Octatrack Tips & Tricks (OT Tips)

here is a free OT tip for a nice reverb setting that doesn’t swallow your sound. Forms a nice “halo” around your music instead.

on the Dark Reverb:
—> set PreDelay to between 1 - 3 o clock, depending on the tempo of your music.
—> set reverb Time to 0!
—>turn up Mix. voila. Adjust HP / LP to taste.

22 Likes

and another one for those making techno…

put a DJ EQ on your kick. You can assign different scenes to accentuate different parts of the kick drum. Esp if you have the filter before it with some distortion, it can be nice to put the mid band more forward at different parts of a track. Almost like doing it on the mixer in real time but different in a cool way :smiley:

13 Likes

45 Likes

This has probably been covered but I just stumbled upon this by chance yesterday.

In quick mute mode holding func + cue and pressing one of the trig buttons (to mute or unmute) latches your selection and the action takes place when you release func + cue.

I had no clue about this and I freaking love it cause I can be more calculated in what I mute or unmute

Edit: looking through the manual it says func + trig latches mutes. So I stand corrected.

6 Likes

one more… unhappy with the not so great flanger in the OT?

just use the delay effect, short delay time (2 - 9), crank up the feedback, and use a slow LFO to modulate the delay time. sounds very nice.

9 Likes

An lfo on Flanger/Chorus DELay is interesting too!

1 Like

Yeah I use envelope lfo on chorus delay to recreate tape wobble. Add a random lfo to lfo 1 speed for some randomness

8 Likes

Nice one! I’m going to try this tonight with this epic guitar patch I’ve got going on. I was going to get a Strymon Deco but this could save me a lot of money :pray:

1 Like

It does the job to make my jx03 feel more vintage :smile:

1 Like

Good point. I can feed it my JU-06A as well :slightly_smiling_face:

You have to play some with the other settings to get the right feel, but tge woiblr is definetly there

1 Like

I always use an lfo on flanger and chorus.
From meh to yay :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The file manager has 2 “workspace” basically 2 instance.
You can select Workspace 1 by selecting track 1 to 4(they’re all light up orange) and you can select Workspace 2 with track 5 to 8.
A really convenient way to copy files in different folders.
I use a lot when I don’t need/want use a computer to organise folders.

13 Likes

AHHHH thank you this is great! Revelation, makes moving banks around wayyy easier

1 Like

FYI this is in manual page 34.

4 Likes

I didn’t try but with workspaces it should be easier to copy banks, hence 4 parts + 16 patterns at the same time…

2 Likes

Hey hey hey now.

I just stumbled upon something lovely today,
Putting a plate reverb on the master track with high sampling and low gate creates this lovely crushed reverb tail. It’s great if you want to muck up the mix a bit, just dial in the mix to taste.

So just to reiterate.
Plate reverb
Damping high…ish
Gate reeeealy low, like 1-3
Set time and mix to taste.

16 Likes

It can also be used as a noise gate with mix maxed. More efficient than Input Noise Gate that doesn’t cut inputs totally, but not natural at at all of course.

1 Like

The plate reverb is my go to fx for some ‘air’ and ‘sparkles’. It’s actually kinda crazy how well it works on all sorts of percussion especially and the whole drum mix.
I usually use a low send amount with very short time and some lp filtering (or damping, that depends on the material) to give snares, hi hats etc. that little extra in the mix.

It’s that sort of effect that you don’t really notice, but when you turn it down, you immediately miss it.

I sometimes resample my drums onto a flex track and mangle it a little to become a sort of almost athmospheric background for the mix ( SRR, filtering, rate down etc.) - plate works so well there, too!

None of my plugin plates can really deliver that.
Although of course, especially in busier mixes, the difference wouldn’t really be noticable, but in a rather sparse mix it would.

High damping?

8 Likes

Correct damping :smile:

1 Like