Octatrack scene issues

Hi

I use track 8 as a master track on my OT
I’d like to have 16 different effects saved
I’ve been trying to set different effects to the tracks for the scenes but every time I create an effect for a scene on one track it gets changed over all the other tracks as well.
What am I doing wrong?
Basically I would like to have 16 effects for each of the scenes

I’m not sure, but you seem to have your terminology mixed up.

By “16 different effects” do you mean “16 different combinations of effects”, for example 1 = filter + reverb, 2 = phaser + chorus, etc?
If so, the effects configurations are stored in Parts, not Scenes.

Once you have set up a Part, a Scene is a bunch of parameter values for the particular Part.

Or have I misunderstood your question?

scenes are just for parameter settings …not for different blocks like fx or “machines” …i.e. if you have a delay and a reverb, you can blend between different settings of the reverb and delay from scene 1 to scene 2 or whatever scene you set up…but you can’t blend from scene-1 (reverb/delay) to scene-2 (phaser/filter)…how would that work???

I’m sure that it’s possible to set up 16 different master effects(parts) for switching between scenes.
My OT might have a but if not because every time I switch from one part with set parameters to another one where of like to set different parameters the previous part is changed as well…
Should to be able to set up 16 different parts for scenes?

You seem very confused.

Effects set-ups are stored in Parts. There are four Parts available for every Bank of Patterns, so there are 64 Parts available in one Project.

Scenes do not change Parts. Scenes are available within Parts and comprise saved values of parameters.

Why don’t you give us a specific example of what you want to do so we can talk you through it?

This is where I usually come when I am confused :stuck_out_tongue:
So there are two scenes right? A and B
Each scene can be set up with two effects (1&2)
Then you can assign these effects to the 16 tracks of the step sequencer, correct?
What happens on my OT for example is:
I set up reverb + delay on track one for scene A
Then for scene B I set up Phaser + reverb
However when I check scene A it’s exactly the same as scene B
wtf is happening here?

No.

Each Pattern is associated with a Part. The Part is what stores which effect units are assigned to the tracks. There are 8 audio tracks, not 16.

If you want to instantly change the effects units that are assigned to the tracks, you have to select a different Part or switch to a Pattern that is linked to a different Part.

For each Part, you have 16 Scenes available. Scenes contain values of some specific parameters like phaser speed or reverb time. You can load Scenes to the two Scene slots (A & B) and crossfade between them using the crossfader.

If you try to change the effects units for one Scene in a Part then you change the effects units for all Scenes in a Part (as you have found out).

1 Like

So there are two scenes right? A and B

• no there are 16 scenes in a part (4 parts in a pattern/so 64 scenes)
    but 2 slots to assign them to the fader

Each scene can be set up with two effects (1&2)

-no, each part can hold two effects per track, not a scene (a scene only holds parameter values- different snapshot of the fx -as long as you “parameterlock” them )

Then you can assign these effects to the 16 tracks of the step sequencer, correct?

• no, only to 8 tracks …the other miditracks dont have these fx

What happens on my OT for example is:
I set up reverb + delay on track one for scene A
Then for scene B I set up Phaser + reverb
However when I check scene A it’s exactly the same as scene B
wtf is happening here?

-sure, thats how it works…you can change fx when changing parts but not with scenes

-cheers Peter :wink:

I apologise
I meant 16 trigs a not tracks :stuck_out_tongue:
How do I have each trig with a different effect for the scenes ?

To put a different effect unit on each sequencer trig, you would have to manually change Part on every step, so this is not practicable.

If you want to change an effect unit’s parameter (for example, filter cutoff) to a particular value on every step, use parameter locks on the steps where you want the values to change.

If you want to manually vary the values of some effects parameters using the crossfader, load a Scene to a Scene slot, assign the value for the effects parameter to the Scene, and then use the crossfader to interpolate the value.

You CANNOT change the effects units (for example, change reverb to delay) themselves using Scenes.

You might find it useful to try out the Quick Start exercises in the OT’s manual (page 16), and to read through Merlin’s “Some thought’s on Elektron’s Octatrack” PDF document in order to understand better how Parts and Scenes work.

DNFTT

I love your work Peter, always dropping knowledge all over the place :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help guys
I think I’m just going to do a factory reset because this is something that happened really recently.
I’ve read the manual, I have it with me most times but I believe it’s a bug because I should be able to assign 16 scenes and I can’t do it for some weird reason

What happens when you press Scene button + Trig? You should be able to change Scene A and B to 1-16 this way. I don’t think you need a factory reset as much as reading the manual.

It just saves the last setting over all scenes.
For example:
I press scene A to trig 1, set effects parameters to what I feel sounds nice
Then I move to scene B and set it to trig 5, set effects parameters etc.
Now there should be two scenes up and ready to mix between right?
Not exactly!
The last scene I set up with the effects somehow seems to be copied over all the other scenes as well.
If I set chorus on B and then flanger on A the last setting I made to any of the scenes seem to be pasted on the other scenes as well which in this example means flanger on B as well.
However the only thing that stays are the parameter locks.
So I could set scene A with chorus @127 width and then scene B with flanger @64 mix but as soon as I go back to scene A the chorus has switched to flanger but the width setting will remain @127
I don’t want the same effects on both scenes
Is this a glitch or have I set up something wrong?

You cannot have different effects on both Scenes. You must change Parts, not Scenes, in order to change the effects units.

You will make no progress unless you understand that.

The manual says ‘each part contains 16 scenes. A scene is a set of locked parameter values that can be assigned to the two scene slots…’
I want one scene slot to have one effect and the other scene slot to have a different effect.
I want to use the fader to transition between them…
Quite simple really.
The parts I’m using is the 1st one.
Maybe I should upload a video to make things clearer

Yup. A scene is a set of parameter values, whereas a Part contains track effects assignments (page 60 of the manual). So in order to change the track effects, you have to change Part.

What you want is not possible.

I found this part of your post very interesting.

I can’t prove that Scenes can’t be used to change an effects block, but you can prove that they can; but if you make a video that supports the explanation that we posters in this thread and the manual have provided for the difficulties you are having, how would that make things “clearer” to us?

Scientific method