Octatrack Turning itself off

Hi all. Just got my octatrack mkII 2 days ago. It was going well. But today it keeps shutting itself off after about 15-20 minutes of use. Everything goes black but the led’s for the input metering and the pages. I have searched through the forum and can’t find anyone who has had the same issue. I have the supplied cf card in it. And really the only thing i have done is sample a few things and synced it with some synths I have. I’m frustrated to say the least. Any help would be great and thanks in advance.

Most obvious thing to check would be correct PSU, fully plugged in on OT and at wall outlet and cable into PSU.

If all that is ok try test mode and empty reset, see manual for details.

5 Likes

And following on from @darenager‘s suggestions (if nothing obvious crops up), raise a support ticket on Elektron.se. It really shouldn’t do that - normally it is one hell of a solid unit, which is why so many trust it in a live situation. This one sounds faulty :frowning:

3 Likes

I have already done that I am waiting to hear back. Thanks. Yeah it should be for how expensive it is right? lol

1 Like

Yes, these things happen from time to time. They will get back to you within regular office hours to advise on the next steps. If you bought it from a retailer, they should send you a replacement free of charge and deal with Elektron themselves. If it’s directly from Elektron, they will advise the best course of action. If you bought it second hand and it’s still in warranty, Elektron will solve it for you, but you will need to pay for shipping, as far as I know.

2 Likes

@darenager I did all this lets see if that helps. Thanks

1 Like

No dice. :expressionless: It turned off again.

Wait for Elektron support to get back to you. Every time I’ve contacted them, they’ve been super helpful and often go the extra mile by following up after the fact. But if you did buy it from a retailer, contact them as well. It’s super frustrating, but best that you get it fixed by the experts (Elektron) or get a new one from the retailer. Hang in there!

5 Likes

So I think I fixed it but I’m not sure what the issue was.
I had it plugged into a furman power conditioner which is also powering my monitors and interface. It has outlets on the back and one on the front. If it’s plugged into the back it shuts itself off. But when I plug it into the one on the front it’s fine. I could be wrong but I believe that outlet is isolated from the others. So I think it might be getting a power surge from something else I have plugged into the furman.
Either way I’m glad it’s working again. I’m gonna wait and see if it shuts off again and also tell Elektron what I have discovered. Thanks for the help!

4 Likes

My OT turns itself on. She needs a lot of attention. :content:

3 Likes

Hi, I have the same problem. You have solved it as it counts here? or does the problem persist?

1 Like

Does it turn off while moving it, or randomly without touching it?

whether the sequencer is running or not, without touching or touching it. About 10 minutes.
OS 1.31
Until now it worked perfect, do not change anything, always the same connections.
I’m worried

MKI or MKII?
Any possibility to test with another PSU?
Is the PSU socket loose (moving)?

(I had a power problem and bent the metal part of the socket to solve it).

it’s a MKII OS1.31
the source is in good condition. I have tried other outlets, and the same.
I will have to try another power supply. But I find it strange that this is the problem.
The OT would be unstable. In my studio I have everything with stabilizer.

Try taking out the memory card.
I can’t update the OS yet, it doesn’t give me the time before it shuts down.

1 Like

So I did indeed did solve it this way. It was where I had it plugged in. I changed not the outlet (because everything is plugged into the same outlet) but the power strip. I have one of the two outlets on a power conditioner and the other on just a normal surge protector. The power conditioner was causing it to shut off. I think I was maybe something else that was plugged into it or something. Who knows? But when I switched it to the normal surge protector it has been on literally for months.

So maybe you need a power conditioner or something. It seems something was causing jolts in the power and making it shut off to protect itself.

Is the power at your place pretty reliable? It’s probably something shorting and causing it to shut off. Have you tried it in other rooms? Maybe other peoples places? Try all the cheap things first

1 Like

Hey Sezare, I’m having the same issue with my OT DPS-1.

It just turns off on its own and I have to play around with the power plug to get it to turn on again.

The power socket seems fine when I look at it, but how did you bend it?

Thanks in advance

With a little flat screwdriver.
I inserted it in the socket, went under the metal part and bended it.

Btw I may have to do it again…it’s getting more sensible.

You can check the cable with a multimeter if it doesn’t solve the issue.

so you mean you pressed down on that flat part that is under the pin? check cable with multimeter? not sure what you mean…

thanks for responding so quickly though

I lifted up the metal that, because it was too loose, the contact wasn’t very good.
If you press down it’s logically worse.

If your cable is brocken, you can verify the voltage with a multimeter, moving the cable…