Octatrak MK2 e-synth emu

Hi there I own an E-synth emu And the octatrak MK2 do you guys have any ideas how can I connect a part the midi stuff?is it possible to use the audio from octatrak and process the synth of EMU cause I presume the EMu is better.Do you guys know what type of process got the octatrak

1 Like

…not sure what u mean…

and i don’t know the “e synth” from emu…
but given the fact, that emu did’nt release any gear i would have heard of, in at least a decade, the converters are defenitly a tick older than all converting business the ot can provide…

emu stuff always had it’s own sonic charme…back in the days…
but so does the ot…
and the ot is made for also hosting additional external audio signals, is one of the most appreciated action samplers so far and famous for it’s additional midi capabilities…

44.1 k in 24 bit is not too bad and the main outs and it’s internal multiple gain staging can give u pretty good sonic results overall…

if ur muscle memory is strong enough u can even mix down properly without any use of a common daw…

so, whatever this e synth is, u should give it a try and run it’s output signal through the ot and control it via ot’s midi output…

3 Likes

1 Like

If you would like to process the sound of the E-Synth in the Octatrack then you can connect the E-Synth’s audio outputs to the Octatrack’s audio inputs, then use a Thru machine on an audio track to apply the OT’s effects to the sound from the E-Synth.

2 Likes

Thank you very much,hard work so for me,just some tricks could you raccomando an affordable adapter from scsi to USB,cause the EMu had scsi peripheral,for connections

You would use the 1/4” analog output(s) on the Esynth to the 1/4” analog input(s) on the OT.

You would NOT be using the SCSI out on the Esynth or the USB port on the Octa. Those are for file transfer purposes, not real-time audio.

Edit: Apparently I misread, if you want to further mangle sounds file by file FROM the OT into the Esynth you can use the SCSI2SD as mentioned later.

But if you’re “presuming” the E-mu is better but don’t know how, you’ve got more questions to ask yourself about what you’re doing before you drop the money and face potential disappointment when the E-mu turns out to be not necessarily better for what you want.

1 Like

You might consider using a product like SCSI2SD to transfer files between the E-Synth and a computer:
https://store.inertialcomputing.com/product-p/scsi2sd-v5.5.htm

1 Like

…well, that’s the big point here…mass storage of last century meets mass storage of today…

scsi was almost 3 decades ago…use the e synth for what it did best and still does, but don’t get lost in tryin’ to make it catch up…that’s a dead end road…

1 Like

What you’re today is what you were,so i need to catch some communication
Thank you for you’re suggestion

…the stuff i have, that still belongs to scsi storage, is all stuff i only use occasionly…
whenever i remember, ahh, this kind of stuff i had in best shape on that machine, back in the days…and then that old machine comes to duty again, for exact that stuff i had in mind…set it up, use that oldfashioned scsi mass storage solution to pick exactly that, use it, record it, switch it off again…anything beyond that would kill my nerves…

1 Like

Kill my nerves for sure to me as well, Infact all those softwares running in WIN & OSX and not on UNIX’s

I had to giggle at myself recently for hooking up an emu xl1 to the DT and sampeling it… sampeling a rompler! Genius…

The e synth looks lovely…im loving 19 rack mount nostalgia at the moment. And pairing them with The elektron sequencer gives them a whole new lease on life. Have fun…

…well…at least mac os and win are based on unix…so does linux…the only real estate os out there…