Octatrack Trig - Visualiser for start time?

Quick question, hoping someone can help me. I have come from the AR which I was using like an Octatrack. With that, you could set trigs to play different points of the sample, which you could select by using the visualiser for the waveform. How can I do this on Octatrack? I’m sure I am missing something here but when I use the AED button to show the waveform, it wont let me trig lock the parameters of the waveform.

I’m sure one of the real OT experts will correct me, but I think the best way to do this would be to slice the sample and then have the trigger set to the numbered slice you want to play.

Another way would be to adjust the start time of the sample, but this would offer much flexibility.

2 Likes

You want to p-lock the start position while you view the waveform in the AED, right? I guess you cant do that on the OT. You can go into slice mode and use the trig buttons to jump around in the AED, which helps a lot when slicing larger samples, but when you want to p-lock, you have to use the start parameter on the Playback (mk1) SRC (mk2) page.

3 Likes

Thats a shame, seems like an oversight as you can do it on the RYTM (without the zoom functions). Seems odd to me to be doing it blind. I guess the slice mode is the best way forward here! Thanks

Once you’ve committed to doing it by ear, I’m sure you won’t miss the visual aid.

You can set slices and loop points manually in the AED of course, you can zoom in to individual samples leven even, this way you can fine tune to each transient and then p-lock those slices with the trig keys. It’s just that you can’t p-lock while you’re in AED.

Original OT didn’t even have slices IIRC, Elektron brought so many features over the years, but it is ten year old hardware. Newer, more powerful platforms allow for different features and I really have to say it’s incredible what they managed to transform the OT into.
I guess their approach was to bring new exciting stuff and not to fine tune and update the existing features.

1 Like

Keep in mind that the OT is quite old, and the other boxes have newer tech and software…

The reason is because start in the AED is separate from the start parameter - about 10 years ago I asked for it to be either consolidated to one parameter or to be separately lockable, but it never happened. Start in the AED is a “hard” limit in that once set you can’t play the file from before its position, start on the playback page is just an offset from the actual start point.

There is probably a good reason why it wasn’t done, but it is good that on AR and DT Elektron implemented it as they did.

However, using slices is fairly painless if not quite as granular due to only having 64 possible points, but it does allow for easier precision when working with longer samples.

2 Likes

The separate start/end points selection in the AED is very useful when working with long files as you can just restrict it to a particular portion while you scrub with the SRC start parameter. But yeah some method for locking trigs directly with the cursor in the AED would be nice and seems like it could be done. Don’t know if we’ll be lucky enough to get another firmware update for the OT but maybe send an email to feature-request@elektron.se anyway.

1 Like