Octatrack + Rytm (live setup)

So I’m working on a live set with octarack controlling rytm. I use one bank = one song, and when I change bank on the octatrack it automaticly changes to a new bank on the Rytm. The thing is, then I can only have 8 banks on the Rytm so only total 8 songs. I need more, and I don’t know how to work on a liveset now.
Does anybody have any sugestions how I should set it up in a good other way when playing live.

Not sure what you mean by banks but cant you just program change to different patterns that are blank and have a different kit assigned to each pattern?

No because If I work with banks in octatrack and uses program change to rytm. It will change the bank on rytm as well. So when I’m on the bank nr 9 on octatrack it will go back to the first bank A on rytm.

Right. That’s the thing. The OT follows a different metaphor for banks and kits and it is very frustrating. Consider disabling ‘send program change’ and coming up with a way to keep track of the pairings.

Edit, you do have four parts per bank on the OT. There are ways to double up. For me I use pattern 1-4 for part 1, etc.

Do you need all 16 patterns in a bank for a given song, or are you willing to put patterns from more than one song in a bank?

1 Like

Yes Im dealing with the same situation with the OT + AK. Im coming to realize that I can probably fit about 2 or 3 songs comfortably inside one bank, using the 4 parts on the OT within the bank to keep it together. I like to have the ability to change lots of stuff quickly so I try to keep it at 2 songs per bank (so I have 2 parts per song) - but Ive found during playtime things tend to get crazy on their own and often some kind of unplanned mutant song will emerge from the chaos - so sometimes it ends up being more like 3 or 4 improvised songs emerging from the 2 songs I have (somewhat) clearly laid out in my head.

Its working out pretty well for me so far - of course its going to depend on the type of music you are making and how you use the patterns or whatever.

Im definitely still in the learning process of getting my shit together with the boxes, and Ive had the pair together for a few months. There is a lot of stuff to keep track of mentally, and Ive found it takes a fair amount of effort to really get the good stuff rolled up nice and tight - but once you get there its like “whoa… I cant go back now”. I do appreciate things where the more you put into it, the more you get out of it - and its fair to say that kind of demand is quite real with elektron gear, IMHO.

1 Like

This is my “Blocks of 4” approach.

On AR I have 4 “songs” per bank each using 4 patterns. Using live muting these can become more.

On OT I do the same 4 “songs” per bank. Each song uses 1 part and 4 patterns. 4 parts used across the 16 patterns.

This will give you 4x8= 32 songs on AR and 4x16= 64 songs on OT.

Keeps both boxes similar structure (Blocks of 4).

Then you can mix between songs on each box as a dj would only you have control of each of the sounds individually :wink:

I dont use program changes between these boxes as per the issue you had. If you later get a A4 you can “pair” this to AR via program changes no probs :wink:

5 Likes

It is a shame the RYMT doesn’t has multimap.
That way you could trigger any pattern from the OT using a MIDI track and MIDI notes.

1 Like

I’m with @s3kn0tr0n1c on this.

Try 4 tunes per pattern bank, instead. Get creative with Rytm’s fills, mutes, and macros to squeeze more out of a single pattern and go with 4 patterns per song instead of 16. It also allows you to quickly “direct jump” between tunes in a single pattern bank.

This will give you 32 tunes in a Rytm project.

2 Likes

I use song mode in my rytm, so i just change the song. Now i dont care anymore where the patterns are i use. This gave me a lot of extra space in my rytm

1 Like

How do you keep the patterns in time on other machines using this method?

There is a discussion about it somewhere on the forum, linking different machines in song mode…
What i do is simpel… i just link them in midi, so my synth changes pattern with the pattern changes of my rytm.

I usually use 4 patterns each song… dont need more. I create tention by using perf, scene, and mutes. I started to use song mode to automate and optimize my mutes… but found out it helps a lot to create overview of my songs, since i dont pattern change manually.

Hi there,
I like this approach - but can you help me set this up on my Rytm please?

So I set up Bank A with four different patterns… are these the “four songs” per bank?

Does the kit save/change with pattern? Do I need to name each pattern ir are they just locked to a trig key?

Thanks in advance - I was trying to get my patterns and kits to change by using song save/load last night and it wasn’t working…, but I like your idea better I think.

Yes just share 1 kit across 4 patterns. eg. Bank A, Kit 1, patterns 1-4 is one song. Bank A, Kit 2, patterns 5-8 another song.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you for sharing.
In this scenario, you are not using program change at all, and changing the patterns/banks manually on the OT & Rytm?

Yeh … Only master clock shared between AR and OT

1 Like

Is there a way with this setup to have different samples in the same flex tracks for the 4 different parts (songs)?

• Sample chains? But then I have to make those…
  • Sample locks on the trigs?

I do this with an OT and just use sample locks because I use Parts for different sets of scenes per Bank. It obviously takes a bit of setting up but using the aforementioned blocks of 4 and some notes (mental or physical - I find masking tape very useful!) you can get a lot of mileage out of one bank and in practice I’ve never needed more than four “songs” per bank.

1 Like

I used sample chains in my setup, a very good software to make them is Octachainer:

You just drag and drop the wav files, set the tracks settings and the software generates the audio and .ot files so everything is setup in the OT to use them as slices. Helped me a huge deal!

1 Like

By the way, a great set using an OT + Rytm setup:

2 Likes