Octatrack Wishlist for next OS update

Two slot FX could solve any DSP issues if they are limited but yet still provide higher quality effects.
Everything in #3 would be pretty crazy.
The polyphony might also be a DSP issue however after spending some time with my AK’s poly settings, I don’t see why they couldn’t do something similar. With the analog’s you can set which and how many tracks to steal from when playing back a poly track. Why not do the same? Pick which tracks a poly track can steal DSP resources from. If the OT can play back 8 tracks of madness simultaneously then why not play back 8 poly samples from one track at the same time as long as no other tracks take priority.

The ability to send midi note data out for the audio track channels.

That I actually have an Octatrack! EDIT: OTW next week from Sweetwater!

There are a lot of things that could be improved. Midi slide is the thing I miss the most and keep trying to do even though it’s not there.

Right now, in GRID RECORDING mode, left and right arrow keys are mapped to edit the micro timing (time domain). Up and down arrows don’t do anything, this would be just perfect for octave up/down (pitch domain) per note and completely logical/intuitive. (And not hard to code either :slight_smile:)

‘SAVE ALL’

I only have two wishes:

• better timestretching. Please, this is really the only major letdown this machine has for me. I find the timestretching of samples in my very old and outdated Yamaha RS7000 like a thousand times better. Also, even Ableton Live has higher quality sample timestretching that OT.
  • some granulizer effect would be more than handy. Fiddling with a granulizer and mangling the samples on the fly would be a dream come true.

I play ambient/drone/experimental music and these functions are really essential for me. Having those onboard within OT, and I could get totally rid of using a computer in a live environment.

Same here. But I’m not sure if the Octatrack has the DSP-Power or/and resources to achieve this.

Same here. But I’m not sure if the Octatrack has the DSP-Power or/and resources to achieve this.[/quote]
it would have tha power, if they would concentrate on good basic implementation instead of bringing usless features on top of the unstable one…

Selectable crossfader curves per track (scene?) even a global one would be neat
current fader position to scene (function + scene double tap)

My main gripe is that you can’t overdub pickup machines when the octatrack is in external slave mode… WTF

more (any) track progression options. like it is implemented in the Midibox seq V4.

Play midifiles.

Record/play “linear”-midi in addition to the excellent step-sequencer mode.

Edit: … to be more specific …

I would like to work with midi content as I am used from audio. This said, I would like to have

1. midi-sequence slots, which would refer to *.mid files
  2. a midi-Static/Flex-Machine
  3. a midi Recorder for “linear-midi”
  4. a midi-Pickup-Machine for “linear-midi”

Too much asked for? Maybe, but would this not be the killer Octatrack for the future? More and more musicians turn from software only concepts to software/hardware set-ups. Reliable midi software solutions for external hardware are rare. Hardware concepts to control external hardware will IMHO become important again.

Or, Elektron, how about to develop a dedicated sequencer. I would by it, rather then looking to MPC or equivalent second hand hardware.

this x 100!

before forums, people had to accept what a piece of electronic music equipment could and couldn’t do, and work with that.

suggestions to refine/fix the existing functionality are maybe worthwhile, but these huge lists of feature requests… it’s just never going to happen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I miss Midi one shot trigs !

…sudden pattern change!!!

chain behaviour options just don’t cover all needs…

…it must be possible to change patterns to EVERY next big one, step1, no matter how long the pattern is, for god’s sake…

and i wont stop to ask for tempo trigs!
also not immediatly for every step…same here…a trig that only works from step 1…
so we got tempo per pattern…
and the option to change the pattern any time we want without any hussel…so next punch is mine…

+1 on this…
PLUS, I’d like to see the PickUp Machines pushed further, to include more flexible/arbitrary handling of loop in/out points, so you could re-define the loop-length in a destructive/performative manner.
No pushing a looper track through a beat-repeater is not enough.
I want to use the Multiply function of a loop to overdub/permute a loop into smaller/longer lengths of arbitarary beat counts.
At present, the Multiply function simply doubles the loop length within a single overdub pass.
I want some Multiply FROM and TO behavior, as described in further detail in my first post on the topic, so that this machine can really do what the Gibson Echoplex can do.
This is how a looper can approach the metric fluidity of a MIDI arpeggiator.
I hope that the architecture of the Flex or the Pickup machine could handle this.
I listen forward to what Elektron will do.

1 Like

Play slices via midi (ex. keyboard)

I’m sure it has been suggested but more Parts would be lovely. The more I figure out how to use them, the more I wish I had 8 or more to work with.

I’d love it if the Rate could be used to speed up sample playback as well. Maybe there is a way to do this that I haven’t discovered yet.

Also, probably not gonna happen, but I’d love it if there was an Arp option for the samples. I know you can physically take a midi cable from the output to the input, but that isn’t always ideal.