Octatrack vs Mpc

Hello chaps!

I have heard here and there that it is possible to trigger Octatrack sounds with pads of an external controller, let it be any MPC. Is it easy to do or is it painful to adjust everything you migt need? Is that rig stable?

And, please, could you help me with solving next problem, since I really want to have both Octatrack and MPC, so I need to be sure. Can I play polyphonically on keyboard using MPC engine as a sounsource? I know there is a chapter in manual, but it is not really clear. Unlike Octatrack, MPC has velocity, also sounds have AD envelope, so it seems to be natural if one can play this way. I am asking, because I need not only all capabilities of Octatrack, but I want to play sample-based melodies manually on my keyboard as well. I know that I may end up having sound so nice, so I want to play melody, rather than sequence it or use as just FX.

And why some people state that sample editing on MPC is boring? According to manual it can do a lot. Maybe it is not that convinient as on Octatrack? Octatrack has more knobs and so on, but MPC has so called DATA knob and buttons. Is it easy to you use MPC for editing? Octatrack seems to be OK for me, even though I agree you can’t be sure unless you try and many Octatrack users agree on the point of complexity of Elektron machine. By the way, what MPC can do poly-playing and trigger Octatrack? Is MPC 100 OK for that? Or, perhaps, MPC 2500 would be more reasonable?

I realy like having deals with samples, I did it a lot, but on my computer. Now I want to put my hand on hardware, so all help will be very appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Octatrack is 4 note poly to send to mpc, but is difficult to play other than monophonic basslines, with the octa’s buttons. Best thing about mpc is you can bang out a whole drum groove in one take, I wish the octa could make allowances to do this, then an external drum pad controllor would be worth it. In my opinion having two sequencers is one too many, it will just frustrate you in the end. The sound of octa is better, it always felt that mpc 1000 was always triggering sounds as if attack was set to 1 or 2. Also with mpc you need to use an external mixer to farm out the assignable outs, for futher processing. Mpc 1000 and 2500, no difference in engine. No big deal about transient detection on the mpc, it’s not like recycle, and is average, JJOS added so juicy extra capabilities. I dunno, mpc 1000 excels at midi sequencing of synths and modules, playing whole drum tracks, playing chords, and melodies, suited to creating solid head nodding grooves, and is probably better suited to people with some music background. Octa is good for creating uniqueness, trip hoppy grooves, morphing, and sound sculpture so would suit an abstract artist.

Not really a comparison, but you might also take iMPC combined with an OT into account: iMPC (controlled via a usual midi keyboard or pads) as sound source, OT for looping/mangling. Pretty compact setup that combines the best of both worlds. Add an ElCap and you got my current setup :smiley:

Depends very much on the use that is intended:

1. Sound, effects, live mangling:

OT much better than everything on the market in this price range. The OT comes with 24 bit resolution max. MPC 500, 1000, 2500, and 5000 support 16 bit only. MPC 4000 24 bit. Pure sampling should be of similar quality on each of the maschines, but if it comes to effects etc., the OT is clear leading.

1. Pure step-sequencing to control internal tracks and external gear:

Timing is very tight on the OT. Control of external gear with CC and “midi-learn” on the OT makes it very handy to set-up external gear with the OT. MPC has to do it the old-school way, by using the midi-implementation table of your gear and dialing in the data accordingly. That’s no disadvantage but there is an easier going on the OT.

1. Linear sequencing to control internal tracks and external gear:

MPC has it, OT not.

I tried some tricks with the OT to simulate linear sequencing by increasing the speed, but it was not really a satisfying experience. So I dumped it as an option.

Just keep in mind that MPC 4000/5000 support up to 960 ppq, the other MPCs run with 96 ppq. 96 ppq is not sufficiant enough to record fast movements and/or smooth sweeps and will generate artificial steps and can destroy the musical idea and/or groove.

1. Interfaces:

OT 4 outs/4 ins, 1 midi in/out/through

MPC 2 to 4 analogue ins; up to 8+2 analoge outs, some have digital ins/outs, 1 midi in/out up to 2 midi in/ up to 4 midi out, depends on the model.

1. Live Performance:

If patterns and scenes are to be switched, or tracks muted/unmuted only, both systems draw equal.

The MPC has velocity sensitive pads versus On/Off buttons on the OT. For me, those buttons are not appealing to finger drumming or real-time recording. I tried it and gave it up the other minute. There is no feeling/feedback in it.

1. Operation:

You have to learn both as an instrument. OT has more complexity and from this, more stuff to learn. Coming from any of the Elektron devices, there should be no problem to switch to the MPCs.

My solution was … to have OT and MPC 5000 as companions.

1 Like

That’s a very good and thorough analysis.

I ended up at the same place OT + MPC, 2000XL, 2500, 1000 or 500, depending on application. These days the MPC500 is used for live applications as I do not use a computer for live PAs.

Octatrack + Analog Rytm :stuck_out_tongue: Best of both worlds!

analog rytm!!!
after a few weeks of use its starting to feel a lot like the old 2000XL
anything you punch in just seems to groove - for example pull down the bmp, infinite retrig hold BD/SN/hats set to taste for repeats and vel for say 100 bmp via repeats
now bang in melodys around at 30bpm on the seq with synth samples or LP samples or analog AR shit
p-lock some set, set scenes and groove
set compressor and lower volume on most tracks SN/HATS and bring on overdrive on each each and GROOVE away
theres AR simulate layering, pads, chromatic, note repeat, filters are analog!!
i am now starting to see the AR as some super magic analog mpc/sp1200 sampler crossed with a tr808/909 and in some ways a mduw rom player and md synth

1 Like

Hey SoundRider, a very good summary, would you care to elaborate on how you work those 2 sequencers together? Especially in regards to pattern changes, and general integration; from your post you sound very organised :astonished:

+1000
this is how I’m using the AR too. Even got rid of my OT. I just paired it with a Korg Padkontrol, which makes live drumming and sample chopping much easier.

Thank you guys!

Unfortunately, AR is not a sampler and it can’t do a lot with samplers, can it? But this is what I personaly need.

It seems that I am going to end up having Octatrack. Or, even if it is a differeng beast, V-synth. Or both, and that is all. Because I really want something to play samples polyphonicaly, but also something that can modify and transform it dramaticaly (so, no Nordwave)!

Actually, I suspect, V-synth and Octatrack can be good “rivals”, each one with its own pluses and minuses.

[quote="“seaborg”"]

Hey SoundRider, a very good summary, would you care to elaborate on how you work those 2 sequencers together? Especially in regards to pattern changes, and general integration; from your post you sound very organised :astonished: [/quote]
Thanks,

yes, I will try … “depends” on what you want to know

1. General set-up

My sequencers, samplers, and sound sources are connected two-fold.

Midi via old school midi cables, midi matrix, and as short as possible midi chains. Audio - well, typical mixers, submixers - nothing extraordinary.

The OT serves as a rock solid master-clock.

1. Two sequencers at one time …

To be honest, I use them in parallel and alternatively without having the one control the other. But both are synchronised via midi clock. With this I can jam on both freely and patterns/scenes/sequences etc. are swapped by myself manually along with the overall groove.

But there are options to get control of various functions in the OT and the MPC via external midi gear. At least I remember this from the manuals.

The MPC 5000 allows to set-up a track and/or sequence to be controlled by program change messages from external gear. The sample and synths programs can be played via external midi gear also, if the MPC has been set to “multitimbral”-mode. That could be used via OT midi tracks, but 8 tracks could be a limitation.

A look in the OT manual, appendix C, shows that most of the functions we can do manually can be addressed via midi-note or midi-CC. If I understand it correctly, we can perform on the OT, let the OT transmit what we do (allmost everything) and record this with an external sequencer … to be played back later … or just dial in the “commands” in the external sequencer manually …

May be, I should built an experimental cross-over control set-up the other day myself. Could be interesting … :wink:

…since mpc’s have a mass storage system that is uptodate, these machines just rock like nothing else…

my octatrack is in no way comparable with it…

complete different planet…

I bought a quneo and it works perfect for banging out a whole drum groove… I’m using the first four tracks as my drum sounds and the bottom 4 pads of the quneo allow my to record all 4 tracks into the OT in one performance.
not many other controllers allow you to conform to the octatrack like the quneo though.

Im thinking an MPD32 with OT and a Padkontrol with Rytm.

The MPD32 should be a good version of the Oktakontrol

And this guys got a great combo with the PadKontrol and Rytm Rytm + Korg PadKontrol

Allows if you want to do MPC-style chopping on the Rytm. I have a Padkontrol scene set up where all of the pads trigger the same AR voice at a different velocities. On that voice, I turn off velocity>volume, then link velocity to sample start or sample slot. Lots of slice-y options on easy-to-play pads. You can tweak exactly what velocity each pad triggers at to control the precise start point of the chop.

1 Like

This! I use the MPD32 for finger drumming, CC controls (incl. crossfader), pattern changes and sampling start/stop on the OT. A Midipal converts aftertouch, velocity and note off to send cue level (FX send to external delay), volume and volume=0, respectively.

OT + MidiPal + Drum Pad = Great!

1 Like

You could also use an iPad/iPhone for that purpose (Midibridge)…

Please would you expand on that, I can’t ‘see it’ … what exactly do you need to connect the MPD32 to the Octatrack and filter the midi?[/quote]
Anything that is able to transform velocity, note off and aftertouch signals into Midi CC’s. It’s not required to connect the MPD32 to the OT, just enhances the experience.

It really depends on your needs. The MPC in terms of song structuring is a lot more flexible. Change the track from A1 to A2 on the Octa and everything changes, where an MPC can do ableton-type sample or MIDI triggering. Also, each can break up samples differently.

I have toyed with getting an Octatrack several times, I always stick with Ableton (but delegate all percussion to my Rytm). Octatrack is a great tool unless it doesn’t fit your needs, and out of all the Elektron gear it seems the most polarizing in if it works with a setup or not.

2 Likes