Studio notes

Haha, love this kind of stuff! Phantasmas 1-4? Sounds like an outrageously ambitious prog epic! I’ll venture a guess - an (as of yet) unfinished masterpiece of yours? :grinning:

It’s for the ambient sections of an album that has been in the works for a while, that an author and longtime friend will be adding some spoken word to. And I don’t know about epic, but it’s pretty damn immersive and creepy.

3 Likes

I’m in.

2 Likes

Going for that Cosmic Space Drone vibe :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use Google keep on my phone to take notes. Scribbling just in a different format I suppose. The ravings of a mad man! Can’t let any idea escape when it comes, right?

3 Likes

I use Notes on the iPhone for most things, but when going back and forth from a device pen and paper is just faster…

1 Like

Notes for the win.

I used to do it all the time back in the day, then I got lazy and stopped doing it for years, then recently I started doing it again:

I use these little books, the exact same ones I used to use years ago:

I record a log of what I did each day, and also use them to make notes of settings etc.

4 Likes

Like a studio diary! That’s clever.

1 Like

Genuinely giving you thanks for this. As i plough through reporters notepads over the years. Since this year though its gone and no notes.

So a good reminder to once again…scribble away and get the grey matter onto paper.

1 Like

this sketchbook - and some others - is filled with such stuff :nerd:

4 Likes

Interesting thread.

I’ve never been a note-taker, but I’ve started putting together longer pieces for practicing live performing, like 30-40 minute sessions. There’s no way I could do it without notes, so have just joined the world of taking notes.
All its achieved so far is drawing my attention to the fact I haven’t hand written anything in a very long time.

3 Likes

Yes, but mine are even less organized scraps of paper or things appended to whatever note on my phone was open. :frowning:

1 Like

4 Likes

Color-coded + graph paper FTW!

2 Likes

yes, that’s how i take my notes for decades.

this particular page shows how i was inventing my custom note layout for Launchpad Pro. it took me several months of calculation, trial & error.

2 Likes

Yeah love graph paper too, great for planning stuff and using for drum or 303 patterns etc.

2 Likes

I enjoy making notes. I find that I do it more when I’m really focused on being productive. I like the various ways that people do their planning.

Rival Consoles visually sets out how he intends a song to play out. Just by looking at it you can get any idea what he plans to do.

2 Likes

I use a VST in nearly all my DAW tracks to add notes.
Can’t recall it’s name but very useful when opening a project that had been forgotten/unfinished…

2 Likes

Love what they do

Not forgetting this Octatrack one:

2 Likes