Octatrack : trouble sampling

Hi guys
First post here for me. I recently followed Ezbots new quantised loops sapling video. I followed all his instructions. I’ve watch and rechecked all my settings multiply times but can’t solve out my problem.
When I set up a flex track (on tract 1) to Sample input C and have One2 set as the trig mode (and quick record enabled in the settings) it begins sampling as soon as I press play. In Rec 2 settings I have Qrec and QPL set to plen. At the end of the pattern it starts a new sample loop and I loose my previous loop??
I’ve tried everything but I just can’t get the One2 Rec button to work properly!!
Cheers
In advance

You must have a Record Trig on the first step.

Press FUNC+Rec1 and check if the first trig is lit.

1 Like

I think that was it!! Thank you so much!! I was looking everywhere for a sneaky trig and didn’t know that was a place!!

Don’t get confused between Record trigs and Play trigs.

Also get used to the fact that each time you’ll wonder if it’s a bug, 99% chances are you missed something :wink:

3 Likes

So record trigs are placed when you are in func Rec 1 menu only??

Yes, FUNC+ Rec1/Rec2 makes you enter the Recording setup.

Otherwise, whenever you press the Rec button (next to play), the trigs you will press are Play trigs.

You might wanna check this video:

If you’re just using record trigs to start a recording you’ll need to set a max length otherwise it will just keep going, and if you want to just capture x bars you’ll want to use a one-shot record trig otherwise it’ll keep recording a new loop every time the pattern restarts. With manual sampling and the ONE2 mode if you’re using QREC you need to hit the button again and it’ll stop the recording once it reaches the next quantised point that you’ve set it to use.

1 Like

You can also place/view them in the track trig menu that opens when pressing FUNC + BANK. (along with swing & slide trigs)

Spoiler…
Flex tracks dont sample anything. They cant.
Track recorders do.
Track recorders are not owned by flex machines, and are not really connected to them. You dont need a flex machine in order to sample.

All 8 track recorders are available all the time any time, even if every other track on the OT is a thru/static/neighbour.

5 Likes

I use flex tracks mostly. I know I can sample from any track type.

He refers to the fact you wrote

which means the Flex track would be sampling. You sample with a Track Recorder and you play it with a Flex/Static track.

:sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Yeah. It not the most intuitive way to sample. Feel like it should have an easy sample mode. With a sample engine more like digitakt.

Oh, there are more than a way to sample.

The one where you place trigs on the recorder track is interesting because you can live resample.
It takes the idea from the Machinedrum, that needed two tracks: one was a recorder track, the other one a player track.
On the Octatrack this idea is pushed a bit further.
It can lead to very crazy ways to mangle what has been sampled, but it’s a bit convoluted at first.

On the recorder track, you can set a “one-shot” trig (Fn+trig, in yellow). This one will only be triggered when armed (with Yes on the Recorder track for instance): this way you sample only once when you have armed the one-shot trig.
Make sure you save the recording buffer as a new sample if you want to keep it as it’s not automatically saved.

1 Like

Mmmhhh you probably want… a Digitakt?

OT can be convoluted due to its flexibility. As mentioned, there are often different ways or at least workarounds to do things, up to your workflow. It ask a lot of preparation, it’s definitely not a press&play device.

@LyingDalai yes it’s like when a mechanic tries to explains you what’s wrong with your car and you end up nodding to avoid confessing you don’t understand nothing. It happens often to me when @sezare56 explains his voodoo tricks :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Here is a nice workflow, that will be relatively simple once set up.

1 Like

I have a digitakt. Don’t love it for phrase sampling as it can’t to stereo. I plan to sample from my modular that is becoming increasingly stereo

Exactly what I’m trying to do. Now I can’t get the quick mode record to work…:exploding_head::rofl: when I tap rec 2 to record cd on the start of the next pattern start it’s not going….

In my limited experience, if you hit the combo whilst the [REC 1/2] pages are showing, nothing happens. if you close those, and hit it, recording happens. Does that help?

Also, one other thing I’m struggling with is can I record a second loop after recording? Say if I’m using record buffer 1 on track one. If I record several loops can I slice them? Or does it overwrite the buffer each recording?