Octatrack - sell it to me

you don’t need one but you’ll get one, then you’ll sell it, then you’ll buy it again. Then you’ll sell that one and inevitably, buy another one. Nobody needs one but if you’ve entertained the idea it’s already begun

12 Likes

did that with my Digitakt. (sold/rebought)

Still not been sold on the Octatrack tbh. horrible memory card, low track count, tiny screen. I’ll wait until NAMM 2021 in Jan, to see if they release something new or update the OT to a better spec. Gents, we have FPGA synths, time they were used in a sampler, x8 tracks too (woeful) nowadays when a 128Gb SD card costs. No overbridge…do you want me to continue???
ust $20!!!

1 Like

Or 2, like you? :wink:

7 Likes

they just updated the OS for the first time in forever, and released two new/superficially updated versions of it. you really think they’ll update the thing again or release a competing product in January? it ain’t happening.

10 Likes

So… dont get one then.
Simple.

6 Likes

So you started a thread to discuss buying an Octatrack, then pop back up a day later to tell us all how shit you think it is.

Bit odd if you ask me.

10 Likes

He was not convinced by all the glowing comments :sweat_smile: but yeah I too have moments when I think, should I get an Octatrack but then I remember that I don’t feel like I am lacking when using the digitakt and just happy with what I got. Hard not to see the appeal of the OT though. Not sure if any of his reasons are deal breakers for me.

2 Likes

Because you haven’t seen an MKI naked…

14 Likes

god I miss my octatracks

1 Like

Or a MK2 :laughing:

12 Likes

Wow the mark 2 screen really is smaller isnt it?

1 Like

Yeah same size as DT/DN or MK2 analogs.

I actually have the same issue as OP. I’m sequencing a DN and a monologue from a DT. The DT is fine except for the lack of sample stretching/auto slice and song mode (pattern chaining is fine but after a period of jamming I tend to get lost). The only issue I can see with the OT is the polyphony sequencing but I guess the DN can take care of that

Would selling the DT for the OT be a good idea? My heart says go for it but my not my brain because of the notorious learning curve

1 Like

I just did the same thing. I’ve not dug too deep into the OT yet, but my impression so far is that the supposed difficulty is vastly overstated. The layout seems perfectly logical once you learn the terminology and menu structure. All the stuff about taking years to learn it is more about doing neat tricks than basic operation.

12 Likes

exactly this. it’s only as difficult as you make it. if you have experience with a DT (or any Elektron machine), you can be off and running in minutes, being exactly where you were with a DT. from there… learn as you need to. there’s plenty more there, but you don’t HAVE to learn it all at once.

1 Like

What do you mean by this bit? Maybe someone will know the answer if you explain it :slight_smile:

it’s the whole 4 note polyphony thing, from what I heard it’s difficult to live record chords. Or maybe I’m wrong (most likely I am lol)

1 Like

OT can do chords (I think up to five notes?) but all notes are triggered and released at the same time. which is not ideal/realistic. and you can’t for example hold a chord and play notes over top. it’s not a truly polyphonic sequencer.

I don’t know that the DN is though. I’ve read that it is, but I’ve never sequenced other synths with it to know its limits.

1 Like

Up to 4 notes (per midi track) for OT/DT/A4, up to 8 notes for DN. Same length for all notes on the same step. Notes overlap possible with DT/DN (A4?). Notes are stopped by a new step with OT.

5 Likes

I hear Elektron is dropping the OT2 this NAMM, it will have a 10” touchscreen, 64 tracks, an integrated monosynth, and 144 effects to choose from. You’ll also be able to install your SSD of choice to have infinite storage for your infinite sample collection.

FINALLY the OT will become useful.

2 Likes