Octatrack scene issues

you can’t parameter lock different effects on and off - so you can’t do what you want
you could fade from wet Delay / dry flanger to wet flanger dry delay
but you can’t change the flanger to something else on a track
quite simple really
the scenes don’t lock effects, they lock the parameters of existing effects

You can think of scenes as ‘presets’ for your settings

You can ‘slide’ between multiple parameters such as the effect settings.

In this way you can make interesting changes to the sound with the crossfader.

You cannot change a loaded effect block with the crossfader, you must use a different Part for this.

A part is assigned to each pattern but there are only 4 parts so they will likely be shared amongst your patterns.

It is possible to change loaded effects by using a pattern that uses a different part. Once it is set up, it is as simple as switching patterns.

1 Like

I found this part of your post very interesting.

I can’t prove that Scenes can’t be used to change an effects block, but you can prove that they can; but if you make a video that supports the explanation that we posters in this thread and the manual have provided for the difficulties you are having, how would that make things “clearer” to us?

Scientific method[/quote]
I know I’m not well versed in Elektron terminology but I also know what problem I’m having with my machine.
I wouldn’t be here otherwise…
Maybe I didn’t get the point I was making understood
When words fail, visuals may work!

I found this part of your post very interesting.

I can’t prove that Scenes can’t be used to change an effects block, but you can prove that they can; but if you make a video that supports the explanation that we posters in this thread and the manual have provided for the difficulties you are having, how would that make things “clearer” to us?

Scientific method[/quote]
I know I’m not well versed in Elektron terminology but I also know what problem I’m having with my machine.
I wouldn’t be here otherwise…
Maybe I didn’t get the point I was making understood
When words fail, visuals may work![/quote]

Indeed!

I think I understand what you mean. As far as I can tell, you want to use Scenes to change the effects unit (filter, reverb) on one track. You are sure that the effect on a particular track can be changed by changing a Scene. You believe that your Octatrack used to have this function until really recently, but that some kind of bug or user error on your part when you program a Scene is causing all the Scenes in one Part to assign the same effects to the track. You would like to make a video to demonstrate what is happening. Do I understand you correctly?

Meanwhile, I, switchbox, avantronica, djenzyme, the OT manual, and Merlin’s “Some thoughts on Elektron’s Octatrack” (especially page 24) are telling you that effects units can only be changed by changing Parts, and cannot be changed by changing Scenes.

How could we resolve this discrepancy between you and everyone else and come to a common understanding?

Here’s my proposal:
I suggest that you make a support ticket with Elektron and report your problem. If Elektron gets back to you and reminds you how to change effects using Scenes, I buy you an Elektron instrument of your choice. If they tell you that it is not possible to change effects with Scenes, because the effects assignments are stored with the current Part and Scenes only store parameter values, you buy me an Analog Rytm.

As part of the rules, you are allowed to make as many videos as you like to demonstrate the issue you are having.

This would be a nice fun experiment to demonstrate how confident you are of your beliefs! Shall we do it?

1 Like

Good choice. I would also like to see the video of a smooth effects page transition to another one, when the slider is moved.

(edit: Scratch that, the parameters don’t actually move at the screen with the slider. Oh well…)

So in this video (I apologise for the quality) I set slot B to trig 9 with phaser then I set trig 11 with flanger for the same slot but when I switch slot B back to trig 9 the effect has changed to trig 11’s flanger instead of remaining on phaser. Why? What am I doing wrong?
Isn’t the whole point of having scenes so that you can fade between different effect parameters?

P.S:
Dear Mr. Peter
Thanks for your understanding.
I promise if I could afford you an AR I would gladly buy you as many as you like for your help on this matter but unfortunately I’m not in that position yet!
I’m already in a unsure position about the whole working on this machine with all it’s buttons, knobs and blinking lights glory and you’re confidence in how it works is unnerving so I’m going to follow my gut feeling and politely decline your offer. Even if I did end up winning I wouldn’t be tempted in another Elektron machine to be honest, 3 is more than enough work ATM.
But thank you
I appreciate it

The behaviour you see with your Octatrack is exactly the same with mine and everybody else’s OT: Scenes allow for effects parameters like reverb time or filter cutoff to be changed, but they don’t allow for the effects themselves to be switched (for example from phaser to flanger). That is because the effects assignments (phaser, flanger etc) are assigned at the Part level. You would have to change the Part in order to change the effect block. The Scenes only allow you to fade between different values of the parameters, for example from low filter cutoff frequency to high filter cutoff frequency, or high phaser speed to low phaser speed.
I believe that this now the 11th time that we have told you that on this thread, and perhaps you are beginning to believe it? If so, I’m sorry that I had to make an outrageous offer of a bet in order to get your attention.
The Elektron instruments do indeed have some complex functions, and it’s difficult to remember how it all works if you don’t have time to pay regular attention to all the details. The manuals are difficult to deal with, especially for people whose first language is not English.
It’s late here now, but tomorrow I will try to find you a video that shows you some nice uses of Scenes. There is so much potential in these instruments!

Thanks for your reply.
That was helpful.
I wasn’t aware that you had to switch parts to switch effects.
I feel that it would’ve been more efficient if they had designed it with the 16 trigs as effects slots instead of just parameter value changes.
I understand now the frustration others go through trying to understand this machine
But I’m learning it thanks to people like you
Loads of thanks

The manuals are difficult to deal with, especially for people whose first language is not English.

I agree!

The OT manual has to be the most boring manual I’ve ever read

…to make the parameter changes be included in the Scene, you press and hold Scene A or B button while adjusting the parameter… seriously read the manual.

hi quad3r,

i´m pretty sure everyone here had moments of frustration with the octatrack, but in my
opinion that scene function is pretty easy to understand and it perfectly makes sense how elektron layed it out.
avantronica answered your question already how to realize your phaser - flanger example.
you put a phaser into effect 1 and a flanger to effect 2. now you can lock the parameters to scene A (Phaser - Mix as you like / Flanger Mix to zero) and scene B (Phaser - Mix to zero /
Flanger - Mix as desired). now you can blend in/out these FX.
it totally makes sense that way. there are effect units out there that can morph between
delay/chorus/phaser/flanger type of sounds because these fx share similar parameters. so
it´s imaginable elektron puts in such an effect in the next OS update (i recommend
sending a letter to santa claus with that wish)
but how should a distorted filter setting morph into a delay sound for example ?
the sound in the middle-position of the fader would be … what ?

… despite us telling you that at least 4 times already on the thread!

I found Parts difficult to deal with initially.
I learnt whatever I know form the pioneers on the predecessor forum to Elektronauts: from people like Nils, Daren Ager, tIB, Toni, and many, many more. Hopefully you will be able to pass your knowledge on to others in the future. There’s a lot to explore!

Here’s a couple of nice tutorial videos about the use of Scenes:

It’s 2018, and this thread’s issue has been thoroughly analyzed, discussed, and dissected. I have an Octatrack and soon it will replace my Macbook Pro/Livid Alias8 on stage, which I used to use for doing exactly what quad3r wanted to do. I would open up a single audio track in Logic, and then I created 4-6 bus tracks, each with a different effect. I then would use the knobs and faders to send the vocal audio to each track as pleased. It never made it passed the experimental phase. My octatrack has breathed new life into my dreams of controlling effects live, over what a TC helicon unit can do… I digress…

Quad3r, I understand you pain. That moment when you realize maybe it really can’t do what you want. What this thread lacks is someone to provide an alternative to accomplish your goal. The solution lies in sacrificing as many TRACKS as you can to multiply the effects you want to slide between. Here’s what you CAN do. This is a reduced example, in case no one is listening.

Tracks 1, 2 and 3, set up to process input 1, and send to output 1 (or 1/2). Each track will be Solo’d, and dedicated to sliding between the 2 “FX” on that track, while the other tracks are muted. When you want to instantly change from one “FX pair” to another, simply solo to the next track.

Now if you add PARTS changes to this, you can take the instant changes to another level.

As far as SLIDING between ANY effects, well, no, like everyone else said… that will never happen. You will have to deal with the limitations of each track’s pair of FXs.

Maybe with more experience, one could created “FX” blocks, each on a different track, and then have each scene move the WET/DRY blend of each, and then you’ll be cooking with fire! More experienced users may have more input on these knowledge gaps of mine.

Cheers. Keep Jammin’.