Octatrack Tips & Tricks (OT Tips)

What is particular with this ?

1 Like

You can take it one step further and not even use a thru track! Just set the source to AB/CD or however the external instrument is connected

1 Like

Use a Recorder and a Flex instead of Thruā€¦

I donā€™t think anything is particular with it. Itā€™s just an easy thing Iā€™ve grasped early with the OT

Yeah, I often set the source on the recorder to AB/CD/whatever. No need for a thru or flex machine to record a sample

ā€œEdit This Recordingā€ just open recording buffer in AED. It isnā€™t a recording technique such rec buttons, rec trigs, one shot rec trigsā€¦

You can open rec buffer quicker with RECAB + BANK on OT MKI.
Probably similar shorcut on MKII.

2 Likes

Not wanting a flex track.

Edit this recording ā€œmethodā€

Sorry if my vagueness was confusing.

1 Like

Use the amp envelope on thru tracks, place trigs, chop stuff up, plock the shizzle out of it, use TRC.

8 Likes

1 demerit for ā€œshizzleā€ :wink:

4 Likes

Fo rizzle?

5 Likes

:grimacing::sob:

1 Like

Iā€™m far too old to use such parlance in anything other than inept irony. :wink:

4 Likes

In the audio editor, the level button toggles follow playhead??? Whoa

16 Likes

Nice! Tested and approved! :+1:
Did you find it ? I didnā€™t find it in the manual.

I guess you mean Level knob push ? Not sure of the best way to call it.

3 Likes

I stumbled upon it by accident last night.

Yeah, I wasnā€™t sure how to call it.

4 Likes

2023., and this thread is still relevant.
keanu_reaves_whoa.gif

4 Likes

And what does this mean?
(Away from studio at the moment)

Damn, thatā€™s a new one for me. It is not in the manual, nor in the ā€œreadmeā€ files of bug fixes or changes.

Pretty cool, although I canā€™t figure out how to take advantage of it. I found out that it works best in the context of adding slices while the playhead is moving, but it gets a bit clunky after a slice is added. A slice is selected after it is added, and ā€œadd new sliceā€ is not available during this selection. I have to move the playhead manually to deselect and press LEVEL to follow again, before I can add a new slice.

1 Like

That after pushing Level knob, AED waveform display follows the playback position. Normally the display is static. Usefull for long samples.

4 Likes

simple tip, so obvious, but obviously not for me. saw this a while backā€¦and this sped up slicing for meā€¦SO MUCH faster, and I always managed to fuck shit up when I tried to manually slice. thanks Rick

[starts at right time]

6 Likes