Octatrack: USB Midi or not?

Just got the Octatrack and am “installing it” into my studio…My computer doesn’t see it via USB and it is dawning on me that perhaps Midi only functions via the Midi inputs, not the USB port as does the A4 & AR… is this true? I was able to install the newest OS via my OLD Midi interface - so I got that goin’…

Yes.

2 Likes

If you mean overbridge then you 're out of luck cause OT is not supported.USB is there only to mount OT to your computer, load your samples and update the OS .If you need to use USB with a software editor you should check out Rusty’s Octaedit.

2 Likes

No - no need for Overbridge yet… waiting for all of the kinks to be worked out before I spend anymore time with it. I’ve used it in Live and it always seems to crash at the worst times. Love the idea but don’t like getting frustrated.

Most of my gear is USB Midi - just gonna dust off my old Midi Timepeice and use that for the Octatrack i guess. So… transferring samples - that’s where you put the Octatrack into USB drive mode, correct?

Yes.

1 Like

Hi. I recently got an MKII and I cannot get it to sync to Ableton Live. I’m on OS 1.30 on the Octatrack and I’m on the latest Ableton. I’ve tried different cables etc. I can successfully get into USB disc mode and have successfully transferred samples to the Octatrack from my computer.

I have a Digitakt, Analog Keys and an Analog Heat and all 3 are showing up in Ableton without a problem. Ableton, however, does not see the Octatrack at all. In my Octa MIDI sync settings, I have transport send and receive ‘on,’ clock send and receive ‘on,’ and prog ch send and receive both set to ‘on.’ I’m on a Mac using OS Sierra 10.12.6. Note that I have not upgraded to the latest Mac OS High Sierra. I’ve restarted the computer and the Octa multiple times.

Anyone have any tips for me before I send a ticket in? Am I just doing something stupid? Always a possibility…!

1 Like

Jeff,

Unfortunately, USB is only used for mounting the CF Card. The OT does not transmit MIDI over USB.
You’ll need to use a MIDI interface, and MIDI cables for your OT to talk to Ableton.

Personally, I just plug my OT’s MIDI into my AR, which talks to Ableton. It works.

9 Likes

Thank you! I can plug my OT into the Digitakt and that should do the trick. I’ll give it a try.

5 Likes

Can you please explane how you got this working. I’n trying to get the ork, but i can’t figure it out… thanks

1 Like

First, in Ableton:
32 PM

Then, on Rytm
Global --> MIDI Config --> Sync… Check Clock Send, and Transport Send
Global --> MIDI Config --> Port Config. Out Port Func = MIDI. Input From = MIDI+USB
Global --> Systen --> USB Config. Check OVERBRIDGE mode. (I know, but it works)

Then, on OT,
Project --> MIDI --> SYNC. Transp = RECV. Clock = RECV.

Run MIDI cable from AR MIDI output to OT MIDI input.

6 Likes

Thanks a lot… got it runnin’

2 Likes

Hello all,

Last night I was looking to sync my OT to Ableton and I noticed that it does not show up like my DT does for a MIDI in and the ability to time sync it… am I missing something.

Note: I did look at having the OT be the MIDI clock master, have the DT be a clock sync and send that clock out over USB. I had a funny issue where my synth I was using would just play the very start of a note and cutoff… so I just decided no to continue that last night… I figure I may end up using my iConnectMidid2 to solve the sync issue if needed.

I just wanted to check to see if it was possible to send the MIDI sync over USB.

Thanks,
Brett

OT usb is for file transfer only, there is no usb midi

1 Like

Well, i’ll see about making it work through my DT or thought another MIDI sync option…
I’m surprised given the other devices do this that the OT MK II does not…

But, I have options to see about other ways to allow it all to sync.

Thank you for the info.
Brett

Oh dear lord almighty, this is a perfect solution!!!

1 Like

I’m doing exactly as described but with A4 MKII instead of AR and I cannot get it to work.
The only thing being send to OT is clock, however, I cannot pass through any other data to OT from Ableton to control FX knobs for example.

Are you using the MIDI Thru port? MIDI Out only sends data generated by the A4, and does not pass along data from earlier in the chain.

1 Like

I tried, but nothing is being sent using Midi Thru port, not even clock. Unless something has to be turned on additionally in A4 settings?

I can control A4 and map the MIDI CC, but I cannot do it for OT, even when I set separate channels for each OT tracks

You definitely will need to use the Thru instead of Out if you want Ableton to control the OT.

Do you have the MIDI Thru configured for DIN instead of MIDI on the A4? That could explain it not forwarding messages/clock/transport as expected.

The octatrack was never updated to be able to receive midi over usb right?

I want to use the op-1 field to play chromatically on the OT.
Ofcourse I could buy a usb to midi din hub/converter.

could I also send midi over usb to the syntakt, and midi thru from syntakt to OT, and still be able to play chromatically on the OT?