irritated) and we’ll not be any better for that collectively (including yourself) … it’d have been easy just to do the requested thing and keep the folk at Elektron less guarded about every word written

Have it your way, it’s probably too late to change the outcome in any case in the short-term … I think they’ll be watching their words even more and that does not help us imho

But I do think verbatim pasting publicly like that is not good form when it wasn’t written in a public forum and you were asked to reword - anyway - we are where we are

lol so we should just sit around and allow doublespeak

look, buying a product is a contract of sorts - between the seller and the purchaser. Elektron promised certain things when selling me the DT. No, it wasn’t a legally binding contract, but they failed to deliver as promised. Ppl have every right to skewer them here and elsewhere. Put your big boy pants on (elektron)

1 Like

on the contrary, i think we are teaching them a lesson hopefully, on how to be straight up w/ their customers. why would i want them telling me untruths anyway?

1 Like

It’s a little disheartening to see the range grow so quickly when the digitakt is in it’s current state. It feels like we have a device that is not fully functional, does not allow us to save our work, or stem out our work via overbridge. With little to no info on updates or timelines, it’s understandable why the tone has evolved to this. If a product is released in beta, you would hope that getting that product up to scratch would be the main priority, It sadly doesn’t feel like thats the case. Love what you guy’s do just that’s the feeling on it. No i’ll will intended in my message.