Odd ‘random’ LFO behaviour when selecting slices?

Throwing this to the wind: I’m finding some odd behaviour with the random wave LFO and selecting sample slices.

When I have the LFO set to pick slices at random when a trig is triggered, it’ll play either the first slice or the last slice and nothing in between!

I’ve got my track playing slices fine, have the LFO speed and depth set to max and the LFO behaviour to ‘hold’ so the LFO retriggers with each trig.

What am I doing wrong? Is it a bug?

I’d say first lower the depth and check that out, but also try changing speed and mult as well.
Play with different settings of those parameters, explore and analyze the results…

2 Likes

Set the lfo depth to the amount of slices you have.

4 Likes

Set the slice parameter in the middle of the samples you are trying to select, the lfo is negative and positive.

5 Likes

With Random lfo, even with max depth values, you should hear other slices than 1st and last, but there are more chances to play 1st and last if you have a few slices.

127 Lfo value corresponds to 64 slices in slice mode. You have to multiply by 2 lfo values.

as mentioned above set slice to mid value and depth to half - plus use hold mode

the full depth caters for unipolar modulator shapes so bipolar shapes need to have half depth

iirc the depth is spread over number of slices, so slice count is not a factor in depth setting if you want to reach all values

nothing odd about this as it happens

3 Likes

A similar question: when I use random LFO on a midi CC depth works as expected (128 values) but there’s a real preponderance of “0”. As a result, the randomness isn’t as random as I would like it to be. It choses random values in between 0’s and 127’s, but the LFO seems to cycle. I couldn’t figure out how to get “real” randomisation. Am I missing something? I have it set to “sync one” because that suits me, but it doesn’t matter which mode it is in.

Random lfo is bipolar, +/- 127.
For real randomization, set the target value to 63 (or 64), and depth to 64.

Same principle for several lfo waveforms.

3 Likes

Ah OK thanks, I was confused, I knew it was bipolar but looked over the fact that the “target” CC value is the zero crossing, of course. I’m working too hard, things are clearer after a good night’s sleep :wink:

It has an interesting side effect though (like always with the OT!)
The lower you set the target value the less values are generated between zero’s, inserting a pause instead. Because the OT will not send the same value twice in a row, while it’s in the sub-zero domain it just stops sending values

1 Like

Yep. Before TRC it was very usefull :
Octatrack probability hack

If the dest is a CC probably, otherwise sub zero domain sends the minimum value, 0 for example. With velocity it doesn’t send a note with 0 value.

1 Like

hijacking this thread – i’m confused: within the LFO page, i can’t seem to find slices as a destination. can anybody help me out how to actually trigger random slices?

thanks!

Start becomes slice selector when you have slices activated in playback setup (mk1) SRC (mk2).
Choose STRT as lfo destination.

3 Likes